“Really disappointed, serious service problems, horrible value” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Padang Padang Surf Camp

Padang Padang Surf Camp
busan, south korea
“Really disappointed, serious service problems, horrible value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

My wife and I stayed for 4 days and I was really looking forward to finishing off our Bali honeymoon here. It ended up becoming a nightmare and almost ruined the trip. Ive never felt so unwelcome and uncomfortable at a hotel in my life. Much better accommodation and surf lessons can be gotten for half the price and probably without the attitude, confrontation, and bad service at this place.

The Room. We paid 90euro/nt for a basic small room with a toilet shower combo and a fan. 90euro is a small fortune for the area and was much worse than i expected. The bathroom was small and dingy with cobwebs on the ceiling. We got one cheap towel each for the 3 night stay and although they clean the room everyday, they basically just make the bed and refill the soap. 90euro/nt doesnt buy air conditioning? In bali? cmon. Also, what hotel (not hostel) do you pay per person? Charged for double and no discount even though my wife doesnt surf.

I think the problem with this place is that the owners forgot that they have a business with customers and that the hotel is not their living room. I couldnt believe that we payed as much as we did and got treated like unwelcome couch surfers.

The Staff. I was the only surfer in the intermediate advanced group which meant it was just me and the guide and sometimes the owner Andrew. The surf guides, once in the water were all pretty good. Im a decent surfer but got help figuring out the new lineups and most did give up set waves to me. This does not go for the owner Andrew. When he comes along, not only is he generally unfriendly, he competes with you for waves like he doesnt know you. I was pretty shocked. I dont expect all the staff to just give me every wave but he shouldnt be hassling me for waves. This was one of the many times that I was like "what am i paying for?" By the way, i guess because i was the only one in the intermediate group, out of 5 sessions that I surfed with them, the never took a single picture. I asked about it and Andrew said, "we take pictures everyday" i guess just not of my group? Not one single photo, I was really bummed.

The Staff. The actual hotel staff was generally rude. Was totally ignored when I asked politely for a beer from the only worker there. Repeated politely and he looked up from the computer annoyed and pointed to the kitchen and said "ask them". There was nobody where he was pointing. I asked him again, he sighed, checked his phone, and then dramatically walked to the kitchen and handed me a beer without looking at me and sat back down. That was a pretty good example of the attitude there.

Probably the worst thing about staying herel is the constant presence of Andrew's wife Ina, who seems to run the place. She walks around super hyper, barking orders (never politely or phrased as a question) and basically scolding people. Ive been to hostels in Europe with old ladies who run the place similarly but it seemed kinda charming then. Ina was the opposite of charming and she was like poison to the vibe there. She repeatedly told my wife that she had to finish her meal so that she doesnt "waste my food". When we arrived she took us around explaining the huge list of things you cant do or what you have to do, again never nicely, always in a scolding tone. Never once did anyone ask "how is everything?" or "how can we help you?". not even close. Picture this, reading quietly in a hammock next to the pool, silence interrupted by a shrill voice asking "is that bathing suit wet?!!" or "take off your shoes!!!" or "you order now or no breakfast!!!" Goodbye peaceful meditative state.

For the record, this is my first negative review, and we actually had an awesome trip besides this place. Maybe its a better experience for beginner surfers because they are so tired after lessons that they dont notice the place is a ripoff.

My advice, go to a nicer hotel across the street called Lullaby Bungalows and if you are a beginner, get surf lessons from one of the many companies. If you have surfing experience, just get a scooter. Access to all the major breaks is clearly marked and you can get waves on your own.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank busanteacher
balisurfing, Manager at Padang Padang Surf Camp, responded to this review, 23 September 2010
The reviewer stayed 3 nights and it got off to a bad start when he didn’t wake up in time for the first morning session which was scheduled for 6am. There was another session scheduled for 9am and he was clearly informed the time of both sessions but did not confirm which session he would join or request anyone to wake him up. He angrily joined us about 8am towards the end of the session at Dreamland. Later he told Ina he expected her to wake him up! We are staffed 24H/7 and will provide wake up call on request.
On return to the surf camp he decided to wash the mud off his flip flops, and the sand off his feet in the swimming pool. Ina politely informed him that the swimming pool was not the place for washing shoes – there is a shower at the entrance to the surf camp and a hose pipe near the dining area. He regularly used the swimming pool so hard to understand why he would want to wash his muddy flip flops in it – we were rather surprised he done this.
The following morning he told me how helpful the surf guide was assisting him to get waves at Uluwatu. He asked about our daily surfing photo service and I told him that the photographer went with the other group today and yesterday as they were a much larger group, but that he was booked to go with the advance group tomorrow morning. We had an enjoyable lunch together and our surf guide was scheduled to take him surfing at 2:15pm. I had a nap after lunch in the hammock upstairs and was awoken by someone shouting my name and then running up the stairs. He showed me his watch which was 2:36pm and said that he had asked the guide about going surfing but he had turned his back on him. I told him it was completely unacceptable to be kept waiting for more than 20 minutes and that I would deal with it immediately. I went downstairs to find the surf guide ready to go and the real time was only 1:18pm. I was informed by 3 people (staff and guests) that at 2:10pm the reviewer asked our guide if he was ready to go and he said not yet. When the reviewer asked why he was not ready he said because it was only 2:10pm and he would be ready by 2:15pm – at this time the reviewer was informed his watch was incorrect – but decided to wake me up and make a big issue of nothing. After establishing the situation I went back to the reviewer at 2:20pm and informed him his watch was wrong and the guide was ready to go at the agreed time. He already knew his watch was wrong and his complaint was without any fact or foundation (based on the information from the 3 people who saw and overheard his conversation with the surf guide, and the fact that his watch was around 20 minutes fast). He then went surfing with the guide. Hard to understand why he wanted to make a complaint about the surf guide who acted correctly and courteously and gave him good service.
The story about asking politely for a beer and being told “ask them” is just that – a story. The reviewer was certainly not shy in complaining about the staff but did not mention this incredible story to me.
The following morning was his scheduled departure date and we had organised a personal surf guide and photographer for him. He informed us that he did not want to go surfing that morning and preferred to have transport to kuta where he had already booked a hotel.
The reviewer was recommended to the surf camp by a regular guest and was provided with excellent service and provided with the accommodation that he booked. He did not request an air-conditioned room. When he booked he asked if we gave discount for non surfers and was informed that we do not discount for non surfers, on the basis that we provide transport service to and from the beach by the non surfer (which his wife took advantage of). If there were cobwebs on the ceiling I am sure he would have taken a photo of it so he could share the experience.
The staff informed us that the reviewer would not even reply to a good morning and were quite intimidated by him. I sensed early that he could be a difficult customer and ensured that we were organised so that he had no cause for complaint i.e. ensuring an excellent surf guide was punctual and helpful. If the reviewer had attended the morning session he would have had a photographer service, and we would have made available for him an afternoon session if he had requested one.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

This was a trip that I will never forget, the overall experience was just superb with only a few minor blemishes (all trips have problems, it's just how many, how bad, were they my fault, and were they avoidable).

This was my first time at a surf camp, and my first trip to Bali, so I wasn't sure where to go, where to stay, etc. It was to be a full-on surf trip, with maximum surf time in the best waves possible, so I agreed with my wife's suggestion that I should try a guided surf camp (she stayed home so I wouldn't feel guilty about leaving her at the camp!).

If you don't know the waves and don't have transport, this is a great way of maximising your surf experience. I've been surfing for about 35 years and rate myself as competent, so I didn't go for the surf lessons. I wanted expert local advice, good company and transport, and I got them all (although in varying amounts).

The Facilities:
The camp itself was excellent. I had one of the basic rooms, and it was fairly basic. Double bed with mozzie net (not many mozzies but I got a few bites one night when I left it open), 2 bedside drawers, and small ensuite with hot water (but I didn't need it as it's nice to cool down). There wasn't much storage space though. The room was cleaned daily. The camp itself was kept very clean, and I never had any issues with cleanliness or hygiene.

The People:
Andrew and Ina are the owner-managers. Some people seem to have problems with Ina, but I didn't. One time there was a mixup with ordering taxis and a guest got annoyed even tho Ina did as she was asked. I wonder if similar misunderstandings were the cause of some of the other grumblings? There are rules there, you are guests, so you should do your best to abide by them. I don't have a problem with that. I guess if you want to do as you please, regardless of the effect on others, then maybe you should go elsewhere and leave us to enjoy well-run places with rules.

Probably the only real blemish I had was with Andrew. I don't think he'll like me saying this, but he should accept feedback, both good & bad, and work on fixing the negatives. He probably gets tired of answering the same questions, like how to get out at Uluwatu, how big would it be at Balangan, etc, but as host he should expect the same questions and he should answer them. Not just as host, but also as the primary source of information about the area. That's his job. But it was like getting blood out of a stone.

The guides for the advanced group were Putu and Gunung - 2 super-hot local surfers who were very encouraging and helpful. If Gunung says paddle left, do it because he was correct each time! Cheeky kid too!

I can't comment on the surf instructors, but the other guests generally had very positive things to say about them, so I guess these guys are pretty good.

The Food:
What can I say - fantastic. Breakfast was plentiful, with fresh fruit, omelettes, etc. Lunch was different each day, extra helpings if you want, and delicious local food. We went with Andrew, Ina & Zoe (their delightful little 2(?)yo daughter) for a couple of dinners, walked to a couple of local restaurants for a few, and went in to Jimbaran for another. I was never hungry!

The Experience:
Overall, it was a fantastic experience. The vibe was great, it was lots of fun going surfing and dining with the other guests, hanging around between surfs, snoozing, swimming, reading, slowing down to Bali time. Each time someone left, there was a swapping of contact info, goodbyes, hugs - we all became friends, and that was what sets this experience above doing it on your own.

Maybe the only other downer was the surf. It really only turned on for a day and the crowds were as bad as back home, but the water was warm and I still had some great waves (including Racetrack 4-5ft (faces) to myself - magic).

I thoroughly recommend it. And next time, my wife will be joining me!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Greg-n-Lee
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

I didn’t stay at the camp cause I tried to book some days before but it was obviously full in the peak season (I can just tell it is very nice inside, quiet and with large common area), then I rate only the surf school I tried for four days.
All the surf staff was very helpfull with me, we became friendly easier and i spent with them good time laughting in the water and outside. They really care about the safety of surf, having in the water one istructor for at least two or three people, instead of one other surf school I tried there, who let you go in the rips and big sets with other 10 beginner and only two teachers.
The Indonesian teachers are professional, choosing the right spot to surf every day and the good tide to go out. I saw them every moment in the water concentrated to let you do the best progress in less time, explaining the movement to correct mistakes, looking the right position in the water in order to catch the best waves, and finally, guarantee for your safety looking at you in every moment, always laughing and having fun with the group. I should be very thankful to my teacher Gunung, a pro indonesian surfer, for the progress i made in my surfing. In summary very high level standard surf class.
I really hope to be also their guest next year.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank fabioroma80
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Okay, here is my honest assessment of this camp.

+Pluses+:
- Best thing about camp is how seriously they pick the surf spots. They really do their research and pride themselves on this. They have a pretty cool website too that uploads daily surf reports.
- Andrew and his wife, Inna, are overall friendly people. They are always willing to take you out to dinner and help out.
- Their adorable little girl, Zoe, wins the hearts of many. she is always hanging around the camp.
- You can surf 2 times a day for no additional cost.
- You are so close to uluwatu and the advanced group will surf that a lot. It's beautiful.

-Minuses-:
- Camp actually has the potential to be one of the best but sadly, this was the only camp I stayed in where you are not given a feedback form or something like that. There are so many things the owners don't know about their own camp!
- Only 2 of my guides ever really did their job and stayed with you. Most just liked to take waves on their own. This was the case except when the owner's kids came out with us or Inna, the wife, came out to surf with the group. (or observe)
- Steamy, one of the guides, hits on every single woman guest who is thin and cute. And when you refuse his advances, you pay for it in the water. He literally stops talking to you. Scarey but another reason why they should have guests rate each guide after their stay. It was one of the most off-putting aspects of this camp.
- Inna, though a really nice person outside of the camp, polices guests left and right. You are asked not to sit on lounge chairs if you have a wet bathing suit. She constantly asks people to take their shoes off. She barks orders out into the open so the whole camp can hear, ruining the peaceful atmosphere. Basically, a bad case of micro-management. Sadly, she is very much disliked by the guides, who complained about her incessantly in front of the guests every time she came surfing with us. the staff also complain about her though not as openly as the guides do. the micro-managing made my stay very uncomfortable.
- It was a pain to get around at night with cabs to find dinner. (they don't serve dinner there). You can only walk to 2 places or so. It always seemed like a chore.

This place would be great if the family could separate themselves from the surf camp a bit. It's no fun having someone police you around all the time and you feel as if you're invading someone's home. If you don't want people sitting on your cushions because they are wet, get ones with plastic coverings. End of story. Definitely DON'T have a micro-manager (and definitely not the wife!) roaming about the premises. just ruins the experience for the guests ( I'm not the only one who shared this sentiment). Hire an outside manager. If they had guests evaluate the experience and the guiding, I have no doubt they could make this one of the best camps. But coming to a place where you are being policed around and where even the staff and guides don't hesitate to make it known how much they don't like the resident wife/manager, is very uncomfortable. As well, you can tell Andrew and Inna are irritated from having to answer the same questions over and over again to so many guests. Another reason they need someone to help them manage it. Some of the guides, in my opinion, should also go (like Steamy and Gunnung) but hopefully the camp can figure out in the future who is doing a good job and who isn't. You can't expect honest feedback from asking people right there. there really needs to be a mechanism for this. There are other guides who are really good and take the guiding process seriously. All in all, if you want to come here, I recommend staying someplace else, and doing the surf sessions with the group if possible (request Koyok as your guide or the young school-aged kid there who is also an excellent guide) until the camp can sort out its management which is too home grown for the quality and experience for which people are expecting.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank surfariseeker
balisurfing, Manager at Padang Padang Surf Camp, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
We believe that ItellitAsIseeIt who stayed here in Februrary 2010 opinion represents the majority view of our guests who like a clean, homely, family run establishment. The reviewer was determined to sit on the cushions with wet bather and while she may well do this at home, with or without plastic covers, she was thwarted at every attempt here. We believe that the majority of our guests sit on a sofa with the reasonable expectation that they will not have a wet bum from the previous occupier.
The reason establishments like starbucks have feedback forms that you can email to the management is because the management is not present at the establishment and so can not evaluate the performance of the staff or the customer experience. They want the feedback by email as the staff can throw in the bin any negative feedback. We don’t need forms to evaluate the dining experience as we sit at the same table with the guests eating the same food. We also evaluate the surfing staff performance daily by regularly joining the surf sessions and asking the guests directly. The morning surf sessions are also audited by our photographer and if a guest does not have any good surf photographs we will ask for an explanation from the surf instructors. In addition to in house performance reviews we employ an expert surf instructor trainer to accredit all our surfing staff to international standard and ensure they have the highest standard of training.
Fabioroma80 who stayed here in August 2010 had a completely different view of the instructors mentioned in this review. It is not unusual for guests to have a preferred surf instructor and when requested we will allocate the instructor they want if at all possible. The most effective communication method is the one that has been in existence for thousands of years – face to face talking. Actually looking at facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, use of words etc is still miles ahead of modern technologies such as Telephone, SMS, Email, Video conferencing, web forums etc and we offer no excuses to relying on old fashioned methods to communicate directly with our guests. In any case, all our guests have our email address if they want to give feedback using the same method of communication as used by large corporations.
There are 5 international quality restaurants in walking distance of the surf camp serving delicious fresh food at very reasonable prices 1. Ulu Thai (Asian & Thai food), 2. Sunset grill (Mexican) 3. Star Deli (American) 4. 3D (Balinese barbeque), 5 Yeye (Western & Asian). Many other local restaurants which serve tasty food but are not of international standard. 15 minute drive brings you to Italian fine dining and world famous Jimbaran seafood restaurants. We typically frequent one of these restaurants for dinner, or occasionally go to kuta or seminyak. Bali is a dining experience not to be missed and definitely not a chore.
Northern beaches, Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

I stayed at the Padang padang Surf Camp in March 2010. I was looking for a relaxing surf trip where everything was done for me away from the hustle and bustle of Kuta/Legian.

My flight arrived in Bali and I was met by Koyok at the airport with a nice big Padang Padang Surf Camp sign. He promptly drove me to the camp where I was met by Andrew and Lina (the owners) and shown to my room and given a brief run down of the mornings activities to ensure I got the first surf in. It was a great welcome.

My room was fantastic - quiet, clean and comfortable - all I ask. It was cleaned and made up daily which was fantastic. At night the camp is nice and quiet which is essential to me - I like my rest.

During the day everything was kept nice and clean too. The communal areas are constantly kept neat and clean. Lina runs a tight ship and ensures the guests respect the space as well making sure everyone enjoys the experience more.

The food was excellent. Breakfast and lunch were part of the deal and I did not have a bad meal the whole time I was there. There is also plenty of it when you're surfing a lot. At night we went to local restaurants for dinner and enjoyed everything from Mexican, Italian, Indonesian, Thai, Chinese and more. These restaurants were all exceptional value and really high quality. Andrew either drove to the restaurant or we walked and it was always relaxing with the him, his wife and the other guests.

The surf was great too. Each morning and afternoon we went surfing and the guides - Koyok, Steamy, Gunung, Putu - were all really helpful. They were excellent for getting the beginners into some easy waves and standing up and helping the more experienced surfers like me get to the bigger surf. They even managed to get me into some uncrowded waves at a secret spot.

All in all it was a very relaxing holiday with heaps of good waves, good food and good times.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

My boyfriend and I have been going to Padang Padang Surf Camp (PPSC) since December 2008, at one point we were heading back to camp every other weekend because we just couldn't get enough of the place and the surf!

We have recommended this place to so many of our friends.

We have been back to camp around 20 times over the past few years and whilst we have been there we have seen all ages and walks of life come through the doors which shows how this is a sport for all and these guys are the ones to paddle out with.

Ina, Andrew (owners) and all the boys (surf instructors) are brilliant, it's like you become a member of a cool family with a load of big brothers to show you the etiquette of surfing.

Whether you are a beginner or a old hand at surfing, PPSC will make sure they find the right conditions for you, so there is less time spent as a novice trying to work out where to go and at what time of the day to get the right tides. Just leave it to them and they lead you to the best spots in Bali. No crowds, nice sets and all the right conditions to try and improve your confidence.

Apart from looking after you in the water they are also brilliant at looking after you at home. The camp is beautiful, rooms are pretty with daily fresh flowers, fresh clean sheets and en suite, infinity pool to chill after a hard days paddle, tennis court for those who still have the energy and THE BEST FOOD EVER!

The camp is big enough that you have enough room to tuck yourself away with a book and have a snooze on one of the many hammocks or make new friends from all around the world.

If you want to get out and about the camp help organise taxis, or will give you a lift if they are heading in the same direction, they can give you great advice too on where to shop or sightsee.

PPSC is a little gem, I could rewrite all the other stuff other people have but the facts are below - Padang Padang surf camp is a great place to learn to surf.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pecatu
Suarga Padang Padang
Sal Secret Spot
Sal Secret Spot
#6 of 7 in Uluwatu
Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort

Been to Padang Padang Surf Camp? Share your experiences!