Rapture Surfcamp Bali
Flamingo Dewata Villa and Chapel(Pecatu)(Great Value!)
US$250
US$72
Uluwatu Cottages(Pecatu)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$92
Le Grande Bali(Pecatu)(Great Value!)
US$51
US$42
PinkCoco Bali(Pecatu)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$86
US$28
Agoda.com
S Resorts Hidden Valley Bali(Pecatu)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$54
Mamo Hotel(Pecatu)
US$57
US$47
Agoda.com
Medori Putih Homestay(Pecatu)(Great Value!)
US$21
US$20
The edge(Pecatu)
US$1,146
US$923
Agoda.com
Puri Uluwatu Villas(Pecatu)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$147
All reviewsrapture surf campsurf instructorssurf spotsintermediate grouppandanpadang padangbreakfast and dinnersurf shackbeautiful campdorm roombeginners and intermediatesgreat surflearn howtheory lessonspizza nightoatsgood vibes
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was my first time in Bali and the Rapture was a good choice.
The staff is helpfull and nice.
The room was clean.
The camp is at 10 min driving from almost every spots in the Bukit.
I had a really great time here.
A Special thx to Mitch.

• Stayed: May 2014
Rapturesurfcampbali, Owner at Rapture Surfcamp Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2015

Thanks for this great to mention mitch hes a great guy

Reviewed 11 June 2014

When I left Switzerland the help the guys /girls provided via Facebook was fantastic.

The google reviews sounded very convincing so I went down to Pecatu area which is 30 min from Kuta area away (main area where most of the things usually go down).

I talked to Jasmine (who booked my course for six days (she was very helpful) and obviously of the same nationality sometimes helps. My opinion of her consultation (in respect to what course I should take 1day / 3days / 6 days) seemed fair and comprehensible.

I was instructed well what to bring (sun creme, little money for lunch.. etc.)

First day we picked up T-shirts at camp. And then I just got a beginners board. I had no clue about anything anyway.

We went out to Padang Padang.

"Introduction" : everybody stands in a circle. Guy called "dicky" which had been behaving like an immature teenager during the drive to the spot (from camp) gives a very unclear speech in Australian English. English is my mother tongue but often I couldn't understand the guy.

He asked 1 question (who had booked what course?) and asked some jargon questions and used words like paddling / channel / tail etc... which I really did not understand at all (O.K. paddling was somehow understandable out of the context later but again if you've never seen a surf board or stood on one you can't expect people to understand what "popping up" or p"paddling" means.

People now split into 3 different groups.

This guy who is absolutely demotivated talks for five minutes about ocean safety. Half of it not understandable for the German girls which were in my group so I had to translate and their English was really good. Quick introduction to paddling / popping up and holding your balance.

Off we go in to the water. Not a sandy beach but all sharp stones and very difficult to walk. We are told to surf down the wave and then take a " safe channel " between the mushroom rock and the cliffs.

Our guide is so quick all the beginners cannot possibly follow him. First big wave of anxiety rises looking at the 1.5-2 meter high waves. I'm surprised and anxious as I did not expect these kind of waves in the beginning (but I tag along because I think this must be some kind of minimal depth / hight for waves). Water gets really deep. Our "surf instructor Andy" is gone. I don't see him anymore.

Somehow one of the girls of my group show me the path to him.

NO clear instructions. NO help. NO idea what I'm doing. The guy just tells me to "paddle paddle paddle". And then at some random point to pop up from the board.

I surf down take the safe channel to get behind the waves. this time the waves are even beginner and I really struggle hard to even get through (tiredness as well). I'm struggling and panicking because I keep tipping of the board. I shout and wave my hand for help. NObody sees me. I do it again. Some more experienced surfers from our group help me out and show me what to do. I really felt that if I had been a weak guy / less physically trained another person could have easily drowned.

I felt really unsafe out there all alone and not happy at all.

The whole morning this keeps happening. The afternoon he finally starts to realize the waves were too big for us so he takes us into shallower water.. WHAT A SMART IDEA! (sorry for my sarcasm)

Again he's not motivated, not nice, not happy and beach is totally unsuitable (scars everywhere from the stone cuts)

After the first attempt I would have quit. I gave them a second chance. It was no good.

I went to the reception and confronted Jasmine with those facts because in my opinion it is only a matter of time until someone drowns or gets serioulsy injured. (By reading other reviews apparently this has happened already). She asked the manager (the immature teenager to have the situation explained by me) and my guide had no say in it and was sitting outside of the discussion (he was left out).

When we discussed this issue in an open circle, I told them what I felt as a guy / as a beginner.

After having listened to my concerns, Jasmine took up the input as a serious issue while all the other instructors were just trying to reject my FACTUAL criticism and trying to put it off as the "newbie" that has no experience and that I would not be able to judge because this is my first time.

I defended my position saying that it's nothing personal I just wanted to tell them that it could happen sooner or later (that somebody would drown) AND that it is not what the surf instructor sees as a threat (big waves) but rather the surf student which cannot properly judge whether something was dangerous or not. But having a negative feeling is always a bad sign and feeling left alone is even worse. So that's what I told them to improve.

They offered me a second day to try it at a different spot but I refused to go on a second day with them.

I had to pa / I payed one day.

I really cannot recommend this school at all for beginners (no theory, no practicing). The surf classes are useless (described above). The guided lessons are useless as well you might as well rent a board and go off on your own if you have the experience. (from what I hard from other participants)

Overall expensive for what you get and very bad service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
16  Thank Ritravelleraa
Rapturesurfcampbali, Owner at Rapture Surfcamp Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Before you left we had our discussion and you came to the conclusion that surfing just wasn't for you especially when you cant swim. You were told you didn't have to pay but you insisted to pay the day you used and we refunded your other 5 days and you were happy when you left and still you go ahead and write terrible untrue words. You did book group lessons and i believe if you had private lessons you would have been fine. BUT

Sometimes in life you come across people who you just cannot please doesn't matter how much you do for them or how well you treat them. As you can see from 81 of my previous excellent reviews and my now 2 terrible reviews which one is yours i think we are doing a great job and my guides are trying there best. Its not easy for an Indonesian to speak perfect English considering they teach themselves and schooling here is terrible and teaches them nothing, so i'm sorry but dicky and all my staff try there hardest to speak the best English they can and for someone like you who thinks he deserves better English then go to a country which has English as there mother tongue dont come to Bali which is INDONESIAN language.

If you come on holidays with a bad attitude then your going to go nowhere and have a bad holiday so dont blame my staff who are my good friends and do the most they can for me and my buisness and 99% of my cleints will back them on this.

Dicky has an Australian accent as im Australian and im his boss who tries to teach him english and his qualifications are Australian standards ASI.

AS we can see from your 20 page essay review on every second of the day you are in need of some fun in your life so go out and enjoy life its to short to sit in your room writing bad words about good people, i take insults very serious on my staff/friends who do there best and that's all that matters at the end of the day. I hope you find happiness in your life come back and give it another try your more than welcome but come with a good attitude please.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Had a great time at Rapture. The instructors were experienced and very good teachers. They had us all up on waves in no time. Would definitely recommend this to people looking to surf in bali. You can also walk or scooter to lots of things nearby.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thanks Bianca for your kind words it helps all to see how it really is in our surf school i hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here for 8 days in March doing beginner classes. Had an amazing time with great people, from people on a 2 week holiday to those backpacking for longer and the Rapture team. Accommodation was clean, quiet, cool and laid out around the pool which was great to relax with a milkshake after surfing. The instructors took us to the best spots for our level each day at the right time, and they get you up and surfing quickly - I'd never surfed before - and make sure you stay safe and learn the etiquette!!! Food was a good mix each night and lots of it. Josh, Maggie and the team make everything easy and help you with what you need - scooters, day trips, surf equipment and advice. There are a few restaurants that you can walk to nearby and shop and launderette. I hope I'll be back or if not at least to try the closer Portugal camp. Thanks for a great few days, new friends and new skills!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 132SmithL

People like you make a great camp loved having you here and would love to see you again thanks Gorgeous

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I was lucky enough to spend two months teaching yoga at the Rapture camp. As soon as I arrived I felt like I was part of the family. It is such a relaxed environment that it is impossible not to enjoy yourself there. I had an absolutely fantastic time and learned so much during my time there. Whether with Sunny in the kitchen (delicious food with a smile!), or surfing out with Dicky, Kadek, and Andy (who are full of laughs, yet provide a safe environment), there was always something new to take home with me. Josh has created a really incredible camp that will always hold a special place in my heart. I hope to return one day to continue surfing and living the good life. Just go!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Talia W

Talia as ive said before in previous responses its great good people who make my camp so much fun and homely so thanks for coming and really hope to see you again in Bali or where ever you are keep in contact and thankyou