Mistro Homestay
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Duo Romance Hotel(Hualien City)
View Hotel
The Fantasy Apartment(Hualien City)
Meci Hotel(Hualien City)
View Hotel
Li Shin Hotel(Hualien City)
Ocean Hotel(Hualien City)
View Hotel
Hualien Naluwan Hotel(Hualien City)
  • Restaurant
Chantai Hotel(Hualien City)
Debonair Motel(Hualien City)
  • Restaurant
Fairy Tale Motel(Hualien City)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe ground floorensuite bathroomthe ownertrain stationhome staytaroko gorgeclairechinesetour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 May 2012

There are several good reviews on Trip Advisors website. I chose to stay here after looking the reviews. Similar to my preview review on another hotel in Hualien. I agree with some of the review but I am not satisfied. I stayed for 2 nights with my family, so we booked a double room adding one bed to the room. Checking in on 25th May 2012 and checking out on the 27th May 2012 for NT2300 per night.

Booking process

It was quite simple, just email the owner who goes by the name of Claire and she will reply you within a day. Or you can give her a call too. You would need to pay 50% deposit upon confirmation. What irked me was that she mentioned that there are only 2 rooms available. If I don’t book now, it may be too late. But when we turn up on 25th, we are the only family there. On the 26th there were one family and another couple. So I don’t think it was full occupancy eh.

Checking In

Mistro Homestay offers pick up service but be sure to let the owner know beforehand. It was mentioned that it was free on most reviews but the website only mentioned that they provide this service. So they may decide to charge a fee in the future. Claire did not even mention about it and emailed me “see you at the homestay”. Only until I asked, then she said she will pick me up.

Facilities

There are not much facilities to talk about. The room was pretty simple. It was more of a place to sleep in and I think you pay mainly for the location as it was located near the train station.
I was assigned a room on the first level as my mum is not comfortable with climbing stairs. The toilet was location outside the room instead of inside. Therefore being at level 1, some guest may “borrow” your toilet for use.

There is nothing much in my room except for a television, tissue box and 2 really small tables. No chairs, nothing else. The refrigerator mentioned on the website was a common one in the kitchen. There is no bottled water provided but there are cups and a water dispenser at the common area.

Wifi as mentioned on the website and by other reviewers is available on the level 1. So the good thing is I can surf the web while inside the room. No LAN points are available.

Breakfast is provided for. But I was surprised that I was issued Macdonald’s voucher. I thought I saw from the website or some other reviewers that it was cooked food. Walking to and fro to Mac will take around 30min. The owner offered to change to something new for Day 2 but I declined.

Yup, she will help you find a taxi driver to bring you around if you want to. But of course, she will earn some commission because the taxi driver refused to tell me the rate and asked me to liaise directly with the owner. I will not quote the price over me. Message me if you wish to know.
The driver she recommended was not bad. Above average I would say as he can chat with my dad. Not sure if he is able to chat up with group of youths.

The owner asked if we would like her to “clean up” the room. We declined but we were surprised that she did not change our towels in the bathroom. We just do not want to trouble to arrange our bed as there is no need to. However, cleaning up the room is one thing, changing the towel for hygiene purposes is another. So do remember to ensure that they are changed if you are staying at Mistro.

Checking out

Again, she did not ask if I would like her to fetch, so I dropped her a message and she said ok. Anyway she turned up quite early to clean up the bedroom of others and I guess maybe she will turn up anyway. She was quite courteous and bid us goodbye by shaking our hands.

Overall

It is just a place to chill. If the homestay is full, maybe you can make some friends from other countries in the lobby. If not the facilities available are limited. And paying NT2300 for a night is not quite worth it. I think a 3star hotel room for 4 people at http://www.cj-hotel.com/main.php costs about the same.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank xumbie
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is a really good homestay. From the moment we stepped in, the owner, Claire, had been the most helpful. There were a lot of times where she really went out of her way to help us arrange our itinerary, getting transport etc. Her heart was so big, it made hualien even bigger than it already is.

The room is very beautiful as well. Very clean and self contained. The common area on the first floor had free wifi and was very cosy.

Definitely recommend everyone to stay here!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed at Mistro and would definitely recommend it - Claire was a great host, went out of her way to help out guests and help them get oriented to the town. The place is clean and well-maintained, with tea available anytime downstairs. The main floor (common space) has wifi with a good signal. The location is about a 5-10 minute walk from the train station, on a pretty quiet street that's almost all homestays. It's also just around the corner from the river, which has a dedicated biking/walking trail that leads down to a series of nice little parks. I recommend renting a bike or taking taxis to the east side of town - some great restaurants and markets in that area.

Room Tip: One of the larger rooms (I think on the second floor?) has a balcony, might be worth requesting! Note there's no elevator, so if stairs are an issue there is one room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank C O
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Was deciding between Mistro Homestay and another minsu, but settled for 2 nights stay at Mistro due to availability. Certainly glad that this was the case. Minsu owner, Claire, responded very promptly to my email queries and she could use English to reply my emails. She arranged for a driver to bring us around, upon our request, and help us to work out the itinerary as to where to visit. She made sure that we were fetched from the train station by the driver and she personally sent us to the train station on the 3rd morning upon departure.
The room was very clean and towels and toiletries provided too. Breakfast was simple but very delicious and the effort she personally put in to serve us was remarkable.
Claire was very friendly and helpful and that made our stay very wonderful. Felt like getting to know another good friend. She booked our return train tickets for us, paid for them first and collected on our behalf. She goes extra miles to help her guests whenever she can.
Thanks, Claire, we will certainly be back again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank leelets
Reviewed 6 December 2011

My group of 7 chose to stay at Mistro Homestay, due mainly to the positive feedback from this forum, as well as the prompt reply that made our reservation a breeze. We were not disappointed.
The rooms were big and unbelievably clean. From the communal areas, to our own rooms, the whole place is so well maintained that we wished that our own home could be like that. Although all the rooms were booked, we did not feel that the place was crowded at all!
The breakfast provided was wholesome and well presented. It made a good start to the day.
What made the stay most memorable was the hospitality which Claire has shown. Although we did not arrange for pick-up service and contacted her only when we arrived at the train station, she was able to pick us up immediately, making 2 trips for our group. Then she recommended all the places which Hualien city has to offer to satisfy our ferocious appetite. Claire certainly has good knowledge of the shops and eateries in the city. Claire also went out of her way to make recommendations and help us book accommodations for our subsequent nights' stay during our vacation. Her recommendations were good, as they were based from her personal experiences, or from feedback given to her by her guests. We were most touched when she even went all the way to the train station to collect our train tickets, paying out from her own pocket first since we were out when she received confirmation for the availability of our train tickets. That, to us, was service from the heart, especially when she had already spent many hours helping us in the booking of hotels in other parts of Taiwan. Thanks, Claire, for making our stay in Hualien a memorable one.

Room Tip: Both rooms that we had were excellent.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family