All reviewsher momtaipeihousehualienmamamountains
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We are a family of 5, booked and stayed at Casa de Angie only for a night ( which I think is insufficient!). After a whole day at Taroko National Park, the driver that I engaged drove us to Casa de Angie. When we arrived at Casa de Angie, we were amazed by the architecture and design of the house. Everything is nicely designed and decorated by the owner, Angie herself. We checked in and had a bit of chat with Angie, who is very friendly.

The house is located at a very tranquil and peaceful town, surrounded by greenery, the room that I booked had a mountain view and imagine waking up, overlooking the mountain covered by a bit of cloud, with greenery and fresh air! This is definitely the very authentic 'min su' experience that I don't think I can find anywhere else. The only concern that you may want to take note it maybe the location (as it is not centrally located in HuaLien), but as mentioned in many of the reviews previously, this is not really a big deal if you have engaged a driver. And it's totally worthwhile for the experience!

Last but not least, Angie and her mother ('ah ma') are very attentive and friendly. Ah ma is also a very sweet lady!

All I could think of to describe this place is ' Shi Wai Tao Yuan'! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JingleL215
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A romantic and simple place great for couple getaway. Very helpful and enthusiastic hosts. When we were trapped in hualien due to the typhoon, host Angie took the initiative to help us arrange for a later train back Taipei. It was really very sweet and thoughtful of her. In addition, host Angie and her mum will ensure that we start our day right with sumptuous and nutritious breakfast made with fresh and homegrown ingredients.

The only concern would probably be the location of the place. As it's not located near hualien train station, getting there would require a cabbie. However, personally I think the remoteness of the location is a plus to the ambience. It makes the place quiet, and good for relaxing.

I would strongly recommend this place to people who are looking forward to a getaway from busy city life.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank JaveyT
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I met Angie, owner of Casa de Angie at the NATAS Fair in Feb 2013 when she was promoting minshu stay. I was then attracted to her minshu and immediately booked a 3 day stay with her from 28 to 30 Apr. It was a wonderfully memorable experience.
Casa de Angie is a two and half storey, colorful and beautiful bungalow. It is surrounded by padi fields and vegetable plots with a view of the distant mountains. Quite picturesque. The bungalow has 3 spacious bedrooms on the ground floor and a couple of extra large rooms on the upper floor. Each bedroom has a different theme and all are clean and tastefully furnished. The bathrooms are also big and the interesting thing is that the bath tub in each room is also different from one another. There is one that actually sinks into the ground and makes one feel like you are in an onsen. There is also a karaoke room in the basement.
Angie and her mum are great hosts. They are super friendly and informative too. They would chit chat and discussed with us, then make recommendations on where we should go and what to eat. A taxi driver was arranged to bring us out for two full days. During our outings, I discovered that Angie kept frequent contacts with the driver to check on our well beings. How thoughtful of her! (By the way we are a Singaporean couple in our sixties.)
Thank you Angie and Angie's mum!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Yeo V
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We travelled in a group of 6 + 1 (a 2-y/o) to Taiwan; drove from Cingjing to Hualien (note: this is something I would NOT recommend), and arrived at 6ish at night.

My friends were shocked - from the outside, it seems like I'd booked a remote place. Their fears were quelled when we went in. Angie and mum have done up the place quite nicely, and it's pretty spacious. There are a few rooms on the first floor, but ours was on the second, all the way at the end of the hallway.

The room we booked was for 6-8 pax. It was a nice size for us, and quite well-designed too. It's like a 'loft', so the family of 3 took the upstairs while the rest of us were downstairs. There's a small sitting area for 2 that overlooks the garden in the aisle-way just before the toilet, and a small balcony. Simple, but nice for us.

The toilet was done very nicely as well - shower, bath tub, plus shelf + hooks for us to put our stuff. There were 8 hooks (very thoughtful!) that were well utilized by us. Angie provided shampoo etc, and was also thoughtful enough to provide baby shampoo as well for the 2 y/o.

It was a comfortable stay; no complaints about the bed and pillows. The 2 y/o slept quite soundly on both nights, so I'd say it's pretty good!

Breakfast was simple & healthy; no complaints at all whatsoever. Fruits, a "sandwich", home-made soy drink ... and at night, when we found Angie at the dining table working on her computer, she invited us to have a special-blend tea that was quite a treat.

This is a beautiful minsu. What I truly appreciate was how
- Angie went out of her way to help my driver friends plan the driving route from Hualien back to Taipei (at this point, the highway between Hualien and Taipei has crashed so DO NOT DRIVE)
- Li MaMa woke up at 3.20am to prepare breakfast for us
- both Angie and Li MaMa made sure we were well taken care of, and bid their farewells to us all at 4.30am

MY SUGGESTIONS
1) Angie gave us personal food recommendations. You must ask her for the steamboat one ... that was YUMMY. I doubt it'll be on tourist maps because this steamboat place is located at the front of someone's house.

2) There are different bath tubs in each room. There's the standard one, and then there's what my friends call the "tub" in which you can comfortably sit. So if you've a party of 2-4, and this matters to you, look at the pictures on the website and then choose your room.

3) DRIVE in Hualien. There's parking space at Casa De Angie.

TRAVELLING NOTES
Casa de Angie is not in the heart of Hualien; it's in Shoufeng, which is about a 20-25min drive into Hualien (my benchmark of Hualien being the train station). To get to Taroko, it's about an hour. Slightly less than an hour to 七星潭 (Seven Star Beach).

My suggestion: Train down to Hualien from Taipei, and then drive around Hualien.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank lazychocolate
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We're a Singaporean couple who visited Hualien during mid Nov. Through our friend's recommendation, we stayed at casa de angie for two days between 16-18Nov and we loved it. The owner, Angie, is a warm and friendly lady. With her mum, they make great host and cooks who whipped up delicious breakfast and healthy homegrown fruits. I also like how fresh potable water are made available to our room every morning, and their picked oolong tea is superb. Very enjoyable stay in Casa de Angie, we enjoyed talking with the host, and Angie helped us throughout the stay by getting really nice and friendly drivers to bring us around the place. We don't have to worry about places to see and eat as they always have great recommendations! We loved the sushi very much. Thanks Angie!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple