The Lalu Sun Moon Lake
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewstea housechinese restaurantsun moon lakehuge balconyprivate gardenshowing their ageswimming poolrooms are largelounge areahighest floorbeautiful hotelpay attentionluxury hotelchinese teaservice was impeccablechecking inguest rooms
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel has the initial 'wow' factor with a beautiful interior and a view like no other. Yet, the whole building is not user friendly and seems to value aesthetics above all else.

As we were checking in (two families each with two children), we were told that the room rate was for two people only and we'd need to book an extra room. Thankfully, without too much objection, this was overlooked and it was agreed that the children would share at no extra charge. We did need to pay for two children's breakfast buffets though.

The room are small with ridiculous sliding doors separating the bathroom from the bedroom and the shower from the toilet. The shower and the toilet actually share a door, so only one can be closed at a time! The shower begins with the handheld hose which is positioned to shoot water straight up and drown the place before you have a chance to fix it.

The blackout blinds have huge gaps at the sides so the sunlight streams in in the morning.

The lack of signage is a big issue. Basically, nothing is signposted.

The staff are friendly enough, with limited English skills.

The swimming pool looks nice but, again, no signage (apparently gets quite deep) and the staff get very agitated as soon as someone gets near the edge, which feels quite unsafe. The most ridiculous practice at this swimming pool is the mandatory use of swimming caps, which are provided if you don't have one. Mandatory!! Ridiculous!! Never heard of this.

All in all, a nice looking hotel in a nice location but I wouldn't stay here again for the price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ruth B
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Just no words for this beutiful resort hotel "The Lalu".
I stayed in Lake view suite for 1 night. I was suppose to go around after check-in, but when I steped into the hotel, I had changed my mind, I spent all of my time in Sun Moon Lake in the hotel. And I convince that this is the best way to enjoy Sun Moon Lake.

Location: 15 min walk from Bus station through the central business place.
Room: Very big and full facilities and amenities. Wide Sun Moon Lake view. You can see the lake even when you take a bath. Full of the smell of trees.
Staff: They all very clever and professional.

Only one thing that made me disappointed is dining. I tried "Afternoon Tea" on Sunday, it is buffet style on weekends, tastes are quite avarage, worse, very very crowded... There were a lot of small childeren playing in the restaurant, full of voices and sounds... There is no space to admire the view. Besides foods are just like the foods from normal restaurants. I think it is good for non residents to experient " The Lalu ", I DO NOT recommend this to residents. Spending time in the room or lobby should wiser choise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
WillieL00, 公關經理 at The Lalu Sun Moon Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment on TripAdvisor. We are glad you enjoyed the facilities and view of the lake from your suite and appreciate you praising out team.

We are sorry to read you didn’t enjoyed the afternoon tea in the Oriental Brasserie, weekends can effectively get busy with families visiting Sun Moon Lake, we will remind our team to inform our guests the possibility to enjoy the afternoon tea in the Tea House located by the pool overlooking the lake.

We look forward welcoming you back to The Lalu Sun moon Lake

Kind regards,

The management team

Reviewed 25 March 2014

A warm and friendly reception greeted me at this hotel, despite the outwardly cold temperatures. Whilst my luggage was being transferred to my room I was offered a seat in the lounge, with tea, nibbles and a superb vista overlooking the lake.
The bedroom was well equipped and all the equipment was explained to me. The balcony, complete with mattress covered lounger, was roomy and overlooked the tranquil lake. When the room was later turned down, a candle was lit on the outside table.
The shower was hot and powerful, the toilet seat warmed when in action!!
The hotel also had a well stocked library, with books, daily newspapers and CD's. These I used in the bedside player.
Both breakfast and dinner were of excellent quality, served by pleasant and helpful staff.
It is an ideal location to relax and explore the area around Sun Moon lake an area of outstanding natural beauty. I also had access to a, free to use computer, to keep in touch with the outside world. Would I stay here again? yes, only longer!

Room Tip: You shouldn't have a bad room here.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We didn't stay in the hotel but local friends invited us to a meal. A greeter showed us around before the meal and treated us like VIPs. What a welcome!

The food was excellent, as was the service, which was attentive but not over-zealous.

The view would have been superb during the day but unfortunately it was going dark as we arrived so we missed out a little. However, this did not detract at all from what was a remarkably memorable experience. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian2109
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Lalu has to be one of the finest hotels in the world! Its location on the lake is magnificent. Views from your suite are glorious whether on a foggy morning or a bright sunny afternoon - it is really unparalleled .
The suite is beautifully furnished. Large and comfortable. Fruit plate is changed every day. Towels and linens fresh.
The bar area is a little congested, but it is not crowded. The view there is also fantastic. The bar serves a delicious plum drink whenever you stop by. A very hospitable gesture.
Service is top notch. Although not part of an international chain, at least not to our knowledge, it is managed like a five star hotel. Staff in housekeeping, front desk, doormen and guards all very respectful, polite and attentive.
The breakfast has good variety and service is good. But to get to the dining room, you have to go down a flight of steep stairs.
The Chinese restaurant serves good food and again service is excellent.
Architecturally, this is a beautiful hotel. Calm and quiet.
The only thing is some areas, like the elevators, corridors and doors, are showing their age. If more maintenance is put into it, this will indeed be a great hotel.

Room Tip: Get a suite facing the lake. As high as you can get.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple