“Sogod is SOOO good!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Padre Burgos
London, United Kingdom
“Sogod is SOOO good!”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We travelled the Philippines for 5 weeks and this was one of our favourite stops. We had not originally planned to visit Southern Leyte but we changed our plans last minute to stay there over the New Year & fit in some diving and Whaleshark spotting.

The owner,resort staff, dive and boat crew were all really helpful and acommodating and the room we stayed in (attached to the restaurant) was huge with a masisve bathroom and hot shower.

The best experience here however (even better than snorkelling with our first whaleshark) was the night dive at 'The Pier. This is a MUST for any diver with loads of cool creatures - octupus, cuttlefish, giant frogfish, ghost pipefish, stargazers, seahorses, decorator crabs, hundreds of hunting lion fish and loads of other critters all on one dive!

This resort is a must if you're looking to dive around Sogod Bay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LucyBils

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kensington, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We stayed at Sogod Bay Scuba resort for 5 days over New Years. The staff at the resort are extremely accomdating. They made sure everything we needed was looked after. We visited the nearby city of Bay Bay and Analyn made sure we had everything sorted out, van, driver etc. All of the rooms, whether on the beach or the apartments down the street, have a beach front where you can watch the waves or the sunset. The rooms are baisc, but very clean with air con, and a fridge. The wifi signal was a bit sporadic but ok for email checking. The onsite restaurant was great and there was another restaurant 25 meters down the road which also had wonderful food.... The Moose and Squirrel. On New Years we arranged a Pig Roast at the M& S where 15 of us from the resort got togther and had a party. The restaurant was a local spot and we had a blast lighting off fire works and ringing in the New Year.

We snorkeled with the whalesharks which was an amazing experience. There were eight of us in total on our catamaran style boat. We picked up the local guides along the way, including a Pastor from a nearby village. He came on board said a little prayer and motivated us with the power of thought so that we would see the beautiful whales. Our boat was extrememly lucky and we saw four sharks on seperate occasions. I was sitting on the ledge of the boat watching out when once swam right under my feet! If I had of jumped in straight away, I would have landed on its back. We swam along side each one for anywhere from 5-7 mins. There were three other boats in the area trying to find them so it was sorta crowded but it was very authentic (local guides, whales weren't fed etc) Overall, it was an amazing experience

The diving was also good with lots of coral...a bit of a current though ;) We did a nite dive in the nearby town of Padre Burgous. IT was my first night dive and there was a lot of cool things to see but our group was kind of large so it was a bit crowded.

It takes a little while to get there...3.5. hours from Tacloban but the drive is beautiful and the resort and whale sharks made it 100% worhtwhile!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AHuds
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Just got back from 2 great weeks diving at sogod bay scuba resort.As allways the diving was brilliant and the staff fantastic.I have done diving all over the philippines but still find sbsr the best value and diving.The resort is modern and clean something you dont allways find in the philippines and a variety off accomadation all clean and affordable.The dive guides are top class as is Pedro the instructor.Phil and Ron the owners fantastic guys.And the girls in the restaurant very helpful with any travel requirements.I did my divemaster couse there 5years ago and my 13year old son did his open water last year. I visit the philippines 3 times a year and allways try to spend as much time as possible at sbsr,i have done for 7 years now and will continue in future.

Room Tip: Apartments bigger if u dont mind staying just off beach
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 227jonathan64
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My girlfriend and I along with another couple stayed for 4 nights at the end of December. We had no expectations. Upon arrival we were put into 2 apartments for $34 USD/night. Only 1 had a double bed was a small problem. The view was amazing except the road was between the apartment and beach. The beach is not sandy, we never swam there but we did see some snorkels.

The best part of this trip was we did a morning dive followed by seeing 4 Whale sharks which we swam with!! Amazing!!! The guides are very knowledgable and our money goes to locals and not big business. The staff was very honest not accepting tips directly instead asking us to put in a box to be divided amongst everyone. They also didn't charge us for a dive because of a strong current we only had 30 min in the water.

We brought in the new year with a roasted pig. Food was amazing. Internet was weak so book follow on plans before you arrive.

We did 4 dives which were all amazing. One site was named best dive site in SE Asia recently and it's obvious why. On a night dive we had a many experienced divers mention they have never seen so many types of fish. It was an amazing way to bring in 2013!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank HOTTUB777
Paris, France
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I spent the first 2 weeks of November at Sogod bay scuba resort and I had a great time.
It’s a lovely relaxing place and diving is very good.

They have rooms in the main building facing the sea; it’s where the restaurant and the dive shop are, and they have 4 other rooms (they call it apartment) in a 2 stored building a little bit further (only 3 minutes walk).
I stayed in one of those apartments. The room was big, very comfortable, very clean and quiet.
I had a big bathroom with hot shower, a fridge with any king of soda, beers and water, an electric kettle with coffee and tea, air conditioning, a cable TV and a big terrace with a couple of chairs and a table. Everything was working very well.
They even plug a wifi usb key before I arrived to get an internet connection. The connection was good enough to check and send my email.

There is a good restaurant with tables inside and tables on the terrace facing the sea. Food is good and they have a special 3 dish menu; they change it every day.

Diving was amazing good with lots of macro (they even have the uncommon Phyllodesmium Longicirrum), beautiful underwater sceneries (lots of big sea fan, black coral, etc.) and big stuff. I’ve been lucky to see my first whale shark and I never seen so much warty frogfish.
The guys on the boat are really nice, funny and relaxed.

The closest little town is Padre Burgos, a nice ½ hour walk. The town is pretty small, but you can get almost anything you need.

I would like to thanks all the staff for their kindness and their smile. They made my stay lovely!
Ron, one of the owners was not bad at all as I saw on few reviews. He was really nice and charming and he is a very good diver. I believe he just need time to now the people. Phil, the other owner was nice and funny.
I’m looking forward to go back to Sogod Bay Scuba resort.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 16 November 2012

A very good choice if you want to dive in Sogod bay. The Napantao wall dive is perhaps the best dive site I have ever seen. The guide are good, rooms are nice, location is great, right on the beach, and the dive guides did a very nice job. It is a bit of a journey to get there, but don't let that put you off. The fact that it is a little remote means that it is not over-run with divers.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I agree with all the other positive comments. Excellent diving and staff with good food. Another restaurant is right next door for an alternative. This is my 6th year diving the Philippines and I would love to return here next year. Double French doors opening to the sea breeze (with a/c option as well) was superb! BUT.......I am not a smoker. While the rooms were identified as non-smoking, it is ironic they allow smoking in the dining room and in the partially enclosed shaded area of the dive boat. I can't wait to return with my dive buddy and friends but not until they offer smokers designated places to smoke outside of the common areas.

Other than the smoking....thank you SBSR for a wonderful time. We would love to come back!

Steve Kuhn

Room Tip: C 1,2 & 3 are set back about 20 meters from the water and offer a great view through the double...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
#2 of 3 in Padre Burgos
Leyte Dive Resort
Leyte Dive Resort
#1 of 1 in Malitbog

Been to Sogod Bay Scuba Resort? Share your experiences!