We spent four nights in Padre Burgos in April - and it far exceeded our expectations. Our whale watching trip was simply outstanding (2 guests supported by:
2 whale shark watchers on separate 'spotter' boats,
1 maid on hand for food/ beverages,
1 conservation official,
2 boat crew and
1 US marine biologist (who was monitoring and identifying the sharks)
And - of course - 8/ 9 Whale Sharks.
Having travelled extensively all over Asia (over a 30 year period), and to all places in between - I can safely say that you would seriously struggle to replicate this in Thailand, Maldives etc - for anything less than $1000 (especially in the Maldives!) - we paid a fraction of this and saw more Whale Sharks than you could shake a stick at.
Even if you have the money to burn - you would be equally hard pressed to be in an area with such a deep sense of history (the site of Magellan's first mass in the Philippines, or the site of the largest naval engagement of World War Two). For those who want more than Boracay/ Cebu - and who want to get a real sense of the Philippines - this is the place to come.
The diving off PB is also outstanding - incredibly clear water and very healthy corals - really worth the effort. Furthermore, the relationship that Castle has with a local dive operator works incredibly well - and, wonderfully - there is no attempt to sting you for transport between the two locations (a nice and genuine touch that may seem like a small detail - but is actually an incredibly good small touch).
The food is outstanding - great ingredients and made totally to order. Some may fret about having to make a choice before dinner - but just roll with it - its going to be outstanding whatever you order.
Private beach is brilliant as is the cliff top pool.
Overall an outstanding place, if you can make the trip down to Leyte/ Padre Burgos - this is a real gem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An idyllic family-run boutique hotel and PADI dive resort, with luxurious facilities and a friendly and intimate atmosphere. Superb location with great private beach, beautiful corals and stunning sea views. All guest rooms beautifully furnished and decorated, with air-conditioning and en-suite bathrooms. Guided scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming with whale sharks, dolphin watching, island hopping, sailing, kayaking,swimming pool, private beach, free Wi-Fi, bar and fine-dining restaurant. Local activities include land tours, caving, waterfalls, wild monkeys and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Padre Burgos Castle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Padre Burgos Castle Hotel Padre Burgos
- Padre Burgos Castle Resort Philippines