We were apprehensive about the post-yolanda condition of Tacloban airport upon arrival,
but as it turns out, Tacloban airport is functioning with many flights. Tourists, locals, volunteers are aplenty in Tacloban airport. Restoration of the airport is underway.
David himself fetched us from the airport ready with umbrellas as it was drizzling a bit when we landed. Thank you David.
The first hour of the ride to PBCR, scenes on the ground in Tacloban was a mixture of sadness and gladness. Sadness because of the extent of devastation Yolanda has brought to the city of Tacloban, and gladness because people from every race and color are there to help.
UN shelter homes are scattered all over Tacloban, a number of stores are open and people are making do with whatever they have.
After an hour, the scenery transitions to the less affected areas and road repairs are seen to be underway.
Upon arrival at PBCR we were shown to our room. Very clean,quaint and lovely. Split type aircon, safety box, complementary bottled waters, coffee and tea sachets and electric water kettle. But alas, no TV in the room - this, i suppose, is to force you into enjoying the beautiful outdoors that the Resort and Southern Leyte has to offer. There is, however, a common area where you can watch cable TV and DVDs. Oh, and there is free WiFi within the castle resort.
The house pool is super clean. In fact, the whole resort seems to be spotless and impeccably maintained! The beach in front of the resort is very private.
Continental breakfast was ok. Dinner and lunch is always superb! All prepared by Delia, and they are restaurant quality! Delia personally asks us of our food preferences every single meal and always takes consideration of the menu for the kids. Thank you so much Delia!
The Snorkeling tour was amazing, with the reefs teeming with a vast array of colorful soft and hard corals and fish that seem to be untouched and thriving.
But the highlight was the Limasawa Island tour. On the way (inclusive in the tour), we went dolphin watching, and what an experience it was! Groups of dolphins left and right, swimming and jumping right alongside the boat and taking sneak peaks at us that seem to tell us they are as curious about us as we are about them. Priceless!!! We dock on the white sand beach of the island, enjoyed a few minutes of just marveling at the beautiful crystal clear waters and greeneries along the shore while the PBCR staff prepare for us a scrumptious barbeque picnic lunch by the beach . You can't help but be in awe - God is truly the greatest artist ever! After lunch was a two hour walk around the island - through the quiet barrios, towards the National shrine for the First Mass in the Philippines, up 450 steps to Magellan's Cross, then down again through another quiet barrio and towards the beach on the other side of the island where our bangka was waiting and the PBCR staff welcoming us with the much needed jug filled with cold, refreshing water to freshen us from the long trek through the island. You can't get better service than that. David and Delia has definitely thought of everything for the convenience and comfort of their guests. Oh, and just so you know, the tours were guided by David himself, a personal touch we find really special and very much appreciate.
Thank you so much David and Delia for one of the most amazing beach experiences we've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. And thank you to the staff who have also made our stay very comfortable and welcome!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An idyllic family-run boutique hotel and PADI dive resort, with luxurious facilities and a friendly and intimate atmosphere. Superb location with great private beach, beautiful corals and stunning sea views. All guest rooms beautifully furnished and decorated, with air-conditioning and en-suite bathrooms. Guided scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming with whale sharks, dolphin watching, island hopping, sailing, kayaking,swimming pool, private beach, free Wi-Fi, bar and fine-dining restaurant. Local activities include land tours, caving, waterfalls, wild monkeys and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Padre Burgos Castle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Padre Burgos Castle Hotel Padre Burgos
- Padre Burgos Castle Resort Philippines