Howard Civil Service International House
US$194
US$93
US$80
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnational taiwan universitysingle roomoutstanding featurenight markethot tea and coffeeasian disheshear noiseincluded breakfast isinternational guestseach morningliving roomflat screen tvgood sizerooms are comfortablecouple of nightsroom cleaningvery comfortable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I was at the hotel for a week for business trip.

Pro
Rooms are nice.
Easy to find cab to & from hotel.

Cons:
Hardly few staff speak English.
Internet policy and service & price is pathetic.
Does not have any decent option for vegan.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mital21
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We were in Taipei for New Years combining business and pleasure - taking our 3 teens with us to a conference. This hotel was selected by the conference organisers. We had two separate suites for our family - the 3 teens in a room with an extra bed, so 3 single beds. The suites were convenient, especially if one wanted to go to bed early and the other one wanted to work at the desk or watch TV.
Good showers with plenty of power and hot water. The beds were comfortable. Rooms were good, clean and nice enough. Breakfast was mostly Chinese, very little western food; we tried the evening buffet which was very good and worth trying.
Convenient to nearby night markets close to the university area; easy to walk to some convenience shops, restaurants and metro. All in all - a nice stay.

Room Tip: ask for the quiet side of the hotel and not near the elevator or on the main road
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I'm writing this on the first night in the hotel, but so far we like the place quite a lot. We've a suite and as we're being put up for a conference, I can't speak to the value for the price. However, the hotel is well located for access to the metro, the university, and the Shida night market. It's also an easy walk to the Chang Kai Shek Memorial Hall. The staff is very helpful and friendly, the room is comfortable and clean. I'll update this if there's anything that strongly moves me one way or the other.

Addendum: I tried to eat at the cafe for lunch, but they refused to seat me. No idea why. That irritated me a bit, as it's been raining and I'm doing work in my hotel room, so had no desire to wander out in the bad weather for food.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2013

After 15 months or so, I stayed in the Howard CSIH again, twice - first in a semi-suite and then in a normal single. I had never understood what people are complaining about regarding this guest house, but the single was so bad that I checked out the next day and switched to a hotel. The tiny cell didn't even allow for my luggage to be put somewhere, and the bed was so narrow, youth hostel like, that I always felt I was falling out of it. So, first of all: If you get a discount or someone pays for you, definitely get the semi-suite; it is still a bargain for Taipei, if not a terrific one. (And it is the only way to avoid noise from hallway and neighbors.)

Location: This place is 10 minutes away from the Taipower MRT stop; great restaurants, convenience stores, and banks are very nearby (behind the hotel and, if you walk out, left and, for some restaurants and the rest, again left). Hotel: The breakfast this time sucked so bad that I skipped it most of the time, and this is not so because it consisted almost entirely of Chinese food (why in the world should they serve Western?), but because it was extremely low-quality (artificially re-assembled products throughout) and bad. Reception: *one* guy speaks good English - again, it is not an issue here, this is not a hotel, but the high language capacity referred to in some reviews is nothing I can corroborate. The pool remains great, but it is basically access to a community piscine.

Finally, I would like to point out again that *this is not a hotel*. Nor is it a residence for the masses of NTU visitors, conference participants and the like. As the name says, this is a government guest house for Taiwanese civil servants, run in one of the PPP schemes that the Taiwanese government was fond of some years ago by the Howard chain. This means that if you are an academic put up here, or a normal tourist (although I wonder what you would be doing here - the rack rates are not that great; only the discounted ones are), you may be welcome to stay here but this is not a place designed for you. (I have to say that even as a civil servant, I would refuse staying in the single for more than one night.)

One small thing I found out this time: If your host is a government agency or a *public* (= "National") university, even if you pay for yourself, and never mind the discount level, wifi is free, you just have to ask for this (at check-in) if they want to charge you.

3  Thank Aethelred
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This is a cheap hotel and convenient if you have a conference that you need to attend in the adjoining building. The rooms are OK, and I would stay in one of the standard rooms. The bathroom was small (I'm only 150 cms tall and felt like a giant in the bathroom) however the rest of the room was OK. The hotel is surrounded by dual carriage way and the views are not very attractive. I was unfortunate to have a neighbour who insisted on putting the volume on his tv very high so I could also share the program he/she was watching. This resulted in me asking the hotel to knock on his door requesting he/she turn the volume down. It worked once but not on the second day. I have to return in May 2014 and will ask for an end room to reduce the changes of inconsiderate neighbours.

Room Tip: I asked the hotel if I could view the suites (Rosewood suites). They were very nice, a shower, basin each in the bathroom, a large living area and bedroom and a supply of nice toiletries but twice the price. Looks like they might be worth it, if you have the cash or travel budget.