“Pure awesomeness”

Trogon House and Forest Spa
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We were booked in for a weekend in June, but my love was hurt in a motor cycle accident and landed up in hospital. Shannon kindly allowed us to move the weekend. So we went on Monday 2013-07-18 to Wednesday 2013-07-17. Nothing prepares you for the pure "awesomeness" that is Trogon House. The walkways above the forest and the nearness of the forest is unbelievably beautiful. The people who built this went out of their way to remove as few trees as possible, even going so far as to build the deck around the trees. The furniture they use had me in total awe. Some of the furniture is very old and I had the urge to just softly stroke over some of them. Weird, I know, but you go see for yourself and then let me know how you felt. The place has a very mellow African tone and is done tastefully. It does not have a feel of a touristy African guest house, but rather that of a home where the furniture is loved. Be sure to check out the couches on the deck by the pool.

Connie who runs the place together with Harry and Bruce does a totally wonderful job. We went in just after 8 in the morning and she was there and we still found her there after 8 pm at night. Nothing is too much trouble for her and she even prepared me porridge and gravy (together with a most wonderful Yorkshire pudding) and beef fillet exactly how I wanted it at my special request. Her dessert made with fresh strawberries had all the guests grin with pure delight after the first taste and all bowls were left empty. This lady sure has talent. The portions were great and nobody left still hungry. The coffee was excellent and the breakfasts left us lazy and we both ate more than we should have. One can taste the care she and her two helpers put into the food. I loved the laughter and banter that could be heard from the kitchen whilst they were working. It is always a good sign if the staff is happy.

The rooms are beautiful and the only thing I would have changed was the satelite tv. The reception is not very good and I really feel that the tv can be removed from the rooms. I certainly would not have missed it. We left the doors open and listened to the sound of birds and the chattering of monkeys. The smell of trees and the forest is earthy and we loved it. We even had a few monkeys come by to look at us which was really delightful. The shower had plentiful warm water and we never even used the coffee making facilities as we were so stuffed after eating their wonderful food. The prices of the drinks were excellent and quite affordable. They don't have a big variety but what they have is good and satisfied all our cravings. They also have a spa which we did not indulge in, but I faintly heard a middle aged man serenade his lady whilst they were in the spa which had me grin in delight. For a great get-away where you can relax and just get in tough with nature, this is an excellent spot to go to. And say hi to Connie for me. She is great!

Ps. For some or other reason there are two Trip Advisor pages for you).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RainyDecember

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I am in the fortunately position to travel a lot for business and on holiday and have stayed in many lovely places. But Trogon House and Forest Spa certainly counts amongst the top 3 I have ever stayed in. There is nothing mass produced in Trogon: being there feels like visiting a special friend, with lots of money (! ) and wonderful taste. The house we stayed in- where we had the only bedroom and the whole house, deck and swimming pool to ourselves though only paying for the room- is built from stone and wood - so very natural- with floor to ceiling windows on 3 sides, which brings the forest right in. The furniture has been carefully selected from the previous owner's many trips into Africa, so there is colour, texture and craft in abundance- and two fire places, and massas of candles. . The view is amazing, and you are totally private in your bedroom, though surrounded by glass on 3 sides. You lie in the bath enjoying the view, stand in the shower enjoying the view, and lie in the bed enjoying the view!
The winter special made this place almost ridiculously inexpensive: we would have expected to pay at least double for this standard of accommodation. I am recommending Trogon as a MUST VISIT place for everyone I come across.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Visited 7-9Jun 2013.Fabulous from start to finish. Will go again!!
Loved the forest hide away. So relaxing but also so close to SO many activities.
The place is beautiful....very little inpact on the surrounding trees-Love the way they were left and the deck area built around them.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My partner and I stayed at Trogon House and Forest Spa in May 2013 and we had the most wonderful time. From arrival to departure our stay was made a special, welcoming and personal experience by the accommodating staff. We would also like to thank Shannon and Cornelle for their communication and hospitality before our stay, which made booking arrangements seamless.

We arrived in the evening along an adventurous dirt road along the edge of Monkeyland to a hidden gem amongst the forest. Beautifully kept walkways led us to the main lodge where we were greeted by Cornelle. We arrived later than planned and despite having arranged for dinner at the lodge that night there was no sense of urgency from the staff. We felt very welcome and appreciated the personal meet and greet. We were shown to our room (number 4) where our jaws dropped in delight at the beauty, arrangement and location of our forest bed. The glass walls, warm floor and gorgeous interior gave a sense of luxury and romance to the well sized room; appropriately placed curtains and dividers made the room private and personal.

In the main lodge, we were treated to a candlelit dinner by the fire made to order by the skilled chef Cornelle. We had pre-booked our choices by email having a goats cheese and cherry tomato tart starter and chocolate dessert. We had different mains (chicken and beef fillet), both of which were cooked to perfection and to order. We felt very privileged. My partner had the largest glass of wine I have ever seen and it too was gorgeous!

We stayed at the lodge for two nights however with a busy schedule to view the many outdoor activities nearby, we spent little time at the lodge during the day. In fact it was a shame we were unable to sit on the deck and use the pool; this would have been a must in the summer! After eating breakfast (we loved the fruit and muesli cocktail) we chilled at the seating area outside and took pictures of the lovely treetop views across the valley.

We really enjoyed our stay at Trogon house. It was an incredibly unique experience given the location, service and friendly feel. Staff are helpful and approachable- there is no 24h reception or specific front of house and this fits in with the character and warm, natural atmosphere at Trogon. The only thing we would recommend improving is the road to get there, which was quite the experience in itself.

Finally, the hospitality of staff extends beyond the forest border. Upon arriving home we realised we had left a small SD card with our holiday photos in our room. We emailed Trogon house and received prompt reply that the SD had been found when cleaning the room and they would post it to us. Not only did we receive the card shortly, but we received it via courier! We could not be more delighted with our experiences and would like to extend our thank you's to all the staff for a memorable stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2013

WOW! What a beautiful and magical place we found in the middle of the forest! This was truly the highlight of our whole vacation! Wonderful, friendly staff who made us feel at home from the minute we walked in and gave us loads of tips of what to do around the area during our stay! Beautiful rooms and amazing views of the forest all around you. The Forest spa is a definite MUST for anybody who is planning to stay at the lodge, super romantic. The food is delicious and their small wine collection is of the best you can find. Thank you for making our 2 days with you so memorable and magical. We will definitely be returning on our next trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2013

On arrival we were instructed to make ourselves comfortable on the deck while they are cleaning up our room for the night. We wated for half an hour! Ridiculous! Rooms should be ready for their guests!!! No warm welcoming, we felt really uncomfortable! Room was terribly cold and not recommended for winter months! Bad smell of toilet overwhelmed the room. Noisy bar fridge in room without contents. Cold atmosphere at breakfast, Harry was the only one making us feel welcome! Payments only received cash...... No cash slips!!!! Overrated and overpaid!!!!! Not to be reccomended

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Taniveenemans
shanarina, Manager at Trogon House and Forest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you for your comment and I am sorry that you did not have the magical experience at Trogon House, like most of our guests do experience and commend us on. Naturally, we never like hearing this kind of feedback, but will take all your complaints to heart and would like the opportunity to give you some feedback on some of the points you have made.

When you arrived we did welcome you in a friendly and welcoming manner we extend to all our guests on their arrival and throughout their stay with us, I am sorry if you feel we were not welcoming or warm enough on your arrival. We do also always have rooms available for short notice bookings or walk-in guests like you and your husband. This is however our quiet season and we feel that we would rather prepare our rooms fresh for arrivals. The room you requested was not made ready for guest occupation in advance for just that reason. We did however have 2 other rooms ready for occupation. Your booking came on very short notice (20 minutes before arrival) and we made an extra effort to ensure the room you were occupying was done as quickly as possible, hence the suggestion that you have a relaxing complimentary drink on our beautiful deck with the amazing view over the valley. I have to disagree with the comment on the unpleasant smell from the toilet, as I have cleaned the bathroom myself and made sure it is spotlessly clean and smelled fresh as all our bathrooms always do, I have also investigated this complaint as soon as we received your comment and could not find any unpleasant smell in either the bathroom or the bedroom.
As to the coldness of the room, all our rooms are equipped with underfloor heating and are guests able to set the heating in their own rooms to the temperature they prefer, from 5 degrees Celcius up to 30 degrees Celcius. As you must have seen on television and other notifications all over the country, the government has started a country-wide campaign on saving electricity as our power resources are unable to keep up with demand. For this reason we do not switch on any of the heating in the rooms until later in the afternoon or shortly before arrival or we let the guests decide for themselves if they need the heating and at which temperature they would like to set it on for their own comfort. In your case with the weather being warm and sunny on your arrival, maybe you just didn't turn the heating up high enough for your comfort.
As to the noisy bar fridge, we have already looked into that and have changed the fridge with another and apologize sincerely for any inconvenience this may have caused. The fridges in the rooms are there for the drinking water and fresh milk we provide for the tea and coffee station and perhaps to store any drinks our guests might request, they are not however for a pre-stocked mini-bar.
I am also saddened that you felt you could not tell us about all your grievances at breakfast the next morning when I asked you if you enjoyed your evening and stay with us, I am sure this all would have been cleared up and explained immediately if you did talk to me directly. As to the cash slips, I did ask your husband if he would like to have an invoice and that I could email him an invoice, he declined my offer and said he did not need any invoice.
We would like to have the opportunity to change your view about Trogon House if you would kindly let us and would love to have you and your husband stay with us again.
Please kindly get in touch with us, and we will arrange all.
Kindest Regards,
The Trogon House Team

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Trogon House, what can i say....Firstly We turned into a tiny little "offroad" section and after about a 5 min drive came upon what was to be a our home for 3 nights on our 10 day honeymoon trip. To say that we were speechless is an understatement. My wife and i both looked at eachother and knew immediatley that this would be a our favourite stop. From the beautiful stone, wood and glass rooms off the main house to the main house itself with the beautiful deck and pool, where we spent every morning enjoying a sumptuous breakfast, not to mention the 3 course gourmet dinner that Cornel cooked up on our first night. I must mention the wine rack (quite an impressive little collection) caught my eye and we managed to sample a 'few' bottles!! There was also the spa room and massages which i recommend as a must to everyone that stays there!! All in all a stay that will never to be forgotten and a place that we will definitely try and get back to SOON!!. Thank you Cornel, Bruce and Harry for an unforgettable experience...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
#6 of 14 in Plettenberg Bay
Tamodi Lodge
Tamodi Lodge
#1 of 9 in The Crags

Been to Trogon House and Forest Spa? Share your experiences!