“One Of The Garden Route's Top Attractions”

Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary
Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary Admission with Guided Tour
Ranked #7 of 14 things to do in The Crags
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Jukani is part of the South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (SAASA) #PlettPredators #CragsCarnivores #HandsOffOurWildlife #SaasaVisit Come and visit Jukani which is the home of rescued predators and other wildlife where the focus is on conservation and education, specifically on the plight of predators both in captivity and in the wild all over the world.At Jukani you can see most of the larger cats such as lion, Bengal and Siberian tiger, jaguar, leopard, cheetah, puma, caracal and serval together with rarer species such as white lions and tigers and black leopard.The sanctuary is also home to other predators such as African wild dog, hyena, jackal, honey badger and zorilla together with other wildlife such as zebra, springbuck and raccoons. Our experienced and knowledgeable guides will take you on a tour of the sanctuary and introduce you to its inhabitants whilst offering a wealth of interesting and fascinating information regarding each of the species.A visit to Jukani is not just about viewing big cats, it is an informative experience at a sanctuary where the animal's physical and emotional needs are placed first and foremost. Unlike some other facilities, the cats here do not breed and cubs are not removed from their mothers to be 'cuddled' by visitors. These cubs often end their days as trophy hunter's prey. Jukani is a sanctuary, a place of refuge where the wildlife is treated with respect and protected from hunting and other dangers in safe and natural surroundings.The South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance, a non-profit organisation (PBO No. 200/060 667/08 NPO 008 - 464) is the sole custodian of all the animals at Jukani, and therefore their future is secured. Jukani is funded by means of responsible eco-tourism and strives to achieve an effective balance between conservation and economic reality.A restaurant and curio shop is also available together with disabled access and facilities.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Knysna, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“One Of The Garden Route's Top Attractions”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Wow what a great experience my family and I had visiting Jukani!
From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by the manager Karin and the friendly staff.
The tour guide commenced the tour by sharing information on the creation of Jukani and the work it is trying to achieve having just moved from Mossel Bay to Plett, and the new superb larger area where they have created enclosures using the landscape benefitting from large established trees which creates a natural environment for these beautiful creatures.
Our guide Tom offered a wealth of information especially on the technical aspects of these creatures. He carefully answered all our questions and it was obvious how passionate and caring he was towards the animals and the environment.
Once again Thank you so much for a fantastic afternoon.
we will surely be visiting again!
warm regards, Lloyd , Trish & Hannah.

Visited November 2013
HerRoyalHickup, Social Media Manager at Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear KnysnaStays

Thank you kindly for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your tour with Tom! It is always good to hear people are enjoying our guides! I would also like to thank you for those amazing photos! Absolutely breathtaking - specially the one with the teeth showing.
Thank you for visiting and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Kindest Regards
Vijver
Social Media Manager SAASA

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great new addition to the area....”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I visited Jukani the other day on a guided tour. I really was amazed at the way it has been setup. The guide that took us (cant remember name) told us alot about the animals. He seemed to have an almost personal relationship with alot of them. I learned things that I never knew and got a chance to see animals that I don't think I will have a chance to see in their natural environment. One of the only things that I did not see was the smelly pole cat??? At the end of the tour, there is a snake tent with alot of snakes, this is also setup very well and was impressed to learn that the backdrops are specifically designed with plants and terain from the origin of the snake. They really have taken alot of time and effort.
I visited with my fiance but I think this would be a great place to bring kids.

Visited November 2013
Dear Lisa B

Thank you so much for the review. We appreciate each and every review. I am sorry you did not see the stinky pole cat but hopefully you will visit us again in the future and you will get to see him then.
I would personally like to thank you for the mention of our Reptile Enclosure "snake tent" as our CEO, Marketing Manager and Myself spend quite a few hours/days/weeks working on finding those back drops and it is wonderful to hear that it is appreciated.
Hope to see you visiting again soon.
Kindest Regards
Vijver
Social Media Manager SAASA
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A must do activity in The Garden Route!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

So I went again and will go back to Jukani again..
If you pay attention to what the guide is saying you learn alot.their knowledge about the big cats is brilliant!
Sometimes you see all of them and sometimes you dont.the areas the big cats live in is huge. Its not a zoo,its a sanctuary!the animals are well looked after.
Respect the wild!

Jhb
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Big cats and more”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

You get the feeling that the people of Jukani really care about the animals. They are in large enclosures and the guides are passionate about the tour. I saw animals I had never seen before like a black leopard and tree climbing lion. Well worth a visit

Knysna, South Africa
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“The Kids Loved It”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Jukani was very kind in sponsoring 24 disadvantaged kids, as part of a Love Knysna Projects initiative, to experience their big cat wonders. They have not stopped talking about it! There is a difference between seeing, for example, a cheetah on TV versus a 3D version stalking you along a fence in real life. I'm no fence fan but the cats are rescues and given large spacing, so much so that some could choose for us to not see them. However, we got to see most and they were wondrous. The 'snake tent' was a nice addition. The kids were simultaneously scared and excited, particularly by the python and black mamba. Cows, zebra, buck and a badger added to the experience. Our guide was knowledgeable. Thank you, Jukani!