“Great” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary

Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary
Ranked #7 of 12 things to do in The Crags
More attraction details
Owner description: Jukani is part of the South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (SAASA) who are the CURRENT AWARD WINNERS of the following AWARDS - • Lilizela Service Excellence Tourism Awards - best Visitors Experience • Skal International Sustainable Tourism Awards - best major Attraction • World Responsible Tourism Awards - Gold-best Animal Welfare Initiative • World Responsible Tourism Awards - Overall Winner Come and visit Jukani which is the home of rescued predators and other wildlife where the focus is on conservation and education, specifically on the plight of predators both in captivity and in the wild all over the world.At Jukani you can see most of the larger cats such as lion, Bengal and Siberian tiger, jaguar, leopard, cheetah, puma, caracal and serval together with rarer species such as white lions and tigers and black leopard.The sanctuary is also home to other predators such as African wild dog, hyena, jackal, honey badger and zorilla together with other wildlife such as zebra, springbuck, raccoons and a variety of species of snake.Our experienced and knowledgeable guides will take you on a tour of the sanctuary and introduce you to its inhabitants whilst offering a wealth of interesting and fascinating information regarding each of the species.A visit to Jukani is not just about viewing big cats, it is an informative experience at a sanctuary where the animal's physical and emotional needs are placed first and foremost. Unlike some other facilities, the cats here do not breed and cubs are not removed from their mothers to be 'cuddled' by visitors. These cubs often end their days as trophy hunter's prey.Jukani is a sanctuary, a place of refuge where the wildlife is treated with respect and protected from hunting and other dangers in safe and natural surroundings.The South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance, a non-profit organisation (PBO No. 200/060 667/08 NPO 008 - 464) is the sole custodian of all the animals at Jukani, and therefore their future is secured.Jukani is funded by means of responsible eco-tourism and strives to achieve an effective balance between conservation and economic reality.A restaurant and curio shop is also available together with disabled access and facilities.
Pretoria, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Good experience. Tour guide Melody was good although his accent was hard to follow. Animals were great to see.

Dublin, Ireland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I really was in two minds after I left Jukani. My children (8,6,4) enjoyed it to some extent. One lion was watching them as they moved along the enclosure so this was a bit of excitement for them. Didn't see all the animals but that's ok. However, my gut feeling when I left was that of disappointment and sadness. The tiger was pacing back and forwards along the fence. As an other reviewer said, some of the big cats are morbidly obese. I have seen other lions in sanctuaries and they were not that obese. I know that contraceptives can make them overweight, but this is much more than that. The guide glossed over it. I'd really be interested to hear what big cat specialists would think. They mention on their website that they are part of The South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (SAASA), which encouraged me to visit, but have discovered that this is just an alliance of 3 different sanctuaries in the Plett area. I'm sure (hope) the people behind this are concerned with the welfare of animals, but I don't feel they've got it right. Won't be visiting again in the near future.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Sandy1038
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What a wonderfull Experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

What a wonderfull experience. We went on a tour to see all the Big Cats and we were not expecting to get so close to them. They were beautifull. The Tour guide was very insightfull and we had so much fun. The reptile tent was a good end although most of them were still sleeping when we got there.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank SuzetteCoetzer
Dubai
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Jaguar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were a little disappointed at the set up. Although we did see a jaguar and mountain lion for the first time. We also saw white lions & white tigers. We could not see the black panther as it was at the bottom of it enclosure, which there was no access to.

Visited June 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Obese cats”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have seen the cats since I was a little girl and I have also visited several wildlife conservancies but never have I visited one that left me feeling so sad. The cats here are morbidly obese...and I am not kidding! We asked the guide why, he said they were giving them contraceptives in their diets but when asked if they would be moving the cats to another place, as such the temporary approach he said he did not think so. This made me wondered if they were experimenting on the animals

Try the Kruger national park or other conservancies for a more natural site, especially if it is a first time experience to see the cats.

I was very disappointed and would not return here if around the area.

Visited December 2013