“Incredible viewing”

Birds of Eden Self Guided Tour
Ranked #4 of 14 things to do in The Crags
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Birds of Eden is part of the South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (SAASA). Birds of Eden is the largest single-dome free flight aviary in the world, spanning 2.3 hectares of natural forests, streams and dams. With over a kilometre of walkways, visitors can experience the thrill of spotting almost 3500 previously captive birds of over 200 different species flying free and living natural lives. The scenery alone warrants a visit with hundreds of different plant and tree species plus there are giant fruit bats, golden-handed tamarins and the smallest of the antelopes, Blue duikers. Visits to Birds of Eden are self-guided and you are free to wander for as long as you wish at your own pace. Guided tours for group bookings can also be arranged on request at no additional cost.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Toronto, ON, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Incredible viewing”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Birds all 'in the open' so you can see them making nests, flying around - and watch the one that lurks by the door to steal your earrings! Most of the birds will stay at a distance, but there's the odd former companion bird which may decide on a closer look at you. I love it here. Third visit.

Visited October 2013

• Hebrew first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing ”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

This was one of the most amazing experiences of my holiday. So many friendly birds and I got to see a bird that bit me many ears ago when I was here as a kid.

Langebaan, South Africa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Tourist Attraction”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was part of our holiday and definitely a must. Food is a bid expensive in the restaurant, but otherwise very nice, romantic walk in the forest watching and listening to some amazing birds.

Visited June 2014
Nova Scotia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Absolutely loved this place, it blew me away.”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

During our recent visit to Plettenberg Bay we were delighted to visit this attraction. My wife and I are bird fanciers, and had enjoyed another sanctuary in the Cape Town area earlier. Well, actually the weather was rather poor and we were swiftly rained out in Cape Town. Thankfully this was not the case with Birds of Eden.

On walking up to the entrance you are teased by seeing the gigantic aviary that has been built to house all these lucky birds and other guests. You can hear the life bursting from within it with all the different bird calls and fleeting glimpses of something flitting here and there.

After paying the reasonable entrance fees (in light of what you're about the experience) you enter a virtual jungle of trees, bushes and streams that you navigate on different levels via walkways and paths. It takes you on a meandering journey around and it was my first impression that perhaps this was all it was. Now don't get me wrong, there were many lovely birds and small animals such as Dikka (a type of very small deer) to be seen here and there.

I wondered if this was it. Well just like Dr. Who's "Tardis", what seems small at first is actually so much larger in side. It went on and on with each new delight surprising both of us immensely. In particular was one little chap. While I was leaning on a wooden rail enjoying the spectacle before me, a small green parrot shyly crept up to my side and asked so sweetly in Afrikaans to "scratch my head". Not that I speak Afrikaans, but his desire for a nice bit of scratching was very apparent and I was very happy to provide. I was told by a young lady nearby that that was exactly what the little chap was asking me for. How sweet is that?

There were so many birds native to Africa and some not native (Canada Geese, how's that for a touch of home?) to marvel at it was very difficult to pick a favorite part of this Eden-like paradise. If I am lucky enough to get to visit South Africa again, this place will be on the top of my list to see once more. Hopefully my little friend will be there and asking me for another scratch...

Visited April 2014
Shanghai, China
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is really worthwhile. We spent a whole afternoon wandering around and it was very well run and maintained. It doesnt feel as if the birds are in captivity as the space they have is massive and they have so much freedom. A wonderful selection of birds and a great location. The kids also did the puzzle park and the maze, which they said was fab, and we had a really nice lunch there too.

Visited July 2014