Having paid to "upgrade" to a premier room for a two night stay, imagine the surprise on arrival to be presented with a ground floor room facing a car park albeit with the river just visible. On seeing inside the room for the first time the smell of damp, torn wallpaper, large tear through the curtain, badly stained and worn faded carpet, filth behind the toilet requiring our cleaning it off and no towels with a double bed with sheets that had not been ironed or changed from last occupants was a joy to behold. Had we not been staying with another couple who are good friends with the same problems in their room we would have left for another hotel.
Imagine the surprise when two towels arrived which were still damp requiring changing for two completely different patterned and sized towels. Having brought the faults to the attention of the receptionist telling her the hotel was tired and dirty, she agreed it was!
It became apparent that a considerable number of the remainder of the rooms were let to workers doing night shifts who spent most of the morning before going to bed drinking from bottles in the car park and riverside before dumping them in the "fag bin"
The bedding was so bad we bought a duvet cover set whilst in Oxford to cover the filthy pillow cases supplied and cheap torn duvet for the second night. The bar is massively overpriced for cloudy draught drinks which indicate dirty lines, this from the author who was in a previous life a brewery technician,the breakfast on both days was just about edible as items from the hot self serve Bain Marie's were supplied ad hoc with warm food. The swimming pool was filthy,so cloudy that the bottom was not visible and the rest of the hotel decor and behind the scene services are dirty. I do not know whether this is a local staffing problem or a group issue but for what could be a prime hotel site on the river this as it is now is sadly lacking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shillingford Bridge Hotel is located between Oxford and Henley, with beautiful views over a quiet part of the River Thames. The hotel boasts 40 comfortable bedrooms, ranging from Four Poster Rooms or Suites for those special nights away, to well-equipped single rooms, which are ideal for the business traveller. A perfect retreat; guests can enjoy the outdoor heated swimming pool throughout the summer months, plus delicious home-made food all year round. The River View Restaurant serves freshly prepared food and has panoramic views over the hotel's grounds as well as the banks of the Thames. The River Bar serves light meals and snacks, and even has an outdoor terrace with river views. The hotel has plenty of free parking, and Wallingford’s town centre is just a 5-minute drive away, while Oxford can be reached in 20 minutes by car. Windsor Castle is 50 minutes' drive, and Dorchester is less than 10 minutes away from the hotel by car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shillingford Bridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shillingford Bridge Wallingford
- Shillingford Bridge Hotel Wallingford