We wanted to get away for a few days and although this hotel was far out of the way from San Jose we decided to try it because it looked so nice on-line. it was not easy to find and included driving 2 or 3 kilometers on a very bad road with many potholes. In fact in some parts you could go only 2K per hour because you climbed out of one pot-hole and immediately down into the next. When we finally arrived it took them a long time to check us in and then they took as far from the main house to a section that looked like it had been build many years ago as an annex. We arrived in a dirty car-port with waste papers all over it and then had to climb two sets of stairs to get to our bedroom and when we finally got there we found it had no air conditioning (which we had been assured it did have).We did not even take any luggage into the place. We just drove back to the main building and told them we were leaving. The girl behind the desk talked for a long time to her manager and then asked us to wait for her to come. We waited a total of 30 minutes and then we left. It took us 45 minutes to get there but 3 hours to get back to San Jose because they had delayed us so much that we were stuck in rush-hour traffic. Since they had not even processed our credit card we did not expect it to be charged but we just looked (two weeks later) and found they had charged it. So now we have to waste more of our time to get a refund.
The most important things I told the woman when I called to book was that I MUST have Air Conditioning and it MUST be ground floor. They lied to us about both.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Catalina Hotel & Suites is an adult couples only, majestic private, gated resort, located a few miles just outside the City of Heredia which is just outside the Capital City of San Jose, on 6 lush acres inhabited by tropical flowers, trees, ponds and other gracious amenities like tennis court,gym,billiards,jacuzzi and 2 swimming pools.One swimming pool is nude and the other up to topless. Fully furnished hotel rooms, suites and villas are offered - studios, one or two bedrooms, and even romantic private villa enclaves ready for your enjoyment.Some weeks in the year are totally clothing optional.La Catalina has the best food in the area from North American to South American to Asian to Seafood.La Catalina has a great weekly entertainment program. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Agoda, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your La Catalina Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Catalina Hotel And Suites
- La Catalina Hotel Birri
- Hotel La Catalina
- La Catalina Hotel & Suites Costa Rica/Birri, Province Of Heredia