“Another great visit”

Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballyconnell
Reviewed 23 November 2011

This was our second stay in the slieve russell. I have to say that their reception staff are second to none. We booked in and forgot to request a smoking room. I called the reception desk & ask if there was any possibility we could transfer to a smoking room not holding out much hope as the hotel was nearly full. The receptionist stated that she would have the porter up to us asap with another key, imagine my surprise when I opened the door and the receptionist herself was standing there with the key & directed us to our room. We made dinner reservations in the Setanta restaurant in the hotel and again both the service and food were fantastic. Later that night my phone rang and it turned out to be the receptionist yet again calling to tell us that we had left a phone charger in the room when we transferred and it could be collected at the front desk. The breakfast the following morning was very very busy but the staff effortless kept the service running smoothly with not a dirty table in sight, fresh tea and coffee delivered to the table and an excellent vegetarian breakfast option which most hotels we have stayed in have lacked. I cannot wait for our next stay.

Room Tip: The last time we visited the hotle we went on a business package and the room was much bigger which...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing to return to the Slieve Russell.

I was delighted to read that everything was to your satisfaction and I will pass on your kind comments and appreciation to the member of reception staff concerned.

I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club

Reviewed 20 November 2011

Here is my list of problems; flimsy pillows which were really uncomfortable, shower door broken, no hot water, sporadic bursts of freezing cold water, no mini bar, cleaners banging SO LOUDLY from 9am so no sleep-ins allowed, bar like a sauna & Guinness was like black dish water with a foam on top. So so poor, travel a lot with work & arrived tired & looking for some rejuvenation but left more exhausted & frustrated than when I arrived. Would recommend people avoid this place. Going to pass these comments along to lady at check out too.

• Stayed: November 2011
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your review following your visit to the Slieve Russell. I was very disappointed to read of your overall dissatisfaction. I can assure you your experience is very much an isolated incident and is not the usual high standard of service we pride ourselves on. I will discuss your valued feedback with the relevant management and staff. However, I am sorry you did not bring the sporadic water temperature or shower door to our attention during your stay, as having a maintenance person on duty seven days a week, both issues would have been easily resolved. I was pleased to note that you discussed your experience with our Duty Manager at check out and that she had offered you a complimentary afternoon tea or lunch before you left the hotel. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future.
Regards, Tony Walker, General Manager

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Husband & I spent two nights in this beautiful hotel recently.
Nothing was a trouble to the staff.
I have special diet,they were able to provide for this, the food was fantastic.
We didnt like the first bedroom we were allocated,and were immediately changed to another one.no trouble at all.
Will definitely return in the new year

Room Tip: ask for a room over looking the the front gardens.they're beautiful
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you and your husband enjoyed your visit to the Sleive Russell. I am pleased to note that your special dietary requirements were looked after and that all staff were helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

got a deal on groupon which i couldnt refuse. i had upgraded to a superior room for 30euros p/n. got wine & chocolates in our room on arrival as we were celebrating a birthday which was a lovely touch. Room was spotless, beds comfortable and plenty of space, bathroom was very basic, no luxury fixtures or fittings & unfortunatley we didnt have a nice view over the golf course & could do with upgrading the tv's! the hotel has lovely gardens which is worth a stroll around. on our 1st night we got room service which was no extra charge if you spent over 15euros, went to the kells bar on the sat night, had a ball, great amtosphere and a live band playing. went to the cuin spa, was nice but only had a few rooms open as there was work in progress. had dinner in the sentanta restaurant which was lovely, and they do a great deal for 2/3 courses & glass of wine. breakfast room was stunning and a nice spread put on. all staff were friendly and very helpful. would recommend for a weekend to get away from everything and relax, as really there isn't anything else to do!

Room Tip: upgrade and get a view over golf course
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed celebrating your birthday at the Slieve Russell Hotel. I thank you for your kind comments and feedback and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

Spent two lovely days at the Slieve Russell. Played golf both days and the course is in super condition. We had a lovely room - I think we were upgraded. Only fault was that the windows could not be opened and it was too stuffy at night. Don' t like airconditioning as it tends to be noisy. The service was great and all the staff were very friendly. Breakfast and dinner were delicious. The bar seemed quiet as it was Sunday and Monday night so that was not unexpected. We will certainly be back.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I thank you for your kind comments regarding the golf course and food.

I note that you did not like the air conditioning and would have preferred to open a window, I am pleased to inform you that we provide a choice of both, so you can reserve a room without AC if that is your preference.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed there with 5 girlfriends last weekend and I have to stay such a pleasure.....We had Lunch in the Kells Bar which was mainly Paninis and sandwiches but delicious. We had dinner in the Setanta Retaurant and back to the kells bar for drinks they had live music which gave a great buzz to it....Breakfast was Buffet with a Continental Section (delicious danishes).....We went for a walk around the golf club which was refreshing while a few of the girls went to the pool.....The staff were very helpful and although it is a big hotel there is a very relaxing feeling about it....Have already booked another stay with my kids over the christmas holidays

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read that you and your friends had a most enjoyable weekend and found everything to your satisfaction.

I am delighted to learn that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you return with your children over the Christmas holidays.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed at the hotel after availing of the amazing 11/11/11 offer, which was 11 euro for B&B - actually best offer ever!!!

It was my first visit to the Slieve Russell and I have to stay it is one of the best hotels in Ireland and I am delighted that I managed to get the offer! After a long journey from Belfast in the pouring rain we were welcomed with friendly staff, gorgeous open fires and a lovely meal.

I think our room was in the older area of the hotel - it was v nice and more than we could have asked for at 11 euro but I'm told that there is a newer side of the hotel which I'd love to see.

My favourite part of the stay was the fact that most people who were staying in the hotel actually stayed within the confines of the hotel that evening either at the hotel lobby or the bar. This is something I have never experienced staying in Dublin or any other location in Ireland as most people go their own separate ways to other bars in the city or local town etc. There was a great atmosphere and a live band.

The views and walks available at the hotel are also excellent and the standards of the grounds etc and politness and helpfulness of staff are a credit to everyone who works at the hotel. I don't play golf but even I was tempted to start after seeing the golf courses - looked brill! But also nice for a walk as you can go the whole way round the smaller course and there is benches/ picnic tables dotted around and a forest area with secret gardens!

I will definitely be re-visiting myself - hopefully for longer next time as one night wasn't long enough. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer to laze around by the fires or visit the spa or leisure centre!

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you found your first visit to the Slieve Russell so enjoyable. Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay and I am very happy that you found all aspects of the hotel to your satisfaction.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Tony Walker

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyconnell
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Westville Hotel
Westville Hotel
#2 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!