“Great weekend break”

Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballyconnell
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Staff very professional and ever ready to assist at any time.
Large spacious rooms with both shower and bath separate,
Breakfast was well laid out and self service except for hot plate.
No delays at all ever with hotel busy with overnight weddings.
We had a meal in the restaurant and this was disappointing in that the steak I ordered was very tough although the rest of the meal was fine.
The Spa and pool was available to all hotel guests and reasonably priced.
The Kells bar was large and chairs very comfortable with live music both nights we stayed,
Apart from the steak problem we would certainly return to the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms were very well placed throughout the hotel and choice is based on type of room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your praise for our staff, bedroom, spa, pool and the bar. I apologise that your steak was not up to our usual high quality, had we been aware of this we would have been happy to resolve this for you on the night. I am pleased to note you intend to return to the hotel and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I visited with my daughter and stayed for 3 nights during the last midterm break.

The hotel as such is superior - it feels like your are a guest in a homely castle. It is beautifully decorated and very spacious. There are lots of different areas to sit down and relax in really comfortable armchairs or sofas.

The bedrooms are spacious too, very clean, great shower and bath, super boucy beds - my daughter loved jumping from one to the other (;-) , TV with internet in the room, safe in room.

During midterm break and maybe even at weekends - they run a kids club - so you as a parent can relax - and most importantly have dinner in peace - I enjoyed this very much and my daughter was happy being entertained and with other children. They even have supervised dinner - this makes sure the fussy kids eat something healthy ;-)
There are no restrictions for children. They are allowed in the pool all the time, there are no silly signs telling you to accompany your child at all times - good responsible parents know how much freedom their children are capable of dealing with anyway. I thought this was so nice - as I had different experiences in other hotels.

And well the pool is gorgeous, the spa is luxurious, they even have a hairdresser there on Thursday and Friday (no color, just wash, cut and blowdry - but I was delighted with my hairstyle!).

The hotel has 2 restaurants and a bar as well as service in the foyer for e.g. very elegant afternoon tea with yummy scones, little cakes and sandwiches!, and the golf place even has more restaurants.
The Colonel Cearnach restaurant was my favorite - I tried them all ;-) - but this was so nice, the service was very attentive - I did not even have to refill my water glass myself!, the food was fantastic and there was relaxing piano music.

This is my favorite hotel by far - very quiet location - not far from towns either - and the landscape is nice too - hilly - not flat, lakes, walks ...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to read your many kind comments regarding your stay. I am so pleased to note that we are your favourite hotel and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Spent 2 nights here in January. We got a very good deal that included dinner on one evening and worked out at roughly £70 each. Our room was clean, spacious and had a nice view over the golf course. My girlfriend booked in for a massage and said her masseuse Grainné was fantastic, whilst I spent a lovely hour in the leisure centre myself.
Dinner in the Setanta was delicious, really tasty (try the lamb) and the staff were great.
After dinner we had drinks in the bar. Drinks selection was disappointing, for such a good hotel you would expect better beers than the usual foreign owned Guinness, Heineken, Budweiser etc. A few local, Irish beers would have been great.
The staff here are excellent too, every single one I dealt with was friendly and very attentive. Can't wait to get back here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and for your positive comments regarding your room, dinner and staff. I note your feedback regarding providing a selection of Irish beers and whilst I agree this would be great, unfortunately we would not have the demand for such products. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Spent 2 nights here in February as returning guests and had another pleasant experience. Hotel is in good shape overall, the food in Conal Cearnach restaurant was top class, breakfast was good and the Golf course was a joy to play. The place was bedlam due to kids in Northern Ireland being off primary school that week.

Only real negative was the view from our room 504 which was rubbish. Looking out onto a delivery area only a few feet away with delivery vans arriving from early morning.

Stayed: February 2014
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your email and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding the food both in the Conall Cearnach Restaurant and breakfast and the golf course. I am sorry that you were unhappy with your view; please contact myself directly on your next visit and I will be delighted to ensure you get a room with a nice view over the golf course. I do hope that I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We were able to check in early and were greeted by a huge number of families sitting and relaxing in the many seating areas. We were worried about lots of noise but our worries were unfounded. After an initial disappointment in our room, a telephone call had us moved into a room overlooking the golf tennis courts at a price. However we were not moved into the beautiful room we were first shown but a room next door that was a little tired. However the view was spectacular and a joy to wake up to. Our towel rail was not working but again a phone call had the situation remedied very quickly.
Food in both restaurants was amazing, which was a huge feat considering the numbers in the hotel. The waiters and waitresses were very attentive and the piano playing gave dining a special edge.
The golf course was very waterlogged but that was something the hotel could do anything about.
We had a wonderful break and would love to return in the very near future.m

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and for your positive comments regarding food and service during your stay. I am pleased to note the minor issues you encountered were dealt with efficiently and professionally by our staff. Regarding the golf course, February has experienced the most rainfall in one single month since November 2009 and on Monday 17th February there was a particularly heavy deluge, which took a day or two to clear. However we are extremely lucky with the excellent drainage on the course, which has meant that the greens and fairways have been playable on all other days throughout the month. I am delighted to note that you intend to return to the hotel and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed here for Valentines/my Birthday weekend, and had a fabulous weekend despite the rain. however we really could not fault the afternoon tea and completely chillaxed weekend :). Rooms were very spacious, and staff all very friendly. Will definately be coming back again.

Room Tip: Fabulous hotel out in the country and truely amazing for a relaxing break. Second stay here and it...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for choosing the Slieve Russell to celebrate your birthday and Valentines. I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding afternoon tea, room and staff. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We booked a one night stay after Christmas for Saturday the 22nd of February for what was our 3rd visit to the Slieve Russell. When we arrived there was a wedding party present and when we went to check in our room was not ready. The Ireland V England rugby game was about to start and there was nowhere to sit in the bar or lobby. Eventually our room was ready and we had to get a drink and bring it to the room and watch the game because there was nowhere to sit in the hotel. The room was very small, on a comparison to a holiday inn, so for €150 a night, was not worth the money. We had a meal in Setanta restaurant which was gorgeous and staff were friendly. Breakfast was also faultless and had zero complaints. Check out was absolutely mental there was a que half way around the hotel so we just ended up leaving "keys" in the room and walking out the door. Unfortunately I think it was our last visit to Slieve Russell, much better value for money out there.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Neal S

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and for your positive comments regarding dinner in the Setanta Restaurant, breakfast and staff. The evening of the 22nd February was particularly busy and I am sorry that you were unable to find a seat when you arrived. I am sure you can appreciate without your details it is impossible to know what room you stayed in, however I apologise that you were unhappy with its size. We offer a range for room types, ranging from standard, deluxe, superior and suites, which vary in size, however all our bedrooms are well within the Failte Ireland classification requirements. I take your comment on board regarding check out, we did introduce an Express Checkout facility a number of years ago, which unfortunately had a very poor uptake, however this is something we will consider reintroducing. I do hope you change your mind about this being your last visit to the hotel, was would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith the Slieve Russell. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyconnell
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Westville Hotel
Westville Hotel
#1 of 6 in Enniskillen

Been to Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!