“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballyconnell
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel had been recommended by family members & we were not disappointed! To say it is in the middle of nowhere is an understatement but well worth the visit!! You are driving along a country road in County Cavan and then round the next bend you come upon this hotel with a magnificent entrance & large fountain just beyond the gates & you think this is impressive & you are right! The hotel may be isolated & a good distance from any main town or city but there is plenty to do. It has its own golf course, tennis courts & leisure complex. There is also beautiful grounds to walk around.
The inside of the hotel is as impressive as the outside and beautifully kept. There are plenty of areas in the hotel to loose yourself & enjoy a good read or just relax! All the staff from those in reservations to those who looked after your room were friendly ,heipful & always wanting to please. The meals were excellent as was the service.Friends that we were with felt it was one of the best hotels we had stayed in & I had to agree with them. I look forward to our return & would have no problem in recommending it to others.

Room Tip: Room overlooking Golf course
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted to read that you were impressed with all aspects of your experience from reservations to accommodation staff. I am pleased to note you would recommend the hotel and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
BELFAST
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Called today to book a special offer from their website and to check that it was suitable to bring my 1 year old and our own travel cot. Surprisingly I was told that as the room was a superior double children weren't allowed in those rooms because they were "too good"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the girl could hear my jaw drop to the floor when she said this. Coming from a 4 star hotel I could hardly believe my ears!!! I had to ask her if she was joking and after consulting with a manager they relented and said it was fine to bring my baby so I have gone ahead and booked and I will review again when I arrive and see if they have in fact put us In a less superior room or more "tatty" room than the website shows because I have a baby with us. Hardly the service you'd expect so far from a 4 star hotel to customers who will be spending upwards of £500 in their establishment. Honestly how messy do they think a 1 year old is???? Hopefully I can give this hotel a 5 star review after our visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GOSSIP21
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am very sorry that you were unhappy with a statement made by a member of our reservations team. I would like to give you my personal assurance that this statement is not correct. We would generally recommend families to book our deluxe rooms, as they are specifically designed with families in mind, along with being located nearer to reception and due to the spaciousness of these rooms. The member of staff with whom you spoke is new to our team and the information she conveyed to you in this regard was inaccurate, we have since addressed this matter with her. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family to the hotel when you visit. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

OMG, hotel lovely, the staff are so friendly and helpful. the room we were in had a balcony and was a great size and very nice. The food was amazing and the spa was well worth a visit. My husband played tha golf course he said it was very good, over all the best hotel we have stayed in.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank milly035
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to read that you feel the Slieve Russell in the best hotel you have stayed in. Thank you for your praise for the golf course, spa, food, room and staff. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
craigavon, co.armagh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Just returned from our 2nd stay at this hotel and it didn't disappoint. The staff, the food and accommodation were all first class. Happy to recommend this hotel to anyone. We were celebrating a birthday and the staff looked after us very well

Room Tip: All rooms are fine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and for choosing the Slieve Russell for your birthday celebration. I am pleased to read your positive comments regarding staff, food and accommodation and also to note you would recommend the hotel to others. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Portadown, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Spent two nights at this hotel and will be back again
We arrived on St Patricks Day the whole place was buzzing, even though the staff were busy the service was good.
Our room and bathroom were very good
We played golf on Par 3 course which suited me well as I had a foot operation and was not fit enough to play 18 hole course
Have played 18 holes course before and it is great, will be back to play it again as soon as i'm fit
We used the swimming pool but not the spa this time
The staff at the Slieve Russell are well trained, very friendly and very efficient.
Edna gribben

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WGribben
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding your room, the par 3 academy course and our staff. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a wedding.. Havnt stayed here frm my own honeymoon.. The room we had was v much dated.. Reminded me very much of a room in a mobile home..
My husband had booked online using the Slieve Rusell's own booking page.. We had got talking to guests who had said that by saying that they where guests could avail of a discount.. But when my husband asked he was told no as the room was booked online.. Seemed a bit mean considering we had food & charged all up to our room.. Would have been easy enough to do...
Having two weddings on the one day really is not my thing.. Everywhere was so busy.. It was virtually impossible to get a seat & just unpleasant..
The meal itself was vvv unsatisfactory .. The dinner had been sitting has the potatoes had began to get a film around them. No silver service.. Just plonked down.. We had no bread rolls even though asked several times.. These came right at the end of the main course being cleared. No seconds either ..
However breakfast the next morning was outstanding .. Hence the mixed bag of frogs heading.
The best breakfast juice in a long time..
Such a vast selection of breads etc if wanting a continental breakfast..
Buffett style hot breakfast which was delicious & to cap it all really hot choc.
The breakfast staff could not do enough..

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with both your room allocation and the meal you received at a wedding reception. I have emailed you privately to request more details in order to look into this further. I thank you for your praise for breakfast food and service and I do hope you will return to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We had a wonderful stay again in the Slieve Russell hotel, this is our second time and we thoroughly enjoy ourselves. One downside was the view which looked onto an internal courtyard space rather than the golf course. Staff were very friendly, and the food good, the fires in the foyer make for a lovely space for afternoon tea or a pint. Leisure center is clean, warm and well run. Would love to go back.

Room Tip: Nice view higher up, and ask for a golf course view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding our staff, food and leisure centre. I am sorry you were unhappy with your courtyard view, we do have golf view suites which are available on request. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyconnell
Radisson Blu Farnham Estate Hotel, Cavan
Hotel Kilmore
Hotel Kilmore
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Errigal Country House Hotel

Been to Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!