“Lovely Hotel, Great Attributes, Some Staff Need to Smile More”

Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballyconnell
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have stayed here many times before on business (the last time about 3 years ago) and decided to take my wife as we were visiting Ireland for a Christening about 40 miles away, as I had told her (previously) about this great hotel in a remote, yet lovely location with superb facilities including a dedicated 2.5k walk around the grounds/through the golf course, which is beautifully manicured as are all the gardens front and rear. We stayed 2 nights in a Superior room over looking the golf course, lovely views, from the floor to ceiling windows. However, you could not open them, (why?) which was a annoying as we like fresh air and all we could do then was have the aircon on. For a Superior room it did not offer much more than a standard room, except the view (I have stayed in a standard room previously), however on this occasion we had to upscale as there were no Standard rooms available & the package included a dinner for €390.00euro, not cheap. We would have expected complimentary accesss to the spa (as most hotels such as the Radisson etc, do not charge when in a superior rooms and upwards), this was being tight. Also, the matress had seen better days, very uncomfortable and the TV was a decade or so old. A spacious room, with a lovely aspect but tired.
Food in the bar area and the restaurant was of a high standard and served promptly, although we did have to send back a chicken dish as it was only warm. The staff in the bar & restuarant were pleasant and attentive, but the reception staff and other ground floor/lobby staff for example were not in our opinion. There were 2 restaurants to choose from and had different menus, (informal & formal) so we asked at reception about the choice and supplements, we were then asked go and see another member of staff across the lobby area, who was useless and not interested, completely preoccupied. Yes, a wedding party had just arrived so it got busy (heyho it is a hotel, this is your business), but we should not be made to feel like second class citizens, we felt like a nusisance, no warmth or engagment. Disappointingly and unfortunately it continued up to check-out; once I had handed over my €600 euros I was never asked how was your stay? Ouch!

In summary, a very nice and clean hotel with a good atmosphere even if the music was a bit loud in the bar area, you ended up shouting at each other (particularly on the Saturday night), the bar food, restaurant food & breakfast was of a high standard and well portioned, the grounds are fab, (a credit to the groundsmen/women) rooms are good, (7/10), reception staff, it costs nothing to smile or was I just unlucky on five occasions? Would I return? Yes, a few small tweaks and €600euro might not seem so painful.

Room Tip: To the Front or Overlooking the Golf Course
1  Thank Chris B
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your most recent review and your very kind compliments regarding the cleanliness of the Hotel, quality of food and our grounds/gardens.
I am very disappointed to note your comments with regard to the attentiveness and friendliness of the Foyer/Reception Desk staff you encountered, which I fully intend discussing with the relevant Department Managers.
The Superior Rooms have been designed as Air Conditioned Bedrooms hence the reason for no opening windows.
The Slieve Russell is different than many other Hotels in that we always had a Country Club offering full Leisure Facilities to all our Residential Guests. The addition of the Thermal Suite which has limited capacity is to primarily compliment the overall Spa Experience for those guests receiving treatments in a calm and peaceful environment. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future. Kind Regards, Tony Walker.

There are newer reviews for Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Location: Middle of nowhere, with fabulous views over the rolling Cavan countryside. The fact that the hotel is always busy is ample proof that people will travel for excellence.
Public spaces: spacious, clean, bright.
Bedrooms: we had a family room on the ground floor. Large, pleasant room with elegant, well equipped bathroom.
Restaurants: 2. One for casual eating, the other for sumptuous dining. Both are delightful. Food is delicious, served by very friendly and efficient staff.
Kells Bar: BIG disappointment. On our first night we opted for bar food. First, it was almost as expensive as food in the restaurants. Second, the round tables were far too small for comfort. Third, and this was the worst, the room was chilly, which was strange as the ambience in the rest of this very large hotel was perfect. We had to leave immediately after our meal because we were cold, while the weather outside in August was warm. We dropped into the bar the next day at lunchtime, and it felt like walking through the freezer section in a supermarket.
Spa and hydrotherapy suite: perfectly adequate, a pleasant experience. Staff were excellent, wonderful message.
Pool and jacuzzi: superb. Amazing countryside views.
Garden and walks: FABULOUS! Imaginative, beautifully maintained grounds. Make the time to wander through the gardens, or take the 3k walk around the gold course - super.
I can thoroughly recommend this hotel. Accommodation, food and service were first class.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am pleased to read your positive comments about our staff, rooms, leisure facilities, spa, grounds and food. I am disappointed to note your experience in the Bar did not meet your expectations, and i will be discussing your comments with the Team. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Ordered coffees and desert from the bar. Nothing memorable and apple pie was tasteless. Service was fine, staff were friendly but whole atmosphere lacked something.. Felt tired and worn in comparison to other visits year previous

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to note your experience did not meet your expectations, and i will be discussing your comments with the Team. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future. Kind Regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We are a family of 5 so we find it very hard to get a hotel that will allow all of us stay in one room at a reasonable price. The rooms in the Slieve Russell are big enough for us even with an extra bed in it. The rooms are clean, quite and the beds are very comfortable. This was not our first stay here and we weren't disappointed. The pool is great - we couldn't get the kids out of it. We had dinner in the main restaurant and the staff were helpful and friendly. The food was good too. My daughters favourite thing about the whole hotel was the 'beef' she had for her dinner ! The hotel lobby has a lovely relaxed feel to it and you can while away the afternoon people watching while dining on afternoon tea. If you are after a relaxing family break this is the one for you.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am pleased to read your positive comments about our Family Rooms, leisure facilities and food. I am delighted to read you and your family enjoyed your break here at Slieve Russell and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel has a beautiful imposing entrance and lots of large comfortable couches and spacious sitting areas. The staff are very friendly and helpful. This is our third stay here and we come because of the lovely spacious ambience and comfort this hotel exudes. Twice, I have found their deluxe rooms small, dark and somewhat drab. We upgraded to a superior room which was well worth the extra payment. It was spacious with two lovely armchairs in a large window overlooking the beautiful and immaculately kept golf course. Dinner in their Connall Cearnach Restaurant was delicious and enhanced by the beautiful piano playing. Afternoon tea was very disappointing. It was poorly presented and the cake was stale. The gardens and golf course are exceptional. They are a credit to the team of gardeners. So lovely to walk around the beautiful grounds.

Room Tip: If you just want an overnight room then the standard or deluxe is adequate but if you are coming for...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am pleased to read your positive comments about our Golf Course and Gardens. I am delighted you enjoyed your Superior Room and Dinner in the Conall Cearnach Restaurant. I was disappointed to note you were not happy with your Afternoon Tea, and will discuss the issues you have raised with the Foyer Manager. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

First things first, my boyfriend and myself traveled to the slieve Russel for a wedding on 17/08/14 we arrived at the hotel an hour before check in from the moment we walked through the door we were greeted by several lovely staff members, and we decided to chance our arm to see if they would let us check in then instead of waiting an hour, they were grand with that and everyone at reception was very pleasant, they checked us in straight away. When we arrived to our room it was beautiful, our room was a basic standard double room, so id love to see one of the deluxe rooms as I don't really know how it could be much better, it was fantastic. something quite off putting was that there was a man on a ladder at our window for quite a while painting the window frame, we put this down to the fact that we had been aloud to check in an hour early and that if we had checked in on time this guy would have already finished for the day and thought no more of it. We realized we had forgotten the card for the bride and grooms present, but there was nothing to worry about as the gift shop had everything you could possibly need, so we got a replacement there, they also had lots of beautiful jewellery on sale which I had to drag myself away from! As far as the wedding was concerned it was seamless.... drinks regularly topped up throughout the meal, each course came out promptly with military precision, there was no awkward wait for the whole table to be served before you could tuck in as this was literally done within seconds! The food was of the highest standard I have ever received at a wedding, beautifully presented but most importantly delicious! We danced the night away and then went up to bed, the bed was really comfortable and I slept really well! We got up at 8.30 the next day to head down for breakfast, there was an extensive continental breakfast and a cooked breakfast available, both options were beautiful and there was a really laid back relaxed atmosphere. When we returned to our room our shower was intermittent between hot and cold/ on and off... we put this down to the building perhaps being quite old, or people flushing the toilet next door/turning their taps on at the same time. We persevered and it was fine. At around 10.15 someone arrived on a ladder at our window again while we were getting dressed (check out is at 11) it gave me a bit of a fright but I just drew the curtains tighter, I assume this isn't a regular thing and that they just happened to be having refurbishments while we were there! All in all I had a fabulous time, such a beautiful venue for a wedding all of the staff were cheerful and attentive, every staff member you met in the hallways went out of their way to make you feel welcome which is something you don't usually see, we had a lovely time and will definitely be returning, thank you very much Slieve Russel!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your excellent review and I am pleased to read all your positive comments. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the Wedding you attended here recently at Slieve Russell and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Hubby and I attended a wedding 14th August have to say from my point of view as a guest everything was perfect. Our room overlooked part of the golf course and had wonderful views of the gardens and mountains beyond a very peaceful setting. The room 644 on reception level floor was large, very clean with a large very comfortable bed (want one please) and large bathroom with both bath and walk in shower. Oh and very important the room was not exceptionally hot during the night which was important to a good night's sleep and we never heard a sound from we closed the door until we came out the next morning. The wedding dinner that evening was wonderful and breakfast next morning was also excellent the serving staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
Plenty of comfortable sofas in the reception/lounge areas and although it was midweek there was live music in the bar.
Only problem was we had to return home the next day but hopefully we will be able to return and
make use of the spa and leisure facilities. This really is a lovely place can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the level we were on rooms began with 6 - - so I presume it was the sixth floor even though...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am pleased to read your positive comments about our rooms, gardens and food. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the Wedding you attended here at Slieve Russell and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyconnell
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Westville Hotel
Westville Hotel
#2 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!