“Thoroughly enjoyed my stay”

and 1 more site!
Ross House Equestrian Holidays
Ranked #1 of 2 Mountnugent B&B and Inns
Nenthead, null, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyed my stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I stayed at Ross House in 2010 and feel I want to add my impression after reading some negative comments. I had a great time and would go back anytime. I had a warm welcome and enjoyed the a peaceful night in an airy room which led out into the courtyard. Walking round the yard I was able to get up close to the horses and it didn't seem a bother for the young man working to answer my many questions. Breakfast was a feast and since I don't drive a taxi was sorted for me without a problem. I didn't want to leave and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Ross House is a working stables,it's rare to have the freedom to get as close to the horses as you can there. I'd recommend a visit without hesitation. M. Rickerby

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Margaret R

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

Unbelievably poor accommodation. The worst I have ever seen. We were told they were busy and tired so would do breakfast at 8 for our young kids. We decided to leave immediately. They billed us for a night as we had "cancelled". We were so desperate to leave we didn't argue. I rang Peter who couldn't understand the difference between cancelling and thinking an establishment so poor that you would prefer to continue to drive hours into the night with your young family than to stay there. From other reviews clearly a consistent experience.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Djmcmahon72
Enniskillen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

This large house + stable buildings is at best far off the beaken track. However the welcome outweighs this. We were at a wedding in a nearby hotel. We were given a lift by the owners daughter to the wedding venue. The breakfast was prefect. Even the local pets cats dogs and horses were friendly. I just loved our brief stay. Thank you very much.
Paul + Eileen

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paulodee
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

Although we stayed a year ago the experience is still fresh in my mind & I felt obliged to inform the public about it. We booked in (family of 4) & were brought to an upstairs apartment. The room was old, damp &dusty, ashes from the previous tennants still in the fireplace, dead flies on the window sill,There were cracks in the doors between rooms so you could actually see through the doors into the next room. A long blue rope hung from a skylight in the middle of the kitchen area!! (I can only hope the previous lodgers werent so depressed they hung themselves) so you actually had to walk around it in the kitchen. The tv was like something from the 1970s, the bunk beds in the bedroom had no ladder so my son had to make a run across the room to jump up on the top bed. The skylight above the top bunk had cobwebs hanging from it with flies attached! We stayed the night (were booked in for 2) The next morning we told Peter, the owner that we were booking out & were not paying for a 2nd night, and he was extremely rude, saying that we couldnt do that because we had booked for 2 nights. He seemed in disbelief that we didnt find our stay pleasurable!! We left and 2 weeks later I received a letter from him practically harassing me for the payment for the 2nd night, saying that we still owed him money. I wrote back to him listing all the reasons for not staying-(the list lasted 2 pages long) and advised him under no circumstances would I be paying. He wrote to me again asking for the payment- at this stage I advised him I would be contacting the Irish tourist board if I heard from him again & told him I was writing a report for Trip Advisor. I never heard from him again.
Please do not waste your money on this dump, you would feel more comfortable sleeping in a tent. Its not overly cheap either. I cannot believe anyone could recommend this place!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Betty071
offaly
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

i would regard myself as easy going and am happy to stay in basic accommodation once it isn't damp and fusty. however, my experience here was very disappointing to say the least. we arr ived at nine and by half ten i could no longer tolerate the dampness of the room. i found i couldn't breathe and resolved myself to the fact that i wouldn't get a wink of sleep. fortunately, a friend of mine lives closeby in mountnugent so my husband drove us back to her house. he returned to spend the night there (he would happily put up with the rough and ready). the next morning he said he got a good breakfast. when he explained that his wife and child had to leave the room the night before he was met with dismay and disbelief and an attitude that more or less said that if we couldn't hack a place like this then don't bother booking a place with old charms like this in the future. the owner (blonde haired woman) wanted to charge for the two nights we had booked for even though we wouldn't stay another night there. customer service was very poor - no towels in the ensuite, a very pokey en-suite. we could hear the guests next door going to the toilet. the owner's attitude was unrelenting.....it was more or less our fault if we couldn't put up with it. don't stay there unless it's the summer time otherwise it is just too damp.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank mc1211
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

I stayed here in October 2010 with my sister and her husband for one night only for a wedding at the local Crover Hotel. The lady who greeted us and served us breakfast was charming and willing to talk with us. The horses ,dogs, cats were on their best behaviour. They dogs seemed to be rescue and were very docile and friendly, not one of them barked during the night or morning.
The view from the breakfast room was stunning.
At night time it was nice to see the stars being a city dweller.
If you dont mind getting your feet muddied, this place is a cracker
The only thing we would recommend is that the signpost on the main road was larger, more prominent, and said how many kilometres the house was. Also it would have been helpful if there was another sign nearer, to remind you of how many more kilometres it was away. Other than that highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Megooze2010
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

My husband and I stayed at Ross House for 3 days and wished we could have stayed longer. The Owners were attentive, concerned about our comfort and most helpful with the many questions we had as visiting Americans. The Inn was quaint, very homey, and we quickly felt as though we were part of the family. The Horses were very well cared for, and when I slipped and busted on the ice, they didn't even laugh! (even though my husband and I did) We are looking forward to our next visit and enjoying the company of the most sincere and caring host who quickly became our friends! The food was fantastic! The Company was friendly, and the Country Gorgeous!

By all means VISIT! and do take time to walk in the Countryside...treasures to be seen EVERYWHERE! A home away from home!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rhowenna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountnugent
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
#1 of 4 in Oldcastle
The Fincourt
The Fincourt
#2 of 4 in Oldcastle

Been to Ross House Equestrian Holidays? Share your experiences!