and 1 more site!
Ross House Equestrian Holidays
Ranked #1 of 2 Mountnugent B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I spent a weekend here with friends and my horses, and had such a fantastic time. I'll definitely be back :)

Ellinor is a great host, we don't know how she finds the time, in the morning we had fantastic lessons and by the time we had the horses put away for the evening, she was on hand to serve up our delicious dinner. We got to watch the sunset going down on Lough Sheelin in the cosy dining room.

Every course was lovely but the starter and desert were to die for!

If you want to bring your horses away for a day or two, and absolutely spoil yourself, its great value. The grounds are so expansive, there is beautiful hacking, and the facilities are second to none.

Its also very peaceful and scenic, so for walking holidays or a really relaxed country stay, its perfect.

We popped into Old Castle for lunch on two occassions, and it has everything you need too, we had great food both in The Potty Hen Tea rooms, and Caffreys pub also.

As far as the riding instruction is concerned, I brought a really young horse who I'd had a bad confidence knock with, on the first day I was so nervous, I cried, and by the second, I was popping over little jumps, a huge leap forward for us!

If you haven't been here with your horse, you need to go :)

Room Tip: I went with a group of friends and some of us had rooms with the older decor, and some with the reno...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Silverstork

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I recently stayed at Ross House Equestrian centre with some friends and our horses for a weekend break. On arrival you get a very warm welcome from all the staff. Ross House is a working equestrian establishment so there are an assortment of friendly cats and dogs that also welcome you on arrival, which is very charming. The old stable blocks and stone courtyards are a beautiful setting.

I stayed in Room 4 which has recently been updated to a very high standard with lovely decor, flat screen tv, endless hot water, a powerful shower and extremely comfortable bed. Like Room 3, Room 4 features it's own mini-conservatory. Perfect for early morning tea drinking in the sun. Rooms were very clean with lots of towels and the usual tea/coffee making facilities. There is a renovation plan for all of the accommodation so I look forward to seeing the results if this room is the guide!

We had dinner on Saturday night and breakfast on Sunday morning. Both meals were faultless, perfectly delicious and very generous. The staff (in particular Ellinor) are exceptional at hosting guests. Genial, helpful, chatty and endlessly accommodating even though there were a lot of guests over a very busy weekend. The view from the dining room is amazing too, eating dinner with a colourful Lough Sheelin sunset to watch was very memorable.

Although Ross House do various activities we only made use of the equestrian facilities which are second to none. We had two lessons with Ellinor (on our own horses) which were fantastic and we used some of the local hacking - quiet lanes and bridleways - in the afternoons. Equine digs can be stables or paddocks (we had chosen paddocks) and there is plenty of safe parking for your trailers etc.

We drove into nearby Oldcastle which is 15-20mins away, for lunch on both days (our choice). Oldcastle is very pretty with a great little cafe - The Potty Hen, and a very good Steakhouse/Gastropub - Cafferys in the town. Both do very good food at great value for money and the drive to Oldcastle is easy and scenic. Cavan is approx 30mins also if you wanted to go to a bigger town.

For a relaxing, fun holiday run by lovely hosts I would absolutely recommend Ross House whether you are interested in horses or not.

Room Tip: Both rooms which we occupied were very clean, comfortable and tidy. Room 4 was particularly lovely t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Judi G
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Beautiful setting and we went on a horse riding hack with the entire family. Ellinor was a wonderful hostess and really made us feel at home. She also cooked a terrific Irish breakfast and took a lot of time to answer our questions on local history and features. Everyone was very friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Craig K
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I'm just home from a fabulous stay in Ross House. Clancy2 and me had the pleasure of 3 nights accommodation. I know Clancy2 might prefer his time roaming the fields but he had a lovely big stable to b
hunker down.

Robert and Ellinor and wonderful hosts. It's a quirky kind of place, but that's why I love it all the more. I love the fact that all the cats hang around and are more than willing to come for a cuddle. The dogs are hilarious as well.. and so friendly.

My main reason for staying was to avail of the top class tuition provided by both Elli and Robert. I had fantastic lessons and my riding improved no end.. I certainly didn't need rocking by the end of the day, after a good gruelling from my coaches. I LOVED it!!

The place is so tranquil.. I cannot explain and so easy going.

The breakfasts are delicious with some very good coffee... and mushrooms that actually taste like mushrooms.. that's quite unique I think.

The accommodation may be a little dated, but all is on the way to being refurbished. It is however, very clean and comfortable.

If you are looking for 5* luxury, this isn't the place, but if you are looking for very friendly, easy going, quiet and soul soothing ambiance, then this just could be the place for you. If you love horses, then ... you'll love it. If you want to improve your horse or your riding... a no brainer..

I can't wait to return...

Here's to Elli and Robert!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thelionspet
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Palladian style house set on beautiful lake. To me it was off the beaten track but this is definitely the beauty of the place. When you walk to the lake and gaze out there is the feeling of nothing or no one for miles. Bliss. Back at the house there is all mod cons. Quite quirky decor with taxidermi in the breakfast room. Very historic. Warm family atmosphere. Suitable for kids. We had two ages four and six. It is a half hour drive to Belvedere house in Mullingar. Great forest park and another historic house. We had been there for green Santa at Christmas. Would like to return in the summer when we would make better use of the boating facilities and maybe even a horse ride. Eleanor and Robert were perfect hosts.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank whe2312
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have stayed in Ross House a few times and the owners/staff went out of thier way to help. Even providing transport to + from the local village for us. The rooms are in the process of being updated (march '14) and the Full breakfast is delicious. This B+B is based in an old courtyard just off a working stables + you can see how passionate they are for their horses. Children + Dogs are welcome. The piece and quite of the area is a perfect getaway. Horseriding, lovely areas for walking in woodlands + along lakeside, a tennis court + fishing with boat hire are offered. - great for families of all ages who like the outdoors, horsey people who can also bring thier horse for B+B, any fishing enthuiast. Or if your attending an event/occassion in the nearby Clover hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank L M
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I have stayed in Ross House on a few occasions and thoroughly enjoyed it each time. It is situated in a beautifully natural setting where you can't help but feel completely relaxed. For me it is the perfect getaway from hectic life.
I have stayed here as part of a group of couples three times. I have also stayed with a large group of friends. The neighboring animals and the friendly staff made us all feel very welcome. Elinor, Robbie and family were extremely welcoming and made us feel at home from the minute we arrived. The food was lovely. I would definitely recommend the Full Irish Breakfast!!
Your biggest problem will be getting yourself to leave this idyllic place.
I look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 0HanA18
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountnugent
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
Ross Castle B&B
Ross Castle B&B
#1 of 4 in Oldcastle
0 mi away
Lough Sheelin Guest House
Lough Sheelin Guest House
#2 of 2 in Mountnugent

Been to Ross House Equestrian Holidays? Share your experiences!