“Memorable Night”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blacklion
MacNean House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blacklion
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Five years ago I was the winner of a prize from Dunnes Stores of a meal to be cooked and served in my house by Neven Maguire personally with his team. It was a night to remember being held on my 45th birthday and I used it as a fund raiser for a charity ARC House whose services I had utilised while being treated for breast cancer. Myself and my twelve guests had a wonderful night.

It was my 50th birthday in March and to mark it I wanted to go to McNean House and restaurant as part of my celebrations. We booked last September and as we wanted to stay over the nearest date to my birthday was Friday April 13th thankfully neither myself or my three friends are superstitious.

We were greeted warmly at reception, assigned a lovely spacious room beautiful decor and we eat the delicious homemade cookies. The welcome card in the room a lovely touch.

We booked the 9.30pm dinner setting and chose from the dinner menu while sitting in the cozy lounge area and what a choice. Nevin himself greeted us and the other diners in the lounge and explained the menu to us.

The restaurant is lovely and the food superb and there is suprises served in between the courses. The service is excellent with the staff explaining the selections served. We finished our dining experience at 12.45am and adjourned to the lounge.

I was delighted we had decided to book the overnight accomadation as the next morning we had another culinary delight breakfast. Another great selection to choose from and you must definitely try the porridge, every guest having breakfast was trying same I will not ruin the suprise. The service excellent again.

It may have taken me five years to visit McNean House and Restaurant but it will not take another five for me to make a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for MacNean House & Restaurant

Reviewed 30 March 2012

The best culinary experience my husband and I have had. We had waited a long time to book in to this restaurant. Imelda ,the receptionist extended a most warm welcome to us and after tea and home baked biscuits she showed us to our room in the original family home. The room was beautifully decorated. We choose the dinner menu as opposed to Prestige menu. Every course was a culinary delight. Taste and presentation was outstanding. . What we liked in particular were those little surprises that came to us between courses. An atmosphere of congeniality in the dining grew to the point that we had a wonderful with the couple seated next to us. The food was exquisite and the atmosphere was homely.We really liked the explanation that the table attendant gave to point out the culinary delights of each dish. We were given an indication by Imelda that the breakfast was going to be special and at certainly turned out to be so. Presentation and taste was first class . We will certainly be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fionnuala_7
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Myself, two sisters and my mother went here for my mothers birthday. We stayed out in the courtyard house, which was a beautiful two bedroom house. With loving living area etc. We checked in at the hotel and were then driven to the house. We told them a time to collect us at and they collected us and brought us to the restaurant. Imelda Nevan's wife greeted everyone and was lovely. We had the taster menu with wine selection, The food was divine, the wine was great and the service was great. Glass of champagne to start and then various white and red wines. The staff explained each food and wine course. Everything was perfect. We will definitely return and tried to book it again for this year in June but it is fully booked for accomodation. When we return the four of us agreed that we will not go for the wine selection as it was quite a bit of wine, we would just order our wine separately. After our meal we were brought back to the lounge area. Nevan himself was walking around and I stopped him and explained it was my mothers birthday and he came over and met her and we all had our photos taken and he give her a DVD. So he was really nice. We also had the option of getting our breakfast served in the house or having a bigger range of breakfast in the restaurant, He recommended that we get the breakfast in the restaurant as its a good experience. He was right. The breakfast was fantastic. A real treat. Overall for 4 meals including the wine courses and the accomodation we paid around €700. So it was costly enough for one night, but a lovely treat and well worth it. Would definitely recommend it and will return.

Room Tip: There were four of us so we stayed out in their courtyard houses, which were a km or so away from th...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2012

What can I say about MacNean House that hasn't been said already? Probably nothing because it's all been said and is all so positive and is all true. We visited last year and promised ourselves a return visit. We rang the day the book opened and booked another 2 night stay.

I was a little worried it would not live up to how good it was the 1st time. Well no need to worry. Not only did it live up to it, it surpassed it. The amazing food was somehow improved on. The staff as always were 1st class without it seeming false and they took a genuine interest in what you were doing during your stay and delighted to have us there for 2 nights.

We stayed in the standard room and it was lovely, huge storage space, fantastic shower and as always the lovely homemade cookies in the room!

Again we went for the prestige menu and certain items had changed or been updated and they somehow made it an even better experience than the 1st time. The restaurant is so nice and welcoming and not pretencious at all.

The breakfast again is to die for. Who thought a fry could be so good and as for the porridge! It HAS to be tried.

All in all 5 star food, 5 star service, 5 star wines and in a gorgeous location.
Already planning a 3rd visit!

Room Tip: Have stayed in the standard and delux rooms and the Delux is obviously better but not to the point t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SteveWhite81
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Our second visit to MacNean House and having raved about it to our friends for 9 months we were a little apprehensive that it should be as good as we remembered. We need not have worried - if anything it was even better and our friends were absolutely blown away! We had the Prestige taster menu and every last morsel was fabulous - it could not be faulted. Once again we ordered one of everything and shared, as we did not want to miss the opportunity of tasting every single thing! The service was very professional and friendly but of course the star of the night is Neven himself! How he manages to find the time to come out and speak to all his diners is beyond me. But he does it so well, taking the time to talk to everyone and even explaining the menu. It is a very nice touch that he signs and gives away copies of his cookbooks to guests. The atmosphere in the dining room has a real buzz and is very relaxed. We love it and have our next visit booked. The only thing that we all agree that has to change is that we stay at MacNean House overnight and sample on of Neven's legendary breakfasts.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Speedyreader
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Can't praise this place enough..this was our second visit and, again, everything was first class..the food and ambience is second to none..and on both occasions both neven & amelda made us feel like valued customers and took time to talk to us. Superb food, lovely wines, we loved the somellier and all the staff, gorgeous rooms..it is expensive but so worth it for that special treat!
We will be back very soon!!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 18 December 2011

The best restaurant that i have ever ate in .. i have eaten in many in London and nothing comes close to mac nean house. It should have a Michelin star if not 3..
The food is amazing and well worth the waiting list!

You just can get everything at mac nean house best thing in Ireland since sliced bread seriously! I had a pumpkin soup to start was slickly and full of flavour with the best bread and butter in the world.

I had the rack of lamb for main course however I thought that the herb crust was very strong and overpowered the lamb however the lamb was of extreme quality and cooked to my liking rare/medium. The desserts were very good I had the chocolate plate which highlight French classics such as an opera cake was very nice and the chocolate tasted very good!

The petite fours at the end were such delightful which included a French macaroon also other pastry’s and cakes which were very good! The service was very good and down to earth and treats everyone which care and respect the attention to detail that mac nean good to is remarkable!

Its show that our country can produce great food and the quality of the produces used in the restaurant is really pleasing such a gastronomic experience in the Irish countryside!

"Best meal i ever had"

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank colly92
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacklion
Lough Erne Resort
#1 of 1 in Irvinestown
Sligo Park Hotel
Sligo Park Hotel
#4 of 8 in Sligo

Been to MacNean House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!