“Out of this world!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blacklion
MacNean House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blacklion
Ireland
“Out of this world!”
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We recently spent two nights in Macnean House, the staff couldn't make you feel more welcome and all have a great knack at remembering names which is a nice touch. The rooms are 4* hotel standard and spotless. The breakfast is amazing, i'm not a porridge eater, but tried the infamous Macnean House porridge, you would get up in the middle of the night to eat it, smashing. We ate in the restaurant on the 2nd night, 3 couples and all of us went for the prestige tasting menu, it was a culinary masterclass of food to die for. All 6 of us could not complement the food anymore. Nevin himself went out of his way to meet us after dinner as he did with all guests. You could not meet a more down to earth gentleman and very genuine, as it was my brothers birthday he gave him a signed cook book, very nice touch. Couldn't recommend it highly enough, will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Belfast
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

From the welcome until the gracious farewell, Nevin's team does the business to the highest standards. The ambience is excellent and the decor fits perfectly - we even recognised the Laura Ashley wallpaper! Nevin called with each guest and seemed genuinely interested in why people were there - a simple touch that should be embraced by all Irish businesses. The food choice could not be faulted apart from the fact that it was hard to choose. The bread choices were fresh, inventive and full of flavour. Sweet potato velouté and a ham hock spring roll as a free entree really set the standard for the rest of the evening. scallops and red snapper were delicious as were the rabbit and duck dishes. We then had lamb and beef both of which were melt in your mouth fantastic. The palate cleanser of creme brûlée and strawberry cheesecake with space dust was another unexpected surprise and left us just ready for the trio of chocolate and five wonderful cheeses. Barista red wine from South African was perfect for the early courses - we love it anyway - and a nice dessert wine for herself and a Jameson for me finished the evening off delightfully. If there is one downside to highlight it's that the whole experience can't be and isn't rushed - we were booked for 9pm and were leaving the restaurant fully satisfied about 4 hours later. The cost, at €100 each, may appear high however that included food, wine, drinks and service - quite excellent value in our view. It's hard to get a reservation - we waited over six months - but it was well worth the wait. Not just excellent food, an overall fantastic experience. Thanks Nevin. We'll be back in several months time.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JTsDad
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Went here with a family group of five adults for a birthday celebration. When we arrived our rooms were not ready but the staff apologised for the delay as they had late check out. We were offered tea or coffee while we waited and we were asked a few times if we were being looked after.

The rooms were lovely they'd have tea or coffee and homemade biscuits in them. There is also a welcoming message from Neven and all the staff.
We had the first sitting for dinner. So we ordered a pre dinner drink which we had out on the terrace while we looked through the menu. When we decided what we wanted a staff member came to take our order. One of the staff came to tell us when our table was ready. One member of our group had special dietary needs which we had informed the staff of in advance so they had catered for this.
Neven came out to meet us after and he greeted us as if we were friends or family. As we were celebrating a birthday he gave us a drink and got his latest cookery book signed it and gave it to the member of our group celebrating their birthday.

We will definetly return again. Good luck and thanks to Neven Amelda and all the staff

Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Anne K
Easton, Maryland
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We were lucky enough to make a reservation coinciding with our bike trip in the area (note we made the reservation 5 months in advance). I can't speak highly enough for this superb restaurant. You don't just eat at MacNean's, you experience it. From start to finish, we felt welcomed and as if we were the most important diners in the restaurant, albeit we were two of a packed house. The meal was exquisite. Their wine steward was able to help us choose the perfect bottle of wine for our choices. The chef visits with the guests after the service, and what a joy he was to meet. It is no wonder why this is such a popular restaurant.

If you plan to be in the area, phone ahead to secure reservations. By the time we phoned, only wed/thurs were available through the summer, which was perfect for us. We hope to return to Ireland again, and this will be on our itenerary.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beth P
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We go here once a year as a treat. Went last night as a party of 8. TOTAL PERFECTION as usual. Thank you everyone @ macneans for an amazing night. Staff were fantastic. We went for the E72 menu & it was sensational. Fab wine list too. Already planning next years visit

• Stayed June 2013
ireland
Reviewed 25 June 2013

As MacNean House is on TripAdvisor twice, under MacNean Restaurant and again under MacNean House & Restaurant, I’ll do two separate reviews, one for the restaurant and one for the hotel. This a review of the hotel and room and the other site is for the restaurant.

Our room was at the top of the hotel, up 4 flights of stairs, so be aware of that and there is no lift. We had a lot of luggage but it was ok for us as we are relatively fit. The room was the smallest in the hotel, I knew that when I booked, but I was very pleased it, the décor was lovely and fresh and bright and the bathroom a good size. It was spotlessly clean and for the first time ever, there were 4 toilet rolls in the bathroom. I think there’s nothing worse than having to ask for toilet roll! A minor point, but important. The shower was powerful and easy to operate and there were plenty of travel sized toiletries to use and take with you.
Tea and coffee making facilities with a jar of fresh, home-made cookies. There was even a small bottle of fresh milk which they bring to your room when you check in.

The bed was firm but comfortable, there was radio, set to place soothing music when we checked in and a Samsung flat screen tv on the wall.

Now for the negatives.

The main one is, the walls are just made of board and you can hear nearly everything going on in the next room. If they have their TV on, then tough! You’ll get the noise through your wall and you’ll have to put your TV on to drown out next doors. It’s just as well that I always bring earplugs when I travel as I’d find that very stressful in my room, listening to next doors TV and conversations and laughing. Not too bad at 3 in the afternoon, but try again at 1am. I guess there’s nothing the hotel can do about that, but I’ll still have to take a point for it as it’s something that ruin a stay anywhere.

Speaking of noise, the windows aren’t soundproofed and there’s a pub or club on the main street below which played music till the early hours of the morning and we were kept awake by the non-stop thumping bass.

The next morning, I think the people in the next room had checked out early-ish and the staff were in cleaning the room. They were in and out and in and out every minute and each and every time, they slammed the bedroom door, shaking us. If you wanted a lie in or if you had a headache or hangover, that’s again tough, because there is no peace here for you. There was absolutely no consideration by the staff for the people in the adjoining rooms and I very nearly went out in my boxer shorts to get them to shut up.

And lastly with the noise, on the other side of us, was a private staff only room. I don’t know what was in there, but it sounded like an ice machine or a generator and made the most awful crunching moaning sound through our wall. So, yes, noise, noise everywhere, and there was no peace here until about 2am, which is a shame. A peaceful haven it is not.

And lastly on the room, the tv regularly loses it’s signal, leaving a blank screen and this must happen every 2 minutes, so the hotel really needs to get that sorted.

Breakfast the next day was fabulous and of course, I over-did it.

Your cooked order was taken, and I had the famous porridge followed by a cooked breakfast. The porridge is made with cream and is served with a dash of Irish Mist liqueur, a spoonful of honey and more cream. I was very much looking forward to trying it and while it was nice and I’m glad I tried it, I wouldn’t be rushing to have it again. It tasted like a very cream rice pudding made with lashings of cream and is a very rich thing to have first thing in the morning (after having had a huge dinner the night before). I’ll stick to making my porridge with water and a little milk.

The cooked breakfast was quite nice, a sausage, 2 rashers of bacon, a small drop of mushrooms, half a tomato, a slice of small black pudding, a slick of small white booking and half a slice of boxty, (potato cake).
Surprisingly for such a gastronomically renowned restaurant, the cooked breakfast was nice. It was adequate. That’s as much praise as I can heap. The sausage was ok, the puddings were small and average, I’ve had better of every item on the plate elsewhere. I would have thought the cooked breakfast would have been something extraordinary, a culinary triumph, but it wasn’t. It was…fine.

My wife has the eggs Benedict which didn’t have hollandaise sauce but a different sauce, and it also had spinach on it…so how is that eggs Benedict??? She said it was ok, the sauce was too sharp.

There were also lots of other things to help yourself to, juices, tiny pastries and scones, breads, meats and cheese. There were also a few little fancy yoghurt dishes, most of them topped with Granola. As I hate nuts, I asked one of the ladies serving if the granola had nuts in it and she replied that yes, it did. I told here that I hated nuts and she left it at that. There was no volunteering to make one for me without granola. A spoonful of yoghurt and a spoonful of compote. Easy stuff. But no, it wasn’t offered.

But in saying that, the staff were excellent. From the people who check you in, who serve at dinner and breakfast to checking out, everybody smiled throughout and were great.

To summarise, lovely room, lovely staff, good breakfast…but too much noise and if I went back again sometime (it’s a two and a half hour drive from Dublin, a half hour outside Enniskillen in County Fermanagh), I’d try and stay somewhere else local that was ice and quiet and where I might even get a chance of a peaceful sleep and a bit of a lie in.

And oh yes! The price of the room was great and when I think that it included the breakfast, i'm moving the rating from a 3 to a 4 star review.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cartagia
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was very lucky to get to MacNean on 7th June, as its a very hard place to secure a reservation after this wonderful visit I can see why, the minute we walked in the door we were greeted warmly given the tour and advised about dinner, MacNean House is based in Blacklion Co. Cavan one blink and you would miss it, but worth every mile of the journey from Tipperary. The room we had was so elegant all decorated in muted purple and blues which continue throughout the whole house, Dinner was at 6.30pm and we went into the bar beforehand to have an aperitif whilst we perused the menu. We were then invited into the dining room which is not huge but not small (seats 60) and there are two sittings every evening. To chose from the extensiive menu was very difficult but finally we made the choice to say that every morsel tasted like heaven wouldnt even do the whole meal justice, the starters were scallops and quail and the second course was gounard and john dory, for the mains we had trout and lamb (3 types of lamb) it was amazing, the dessert was strawberry shortcake and a fantastic creme brulee ! it was definitely one of the best if not the best meal I have ever tasted. As if you could be hungry the next day, breakfast was served in the dining room again, another fantastic repast, of salmon, scrambled eggs, croissants, a type of muesli but it was blended with cream and some smoothies. Out of this world, Neven Maguire has created an amazing place here, we were very lucky to meet the Maestro who signed two books for us, I so cannot wait to make the return journey to MacNean and hope that anyone reading this puts it onto your to do before you die list.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be quiet enough we were lucky to have a room at the back.