“Absolutely brilliant”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blacklion
MacNean House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blacklion
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed in macnean house last week - booked last march after trying non stop for nearly 3 days to get through for a reservation - travelled 6 hours fm cork to get there was it worth it YES! It was a birthday treat from my husband and boy was it a treat! The food was out of this world dinner was excellent but breakfast just as good irish mist porridge yum! Neven maguire is a pure gentleman irene on reception was very helpful and the barman was so friendly! we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank rose h

Reviewed 1 August 2013

A crack team of three people rang around the clock in September 2012 to ensure the soonest booking…in June 2013 the 7 of us (the food crew) made the drive to McNean house to indulge in the Prestige Tasting menu (of course with wine) and the gorgeous vintage feel surrounds of McNean House.
Between us we had 3 rooms, all beautifully decorated, spotless, with exquisite touches like delicious freshly baked cookies and vintage radios humming lyric fm throughout the room. Luckily the awaiting menu is definitely enough to drag you from the haze of tea, cookies, and comfy beds.
Oh and what a menu it is – 9 courses of the finest cooking, stunning presentation, inspired food combinations and delightfully paired wines. I would love to relive every dish, but it would require an epic tale of culinary wonderfulness. So what to highlight?? The Quail, served after to die for bread, and a fresh and vibrant fish trio and rich truffle cappuccino. Oh the quail. I’m a big fan of this tiny bird – and in Neven’s it’s delivered sweetly barbecued, with a confit melt in the mouth leg and a decadent salty fois gras. Spectacular.
After another moreish delight of scallops and pork cheek, the palate is delicately cleansed by a ginger, passion fruit, fresh explosion. And then to the main show – the main course. Now I chose the beef (choices on a tasting menu, does this place get any better??) and though I’m assured by those who chose it the lamb was just as good, I know I got the winner. I don’t think I’ve ever tasted a fillet like it – the flavour, the texture, perfection, accompanied by my favourite in the starch family, the sweet potato, irrepressible oyster mushrooms in the Madeira, and the most delicious tiny pickled onions, popping with a most memorable flavour. The next was the goats cheese and I would love to go on, but I’ll just say beautiful.
At this stage, you would expect us to be stuffed to the gills – but this dinner is so well paced, so well delivered by the fantastic guys in the dining room – everything is timed to perfection ensuring plenty of space for not one but two desserts. And my god what deserts. I think we all expected the mystery desert on the menu to be a little sorbet but it was a superb collection of strawberries, deconstructed cheese cake and to die for crème burlee, and then followed by the theatrical Chocolate Sensation Dome. And I can ensure you, it is a sensation. The whole experience was a delight – every detail, every morsel of food (including breakfast the next morning) was worth the wait.
After what can only be described as an epic evening of eating, one simply must retire to the bar, and debate at length, where is this man’s Michelin star???

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liz_PP
Reviewed 31 July 2013

If you enjoy good food, good service and beautiful surroundings MacNean House & Restaurant is the place to be. Absolutely amazing and I cannot rate this place highly enough. Superb Sunday Lunch and is very well priced at only €39.

So happy to have a restaurant like this on my door step. Neven and his staff work very hard and I wish them every success.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Brian K
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My advice is this: if you enjoy excellent food, comfortable surroundings and superb service then this is the place for you. We had wanted to try McNean House for some time and were apprehensive that it may not live up to our expectations. It more than exceeded them.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MumC1977
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Rooms were great. Really spacious, comfortable, bright and the shower was great!
Staff were very professional and friendly.
Food was incredible. I can personally vouch for the scallops, duck (the foie gras with rhubarb was exceptional) and monkfish! The canapès, pre desert and petit fours were all fantastic little touches.
Considering the time it takes to get booking and the hype surrounding it, was it worth it? Answer is absolutely!
Are there areas for improvement? Yes. Anything serious that actually took away from the enjoyment? No but here goes.
-there was an unexplained delay when we checked in while our keys were located
-tea stained cup in one of our rooms
-buffet wasn't proactively restocked. We had to ask for more of the smoothies and gave up on the meats.
-rooms at the front overlooking main st blacklion with the pubs playing some really shocking music...loudly
These are all minor issues, we had a fantastic time and would highly recommend it to all!

Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We recently spent two nights in Macnean House, the staff couldn't make you feel more welcome and all have a great knack at remembering names which is a nice touch. The rooms are 4* hotel standard and spotless. The breakfast is amazing, i'm not a porridge eater, but tried the infamous Macnean House porridge, you would get up in the middle of the night to eat it, smashing. We ate in the restaurant on the 2nd night, 3 couples and all of us went for the prestige tasting menu, it was a culinary masterclass of food to die for. All 6 of us could not complement the food anymore. Nevin himself went out of his way to meet us after dinner as he did with all guests. You could not meet a more down to earth gentleman and very genuine, as it was my brothers birthday he gave him a signed cook book, very nice touch. Couldn't recommend it highly enough, will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 18 July 2013

From the welcome until the gracious farewell, Nevin's team does the business to the highest standards. The ambience is excellent and the decor fits perfectly - we even recognised the Laura Ashley wallpaper! Nevin called with each guest and seemed genuinely interested in why people were there - a simple touch that should be embraced by all Irish businesses. The food choice could not be faulted apart from the fact that it was hard to choose. The bread choices were fresh, inventive and full of flavour. Sweet potato velouté and a ham hock spring roll as a free entree really set the standard for the rest of the evening. scallops and red snapper were delicious as were the rabbit and duck dishes. We then had lamb and beef both of which were melt in your mouth fantastic. The palate cleanser of creme brûlée and strawberry cheesecake with space dust was another unexpected surprise and left us just ready for the trio of chocolate and five wonderful cheeses. Barista red wine from South African was perfect for the early courses - we love it anyway - and a nice dessert wine for herself and a Jameson for me finished the evening off delightfully. If there is one downside to highlight it's that the whole experience can't be and isn't rushed - we were booked for 9pm and were leaving the restaurant fully satisfied about 4 hours later. The cost, at €100 each, may appear high however that included food, wine, drinks and service - quite excellent value in our view. It's hard to get a reservation - we waited over six months - but it was well worth the wait. Not just excellent food, an overall fantastic experience. Thanks Nevin. We'll be back in several months time.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTsDad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacklion
Lough Erne Resort
#1 of 1 in Irvinestown
The Enniskillen Hotel
The Enniskillen Hotel
#6 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to MacNean House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!