“"Wow ! what an experience"”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blacklion
MacNean House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blacklion
Coventry, United Kingdom
“"Wow ! what an experience"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Our daughter was planning her 40th birthday celebration on 7th March and expressed her desire to visit Nevan Mc Guires restaurant. I called the restaurant on 6th Jan and requested a booking for the event. They couldn't accommodate us on the night but offered us the previous night of 6th. I was delighted and readily accepted......it was meant to be! The bonus was being able to bring the children, not all establishments welcome them. The children took an interest in his TV shows and choose what they would like to taste. We requested their choices and were delighted to see them on the menu. Again from the moment of arrival, we were made to feel very special. The dinner menu was selected by all and thoroughly enjoyed. Cant wait for the next excuse to book.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Dubin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We were lucky to get a booking for McNean's recently and it was definitely worth the wait ! From the moment we arrived,we are made to feel very welcome, were brought up to a really nice bedroom with tea/coffee making facility and those lovely cookies. We had the late sitting for the meal and the atmosphere was lovely and everyone very relaxed. I can honestly say that it was the best meal that we have ever been served and we have been lucky to eat in a lot of the good restaurants around the country. We really liked the fact that there was a nice break between each course so we never felt we were being rushed. The staff explained each course very knowledgably.
The following morning, the breakfast was just as good, lovely porridge and poached apricots and very fresh traditional breakfast. The bread, scones etc were so fresh and tasty and you could eat as much as you want.
Overall, we felt the dinner and B & B were very good value and we will certainly be back - have recommended it to all family and friends as a must visit.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room which was very nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We have been to Macnean House on several occasions and it never fails to impress. From the minute you are greeted at the door to the minute you reluctantly leave , the staff look after your every need. The food is to die for and attention to detail is just wow! The 9pm. sitting is in my view the best as you can just linger..... If you wish to go you will need to book well in advance , so don't be disappointed.I did not rate the rooms as we have not had the pleasure to stay there as they were always fully booked.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Momac1968
Newbridge, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

This place is so popular that you have to book months in advance. But its not that easy to do even at that. The booking line only opens a couple of times a year and rooms go very quick. Might be a different story if you wish to just eat there without booking a room.
Arrived there and parked on the street right outside, which was free. There is also a car park just around the corner for guests. As soon as we walked in we were greeted with a big smile and very friendly staff. We were given a quick tour to show us where the dinning area and bar were and then we were shown up to our room on the top floor. The room was excellent, very spacious with a big bathroom and the view out the back was of Macnean's own herb garden which guests can walk around if the weather suits. There was a small walk in wardrobe with a radio and tea and coffee. A nice vanity unit, a chaise longue and a massive bed. The whole layout was perfect for a relaxing holiday.
We had the 6.30 sitting for dinner, which I would highly recommend as we were eating non stop until 09.20. We arrived down early and were told to wait in the bar with the other guests. There was a roaring fire and a nice atmosphere. We orders drinks and were given our menu's to look over before we went into the restaurant. a number of small starters were brought out to us while we were in the bar, these were not on the menu, as was the case with alot of the courses.
We went in for the meal at 6.30 and were blown away. Everything that was on the menu was amazing, we tried to order different course between us so that we could share the lot. Neither of us could decide on which we liked best, each course was as amazing as the other. We were also given little side courses in between each meal which were equally as amazing.There were 4 course mentioned on the menu but I lost count, I think it was around 9-10 courses in total. Each course described by your server with perfect detail, by the time I had my first 3 I didn't listen to them anymore though, I just wanted to keep eating, no offense to them.
I made the mistake of having 2 pints of Guinness across the road before the meal which pushed me over the "well fed" limited to totally stuffed so after the meal I just went up stairs to bed. I would recommend keeping your drinks small and eating nothing all day so that ou can enjoy this meal to the end and then enjoy a drink in the bar afterwards with the other guests.
Breakfast the next morning was not as good as the dinner but it was still excellent. Buffet with pastries, fruit, cereals and juices and then a separate menu for hot food. The fry up was not huge but after the meal the night before it didn't need to be.
When checking out we were handed a copy of the menu and a little booklet with a few cooking ideas which was a nice touch.
I would recommend this place to everyone, just be sure to plan well in advance and be patient, it is worth the wait.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor which was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher F
Fermanagh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We are so lucky to have a restaurant of such quality close to where we live. We have been dining in Nevens restaurant for years, and it never fails to impress. From the moment you step in the front door, the staff greet you like friends. The food is always superb, the atmosphere is warm and friendly, never stuffy. Neven and Imelda are so humble and never take their customers for granted. How this place does not yet have a Michelin star is baffling. This for us is the perfect night out!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tonifermanagh
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed in MacNeven House a few days ago - for dinner, bed and breakfast. We arrived early in the evening and were shown to one of the standard bedrooms. My wife was happy with the room; when she's happy, I'm happy. We went downstairs for dinner and waited in a very cosy area before being brought into the restaurant for dinner.
The restaurant was very brightly lit.. too bright.. it lacked atmosphere as a result. That said, dinner was exceptional. We loved it. Went to bed very happy overall.
Breakfast was a different story though.. A few issues.. First, the staff should realise that the kitchen is not sound-proofed..! We were sitting at our table, listening to loud clattering and noise, as well as loud speaking, from the kitchen.. Not what I want to hear first thing in the morning. We ordered coffee and I ordered the special breakfast.. The coffee arrived; it was barely warm. I asked for another pot of hot coffee. It arrived ten minutes later. We decided didn't take any as we expected breakfast to be delivered any minute.. Breakfast didn't arrive for another 15 minutes.. My request was simple.. I wanted hot coffee with my breakfast, so I asked for another pot. You've guessed it - that pot arrived after we had finished breakfast..! The breakfast itself was only average.. nothing "special" about the "special" breakfast.
When leaving, we were offered a complimentary book - food ideas for new parents. .Probably wouldn't be a bad book if we had kids.. we don't..
So, in summary, I think dinner was great, but the overall experience was not worth the price we paid. I would recommend dinner, if you can get there, but stay somewhere else. The B&B experience is over-priced and simply not worth it..

Room Tip: If you're having dinner, don't sit near the kitchen door area.. Sit closer to the front win...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank FD85114
roscommon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last Saturday. We have 2 children under two and haven't had a night away by ourselves in a very long time so this was a very special treat for us. The rooms are beautiful and the staff were lovely. The restaurant is formal but not in an intimidating Michelin star way - there really is a lovely atmosphere there. The food is amazing - couldn't fault it. One tip - if you are going for the tasting menu choose the 6.30 sitting as there are a lot of courses and it takes a good 3 hours to get through them all. We will definitely be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ros1068
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacklion
Lough Erne Resort
The Enniskillen Hotel
#6 of 7 in Enniskillen
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Customs House Country Inn

Been to MacNean House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!