“Ireland's Finest”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blacklion
MacNean House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blacklion
Falls Church, VA
“Ireland's Finest”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

In a small village in County Cavan, Ireland, called Blacklion is what may be Ireland's finest restaurant. Its chef, Neven Maguire, is creative and courageous in the menu he has developed. He uses organic ingredients, mostly locally sourced, and works magic with them. Six of us, three sisters and our grown daughters, enjoyed a memorable meal there our first night in Ireland. We also stayed the night in their Courthouse accommodations, which were lovely. We had the six course (I think) tasting menu, each course accompanied by great wine. MacNean House is out of the way, but not to be missed. My greatgrandfather, PJ Conway, was from Blacklion, so that's what brought MacNean House to our attention. It's pricey but worth every euro.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank stoupagr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Clare, Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Myself and my boyfriend booked this a few months ago and I have been looking forward to it for ages!! I was afraid I would have built it up too much and I would be disappointed. Thankfully that was not the case!
After a very long drive to get there we were checked into the B&B quickly and smoothly. The room was very nice. Comfy bed, clean with homemade biscuits along with (very welcomed) tea and coffee facilities.
The dinner was just fabulous. The service was great and timing was perfect. We weren't left waiting but at the same time had plenty of time to allow the previous course to settle! We were stuffed afterwards and headed to bed but Neven himself did come out to meet those dining so unfortunately we missed him.
The following morning breakfast was equally gorgeous and on check out the staff were so friendly, giving us plenty of great advice on where to travel to next. ALthough the price is steep I think it is worth every cent.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone and I really hope to return!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed 20 June 2010

My fiance and I visited McNeans on Saturday night. We decided to go for the whole package so we booked into the guest accomodation and chose the prestige menu €85 + the accompanying wines which was €125 per person. The accomadation on a bed and breakfast basis was €140. Overall everything was fantastic. The food was sublime. The service friendly, professional, non intrusive and perfectly helpful and conversational when we initated it. Each of the courses as good and better than the last - an amuse bouche of a fennel veloute had such intense flavour it can only be described as an amazing sense of umami. I wont go into every course but some of the most memorable elements include - katafi prawn, pork belly confit, the quail fois gras mouse, turbot with beef cheek, loin of lamb (herb crust divine) the peach tiramisu and the petit four platters at the end. All truly sumptuous, and amazingly beautiful. The accompanying wines included a selection of five - a champage to start followed by a chardonnay, a sauvingnon blanc, a cabernet sauvignon and a dessert wine. Although the selection was fantastic i dont think i would feel compelled to do this again. I felt it a little over priced.
The accomodation was fine - a fancy b n b to be fair. The rooms are designed in an unpretensous, simple country manner. I thought a couple of little touches would have been nice for the cost which was not overly cheap - perhaps some nice toileteries, a robe.
Moving on to breakfast - amazing again !!!!
A buffet of cereal, fruit salad, home baked breads and pastries, freshly squeezed juices, jams and preserves, cheese and meats platter but most impressive is the selection of home made yoghurts. Fantastic. From the menu we ordered Nevins special porridge and the I had the apricots. The porridge was sensational. To follow a full cooked breakfast and eggs benedict with smoked salmon. All truly superb.
Thank you to Nevin and his team was a wonderful experience

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ash09Ireland
Dublin
Reviewed 30 May 2010

there were four of us there for a birthday celebration. We had the tasting menu which was excellent. all courses were amazing. staff are excellent and not in your face. there is no snobbery about the place. i can't praise the food enough. no words will describe it. just book it and go! it'll be worth the wait.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Boyle, Co. Roscommon
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I've finally got to sign up for Tripadvisor & have a few reviews I've been meaning to post for a while. I am fully aware of how much we have relied on TA in the past so thought it was long overdue that I contribute something back.
Last December we took the trip up to Blacklion & wanting to savour the wine as well as the food we decided to stay the night. I would agree with some of the reviewers that the rooms for €140 per night are a bit steep in price for what you get & seeing as you are booked in for the restaurant I think a discount/better deal shoud apply.
We came down for drinks before the meal & took a leisurely look at the menu. We both remember feeling quite relaxed in this cosy little environment. The attentiveness of the staff was efficient & familiar in an old Irish 'Cead Mile Failte way' that is so lacking in this country right now. The meal was simply one of the best I had had in a long time. It was my birthday so I didn't want to be disappointed. My wife had the goats cheese & beetroot to start & the Lamb medium rare for her main, both bursting with flavour, beautifully presented & I had the rabbit to start & fillet beef medium rare for main, both cooked to perfection & washed down beautifully with a fine Rasteau. Desserts were always Neven's strongpoint but I'd say his skills are roundly evened out accross the courses. Two extremely good puddings, exactly what was needed on a cold frosty night, 2 dessert wines & 2 after dinner brandies completed a little bit of heaven for me on my birthday, heaven at a bit of a price (for my wife!). Oh and breakfast was just as good!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaithiMor
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I had made my booking in November and so was really looking forward to this trip. The accomodation itself is fine; our room was a decent size, nicely decorated (the €70 per person per night is probably a little steep though) but we were really only there for the food.

Overall the food was good (not excellent like I was expecting). I ordered the beef for my main course and the fillet part was just not up to the standard I was expecting from Neven; it was a little tough and was overcooked (My girlfriend had the lamb which was cooked perfectly). The desserts were amazing though and almost made up for my disappointment with my main course.Breakfast the next morning was really good and was very well done.

All in all, a very enjoyable experience, but we didn't feel the food was good enough to warrant Michelin star prices. All in all my girlfriend and I spend €380 on the overnight with dinner and wine - for that price I would rather go to Belfast and eat at Dean's.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DaithiDathuil
Ireland
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Went there with my extended family to celebrate a birthday. We were really looking forward to the experience. The room I had was very small and did not have a wardrobe or drawers, just a hanging rail, but was immaculate. The staff were professional but not over friendly. The food was lovely but not as fantastic as we were expecting. Do not go for the sweet potato soup as it is very bland. The staff explained what everything was on the plate, which was good because there was so much detail on the menu (you'd never remember everything). There was no top of coffee after dinner. Breakfast was lovely. 140 Euro each (70 for meal and 70 for B&B) was too expensive for our experience. It was "nice" but not the memorable experience that my family and I were hoping for.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Shadowy_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacklion
Lough Erne Resort
The Enniskillen Hotel
#6 of 7 in Enniskillen
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Customs House Country Inn

Been to MacNean House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!