“superb culinary experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blacklion
MacNean House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blacklion
Reviewed 26 February 2011

A special treat that lives up to expectations. The dinner and breakfast were simply delicious and the attention to detail was spot on. The only difficulty was that the room we were in (No.10) looked out on the noisy street. Despite this we slept well in the comfortable bed. Cheers

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alivealiveo

Reviewed 12 December 2010

We had a small family gathering to celebrate our wedding in July this year. MacNean staff helped organise and host our event including use of a local 18th Century Rectory House which accommodated a large portion of our guests.

The food (reception, dinner + breakfast) was very good, the accommodation was top class, the wines etc were excellent quality and as mentioned a number of times now the Mac Nean team were fantastic. All the MacNean team from office to front house were exceptional and assisted in giving us a day to remember.

I do believe allot of establishments forget the importance of service and how much it contributes to the overall experience. This does not seem to be the case at MacNean where all the staff seem to take pride in their work and give a great overall family type feeling.

I would not hesitate to recommend the MacNean to anyone and have done to many friends and family and all have reverted with the same comments after visiting. I don’t have a bad word to say… first rate establishment!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Shabba_Rambo_X
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I stayed in McNean House with my partner in November 2010. I would guess almost everybody who stays at McNean House is doing so either before or after eating at Neven Maguire's restaurant, so it would be remiss of me not to mention the food. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but the food was superb. It's not cheap and not many people could afford to eat there regularly, but as an occasional treat it's well worth it. The attention to detail and imagination that goes into the preparation and serving of the food is second to none. It left me wondering why the restaurant hasn't been awarded a Michelin Star. I suppose such things are beyond the ken of us mortals!

Anyway, the room we stayed in was fine, reasonably sized and spotlessly clean. As someone else mentioned below, the bathroom was small and a little cold but heated up once the shower was turned on. The jar of homemade cookies left in the room is a lovely touch. The only minor gripe I could come up with was that the television was small and basic but I don't think many people are going to be upset over the size of the television!

Away from the room, McNean house itself is immaculately decorated and gleaming. The bar area is small but charming and the staff are among the best trained, polite and friendly that I have ever encountered. We did feel that the lack of a car park was a slight downside and we had to park outside on the street, but Blacklion is very quiet so we got parking right outside the building.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending McNean House for when you want to treat yourself to a fabulous meal and a great slice of a Irish hospitality.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NaevusIreland
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Given that we'd been waiting for quite a while for our trip to Macnean's, we'd built up really high expectations. The restaurant and bar areas are really lovely; there was great heat coming from the fire and we liked the relaxed ambience and the attentive and very friendly staff. The food was, as we'd heard, out of this world. I couldn't fault any of it. The waiting staff were all lovely and friendly bar one who was a little bit sharp (it could be hard to hear the explanations of what things were at times given that the restaurant was busy, buzzy and the tables are close enough together). When we asked one waitress to repeat what she'd said about the pre-dessert, she responded "it's like white chocolate mousse", whereas we wanted to hear what she'd said the first time which was an explanation of what it was rather than what it was similar too. Breakfast the next morning was lovely too and again the waiting staff were lovely, a credit to themselves and the proprietors.

The only negatives for us were the bathroom - there was no heater in it so it was absolutely freezing and the fact that the piano music from the bar area could be heard in our room til nearly 3am (my husband went down in the end to ask that it be turned off) and which started again at around 8am the next morning. It didn't result in a great night's sleep. But aside from that, I really couldn't praise the food, staff and ambience highly enough.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 19 October 2010

This place blew me away. The staff, the food, the owners. I can't rate this place highly enough.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We went to the restaurant recently and we were massively impressed by the welcome, the room the food and the breakfast!! What more can I say, we are already looking to try and book again next year!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We stayed and ate in MacNean's house and restaurant on Friday 20th August. It was one of the best dining experiences we ever had. We could not fault anything- the staff were very friendly and informative, the room and the interior of the restaurant were all tastefully decorated and I liked the artwork on all the walls - last but not least the food was amazing. The evening meal and wine was delicious and all the courses were served at the right intervals. The background music in the restaurant was suited to the atmosphere and the volume was just right - not too low or loud.
Even the breakfast the next morning was a dining experience. I had the porridge and it was so well presented that I even took a photo of it- it was almost like a work of art!
Nevin Maguire makes a point of meeting and chatting to everyone who visits the restaurant which is not a very common occurance amoungst alot of award winning chefs. He is very welcoming and down to earth and does not have the arrogance that certain well known chefs pocess! We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacklion
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
#2 of 7 in Enniskillen
Belmore Court Motel
Belmore Court Motel
#1 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to MacNean House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!