“Your staff are friendly, pleasant & helpful”
Review of 1904 Cafe - CLOSED

1904 Cafe
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 1904 Cafe. Mangonui. Open 8.30 Am. Licensed Cafe. Free wi-fi Kiwi Cafe Enjoy a stunningly beautiful panorama of Mangonui Harbour where the ambiance is soothing to the soul. Alternatively dine inside where it is warm and sunny in all weathers. Enjoy the historical Kauri building of 1904. Originally the Mangonui Telegraph and Postal Shop. We showcase our history with the Northwood Collection of Black & White Photography. Canvas's in our Gallery are available for sale at $300. Inc. Free delivery Nationwide. We offer a delicious range of pastries, sandwiches, quiches, sweet slices and cakes including our renowned Jam & Cinnamon Donuts, Custard Fingers s & Apple Strudel. All Day Breakfast & Lunch Menu plus Cabinet Fare & Daily Specials prepared by our Chefs. Our Mediterranean Platter is a favourite choice amongst our guests in the late afternoon. We support local growers and offer you quality artisan products from Northland. Our drinks menu caters for all ages & tastes. Our wine list highlights local vineyards at affordable prices. Families are very welcome. Well behaved family dogs are warmly received and watered.
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Checked in on menu earlier in the day & we were immediately remembered when we returned. The little caf is delightful & the food very good no one could fault the attention we received, my only gripe was that there was only one risotto left but I suppose as I won it in the heads or tails toss up that is not really a complaint! The pasta seemed equally good. I did not need breakfast next morning....

Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Hi this is Marianne of 1904 Cafe & Bar Mangonui. I thank you for taking the time to post your favourable review of my cafe. Our success is a team effort & I am enormously pleased to have Chef Livio with us to deliver on Friday & Saturday nights for our Italian: Wood Fired Pizza's, Pasta / Risotto plus Angus Sirloin Steak & NZ Lamb Rack. Mother's Day Specials so successful we will continue to offer mains at $12 & $15. Please do return & say hello - I enjoy meeting my guests.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

lovely setting ,friendly staff , makes you feel at home , great coffee and food
well worth coming to !

Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Maurice thank you & you are always very welcome. I will try & have my best table free for you always,
As much as I love meeting visitors to Mangonui with their very diverse & interesting lifestyles, I especially feel connected to & blessed when locals see 1904 as their cafe. Cool

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Service was poor! Had my baby In my hands and when I asked for a pie I was told to I can get my own as its self service..

silly enough my partner and kids returned to treat ourselves to pizzas at $18 each and to be honest not even my kids liked it!
Waste of money and value! Very poor food, service and atmosphere from owner also.
Do not recommend

1  Thank beemaree
Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Beemarie of Northland, this is Marianne of 1904 replying in response to your very serious and damaging review of 1904. In response to your being told to help yourself to a pie from a team member of 1904; I have spoken with all staff bar one, & all my guys & girls just know we do not do that to our guests. I have one young lady still to discuss with, she is mostly a sweet thing, but perhaps she may have sounded too casual to you. We try to get it right for each and every guest but we are not infallible & learn from criticism. Of interest & I am surmising you dined with us on Friday 2nd May; I spoke with a very nice lady that day who praised my staff for the attention & care given to herself & her children and who discussed with me how unhelpful another cafe in our town had been, telling her to just get her own stuff from the cabinets ?
With regard to your disappointment with our Pizza's / service and atmosphere: Very harsh!
We offer a warm & friendly welcome to all our guests and we all feel privileged to serve you. In the evenings outside in our courtyard (with a stunning view of Mangonui Harbour) we fire up our Wood Fired Pizza Oven, a cast iron outdoor fire and a huge circular Brazier. This week we are adding fairy lights. All outside tables have candles and flowers. In our very sweet dining room; we also have fresh flowers in Edwardian & Crystal vases & candles in silver wine goblets. We are scheduled to furbish in late July but in the meantime of much interest to many guests is our Art Collection of Heritage Canvas's from The Northwood Collection depicting the people and places of early last century. We collaborate with John Edmonds of The Northwood Collection and our canvas's are available for $300. with free delivery nationwide. This is the same price that John charges direct.
We also are very proud of our Waka Original Oil on Canvas by Ben Barrett, truly spectacular!
My guys are drilled to check on every table to ensure our food is satisfying expectations. I was not doing service myself last weekend at nights as actually I was exhausted and not my usual energetic self. My day starts at 4am, 7 days a week continuous since the season commenced full swing Boxing Day 2013. I do however offer a very humble & sincere apology if I offended.
If you would like to join my hard working team & show them how to do it better I would welcome the opportunity of working with you. With all due respect Marianne

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Ex coffee - lovely setting looking at the water ! Check this place out when you are next in the Far North.

Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Hi Paula, this is Marianne of 1904 Cafe, Mangonui. Thank you for taking the time to post a favourable review of 1904 on Trip Advisor. We try really hard to get it right and I am very pleased you liked us.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was always a great café, but after new ownership it took quite awhile for things to improve, from the coffee to the service, but thankfully that is the case now. The young staff are lovely and very friendly and may the good coffee and service continue.

Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Hi subee40 of Mangonui, this is Marianne of 1904 Cafe Mangonui. Thank you for letting us know you are enjoying your experience at our cafe. We strive to ensure we please with great coffee, food taste, presentation and pricing & of course exceptional service. Please come back often and do introduce yourself to me, I love getting to know my locals.