“Nice little cafe”
Review of 1904 Cafe - CLOSED

1904 Cafe
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 1904 Cafe. Mangonui. Open 8.30 Am. Licensed Cafe. Free wi-fi Kiwi Cafe Enjoy a stunningly beautiful panorama of Mangonui Harbour where the ambiance is soothing to the soul. Alternatively dine inside where it is warm and sunny in all weathers. Enjoy the historical Kauri building of 1904. Originally the Mangonui Telegraph and Postal Shop. We showcase our history with the Northwood Collection of Black & White Photography. Canvas's in our Gallery are available for sale at $300. Inc. Free delivery Nationwide. We offer a delicious range of pastries, sandwiches, quiches, sweet slices and cakes including our renowned Jam & Cinnamon Donuts, Custard Fingers s & Apple Strudel. All Day Breakfast & Lunch Menu plus Cabinet Fare & Daily Specials prepared by our Chefs. Our Mediterranean Platter is a favourite choice amongst our guests in the late afternoon. We support local growers and offer you quality artisan products from Northland. Our drinks menu caters for all ages & tastes. Our wine list highlights local vineyards at affordable prices. Families are very welcome. Well behaved family dogs are warmly received and watered.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice coffee, kids had pies and they were fresh and full of meat.
This cafe is in a nice spot and would go again

Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Oh so thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. And today I really needed to hear some good stuff. Every time a guest enters our cafe is an opportunity to offer a pleasant experience. Needless to say there a a lot of factors involved.
Im glad we made you feel welcome & yes our pies are good. We keep trying!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We went to Cafe 1904 for breakfast on Saturday 31st May. They were not extremely busy when we were there, the outside tables were all full but there was no one inside. We ordered 3 breakfasts and 3 coffees. The coffees came quick but was luke warm. We waited 40min for the breakfast, when it arrived my eggs were hard (I asked for sunny side up) and at this stage I needed another coffee. The next coffee was also luke warm.

1  Thank Ansie M
Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Ansie,
Reading your review is the worst possible start to my business day.
I am really concerned that you found us so lacking.
On a Friday & Saturday I have pretty big working days for an old girl of 55+ & hence I wasn't at work until 10.30 am Saturday morning after working a double day Friday.
Did we meet? I try hard to discreetly engage with all Diners to ensure customer satisfaction & to manage any situation that is not 100 % as it should be.
The Barista on duty Saturday morning is very talented, seriously the best I have ever known. I will discuss this with her with much concern. She is leaving us Friday.
Full tables outside equates to 30 + guests which does put pressure on my two boys in the Kitchen. This is no excuse however and I am sorry your eggs were hard.
My heart & soul is in my cafe.
In our 1st 3 months we had 6 chefs (seriously a revolving door). They lacked commitment, presentation like a dogs dinner & actually only two could even cook well. Through each and every challenge the rest of the team showed their mettle and with the help and support of the Mangonui Community we survived our very busy first summer season. Hence such a harsh review is so very upsetting. Did you find anything good about us at all?
We have had 38 reviews since 30 November 2013
34 Positive & now 4 Not So Good.
We are just a Kiwi Cafe by Day; Great coffee (99%) Home made baking plus offerings from local talent. We support our wonderful northland region & source the best local fresh product. Our fare is simple but fresh. We do our best with available resources. I have one Cook now committed to attending Culinary School for a 4 month full time course and a second cook inspired to attend part time at The Keri keri Culinary School. I find that awesome and exciting.
Ansie it would be much appreciated if you could find it in your heart to be a little forgiving & allow me the opportunity to satisfy and show you our best work. Please contact me direct on 021 2444 957. I cordially invite you and one guest to Dinner on a Friday or Saturday night - my treat. Chef Livio & his team provide Italian Cuisine: Wood-fired Pizza / Pasta / Risotto plus Angus Sirloin and NZ Lamb.
I look forward to hearing from you and have also messaged you direct with my apologies and my request for an opportunity to satisfy.
Kind regards Marianne

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I recently had lunch at 1904 café the Mediterranean platter was very enjoyable with a glass of Shipwreck Bay PCM local red wine. The service was prompt, friendly and I partially enjoyed sitting out side in the sunshine overlooking the magnificent Mangonui harbour with its absolutely breath taking views. Would highly recommend visiting this special café.

Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you Adeline and i am so pleased you enjoyed your cafe experience at 1904.
We 80 % exclusively promote the Northland region with regard to our wine selection and local products. This includes our Cabinet Food and I love that we offer baking from local boutique kitchens
such as Dilly Dally Orchards and The Little Cake Company. All items specify origin or made by 1904. We do bake on site including breads and also are delighted to offer Artisan Breads and Baking from Flower Power & Greg Flutey Breads.
Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor.
Regards from Marianne and the team.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The meal was superb, the coffee excellent along with the service. Have eaten there before and also have had food out of the cabinet and never faulted anything. Will definitely eat there again as will the friends who shared this meal. I cannot.agree with the review by Ralph F.
Go check for yourself. Well worth it!!

Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

A very big thank you. Please always come back & do introduce yourself.
1904 aims to be a kiwi cafe with a great vibe, consistently excellent coffee & food to please. We are not pretentious, but what we do, we do with love & best effort.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Coffee tasted like the ground coffee was sitting in the machine for a while- very bitter. The mince pie was one of the saltiest pies I have ever eaten. The area behind the cafe near the toilets was filthy. Needs a good scrub and possibly a refurb. No eye for detail in cleanliness. Quite disappointing for such a good location. No surprises it was empty on a Saturday morning.... Had visited a couple of months back and heard the owner yelling at one of the service man who had come in for a repair job because he was late in front of customers... was disgustingly unprofessional... will not be going back.. Better cafes down the road or up the highway at the next couple of bays...

Marianne H, Owner at 1904 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Ralph,
My first response was to report your review as inappropriate for the following reasons:
Our coffee is consistently fantastic. Our regulars and visitors will vouch for that. I do wish you had mentioned and given us the opportunity to satisfy. The Barista on duty was our most talented and in 6 months she has received only very high praise.
The coffee photos highlight her talent with Latte Art.
The Mince Pie? This is our 1st complaint! Again, I have no opportunity to judge after the event.
Outside Area leading to Toilets: We purchased our Cafe 30th November 2013. The White Picket Fence and Trellis were erected to separate our Cafe Kitchen Garden and Staff Outside Area, the interior of the toilets has been repainted and new basins installed. The outside walls and window frames have been repainted. We are currently transforming the Boys Toilet into a Toilet plus Powder Room for the girls so that we may offer a level of pamper with good quality face cloths replacing the paper towels. I have purchased lead light mirrors and Edwardian Mirrors which are already hanging.
A Baby Change Table is provided fully equipped with Nappies & Accessories. Check it out on our pics.
The outside concrete floor area is a nightmare to keep clean and is scrubbed daily.
We are in the process of sourcing Black Mats to provide a permanent solution.
Empty on a Saturday morning? On the morning in Q, I was absent one hour to do pick ups of Staff and product from my favourite Taipa Market. I do so wish I had been there for you as I make a point of touching base with all guests. The remainder of the day was hugely busy with very happy guests including the Dinner Service where we are proud to have Chef Livio deliver authentic Italian Cuisine plus Prime Angus Sirloin & NZ Lamb.
Wow! Yelling at my service man. I don't do anger, it is a vey negative use of energy and I don't have any excess to spare. I do recall the day he worked on securing boards in our Front Courtyard. I certainly did not yell at him. I discreetly apologised to two tables who were frowning.
My builder and I have a pretty special relationship. On Mangonui Festival Day Glenn came to my rescue & assembled 2 outside BBQ's that had proved to complicated for my boys to achieve. His response to my SOS call was amazing, more so when he advised there would be no charge.
Later that day I enormously enjoyed taking one hour off to dance in the street with friendly strangers as Glenn played in his Band on the Grand Stage. Photo posted on our Trip Advisor Page.
Glenn would have liked to respond to your comments also, however as he is affiliated with 1904 he is prohibited from reviewing us.
It has been a challenging 6 months and we are really still so new. With the help and support of all the wonderful people in my Mangonui world we continue to do our very best.
Regards and best wishes - Marianne of 1904