“Expensive and thank you”

Sandwich Shoppe Chalong
Ranked #53 of 89 Restaurants in Chalong
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Description: Cozy, friendly American coffee and sandwich place, with leather chairs, good music, great coffee, and legendary Thai-style hospitality. World-renowned expat hangout, run by American "For Dummies" author Woody Leonhard (Google!). Gourmet sandwiches, made your way. American breakfast, all day. Fast, FREE WiFi 24 x 7. Real lemonade. Fresh fruit smoothies. Egg MAX Muffins. Fabulous cakes, cookies, brownies, bagels, quiches, granola and extraordinary American style goodies from Khun Woody's Bakery - Phuket's Best Boutique Bakery.
Phuket, Thailand
“Expensive and thank you”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

God am I sick of mayo splashed on instead of butter. Had the beef, not great. Gave the rest of my sandwich away. Way overpriced for the product. First and last visit, sooner have a meal instead!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Ralph M
KhunWoody, Namesake at Sandwich Shoppe Chalong, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Sorry you didn't like your sandwich! I've never had a beef sandwich with butter and no mayo - but you can easily order butter and no mayo on the order sheet. If the staff got your order wrong, let me know and I'll make sure it's set right.

I'm surprised you feel that $3 for a roast beef sandwich with all the fixin's is too much. I just spent a month in the US, and it was rare to find a good RB sandwich for less than $7 or $8.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Subway Killer! Gourmet sandwiches for 5 bucks.”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We came here with a craving for a sandwich and were delighted with what we found. A foolproof ordering system, super clean environment, and gourmet ingredients made Woody's a diamond in the rough.

I had a footlong tuna and bacon sandwich and it was phenomenal. The bacon was super thick and perfectly crispy.

The WiFi was fast and they have two computers to use if you didn't bring your own. We sat on plush comfy leather couches and sipped on fresh squeezed lemonade. PERFECTION!

We LOVE Woody's!

1 Thank Matthew K
Montreal, Canada
“Think this is my last time there”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I was dying for a good sandwich for brunch today. Since it is so difficult to find a decent sandwich in Phuket, I figured I couldn't go wrong at "Sandwich Shoppe"...right? Needless to say I ordered the roast beef sandwich on focaccia. Being a cook, I am judgemental when I eat out, but anyone who loves food usually is..Well the sandwich comes to the table, I look at the roast beef which is totally brown and dry looking. I know immediately that this is a no win situation. I take a small bite of just the meat, and it is rotten. I return the sandwich to the counter and very politely tell the staff in my broken thai that the roast beef is not good. She offers to change it to chicken, and I accept, knowing that they won't make me a totally new sandwich. But I eat the chicken sandwich and it is very mediocre. Just tomato cucumber and onion. Why can't people be more imaginative?? And by the way, I feel it is not really the fault of the Thai staff serving the food, because Thai people do not eat roast beef, so they don't know how it is supposed to taste, and when it has gone bad. This is why, the owner who I imagine is not Thai should be at his restaurants every day, or train his staff to know when the food is fresh, and when it is rotten. It seems another restaurant in Phuket is not concerned with getting their customers sick. So yes, I believe this will be my last time at Sandwich Shoppe.

• Visited July 2012
, Owner at Sandwich Shoppe Chalong, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
@jfor -

Very sorry to hear the roast beef was off. I'll check into it immediately.

I'm surprised about the chicken, though. While beef in Thailand is difficult to get just right, our chicken is marinated and grilled fresh each morning - and it's premium chicken, from a supplier we've used for years. It's possible that the staff didn't understand you wanted more garnish on your sandwich. I'll check into that, too.

Sorry you didn't have a good sandwich! I'm very proud of what we've put together. We bake our own bread - almost fifty employees now, between the bakery and the shops - and supply restaurants, hotels and coffee shops all over the island. We bring in top-notch ingredients from all over the world. But if we mess up, we mess up.

I hope you'll come back and try a different sandwich. Our best-sellers are Virginia ham and cheddar, and BLTs. We also make the best tuna sandwich I've ever had, anywhere, and I'm partial to sliced hard boiled eggs on toasted ciabatta. Oh, and the sesame bagel with lox and Philly.

If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to contact me: Woody at Khun Woody dot com.
Phuket, Thailand
“Expensive for what is it!”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The food here is quite nice, but very expensive! For half a ham and cheese roll it was 130 baht, I asked for no salad and it was still that price!

My boyfriend got the meat ball roll and was very sick after, he took one bite and started gagging, he said it was absolutely disgusting!

Its a shame because its lovely in there, the staff are very friendly and there is free WIFI to use!

Unfortunetly the 3 times I have went I got completely destroyed in mosquito bits, its a shame they don't spray some bug killer every half hour or so because no one wants to go for food and become a mosquito's dinner!

I doubt Ill go back unless they lower their prices!

• Visited April 2012
KhunWoody, Owner at Sandwich Shoppe Chalong, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Hi, Megan!

Sorry you had a bad experience at the shop.

It's true that our half-foot-long Virginia Ham and imported Cheddar Cheese sandwich is B 124 - we bake our own bread daily, and take a great deal of care with the handling of everything from the hand-sliced genuine Virginia ham to the hydroponic lettuce. We use only the best ingredients, including French's yellow mustard and Best Foods Real Mayo, and the very best imported Cheddar in Thailand, I think.

Another customer wrote to me about the mosquito problem, and we'll be putting in a commercial bug zapper shortly. I'm afraid I don't believe in spraying for mosquitoes, or using coils. But this commercial unit (although it's quite expensive) should be very good. No chemicals.

If you have any more comments or suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact me: Woody at Khun Woody dot com.
Phuket, Thailand
“Was much better before it moved”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I just experienced the 'new' Sandwich Shoppe in Chalong since it moved location last month (100 meters to the right in a newly built shopping area). Unfortunately the shop is significantly hotter, and even with 2 large aircons on full, we were sweating while eating our breakfast muffins today.

The room is smaller than the previous location and there is much less space between tables, making it harder to have private conversations and to not overhear other people's conversations.

There is a glass area for kids to play in, which is a good idea, but every time the door is opened (as kids come in and out) the screaming and shouting bounces straight out of the room and through the entire cafe (aided by the tiled floor) making the cafe clearly disturbing the atmosphere.

The noise of children playing combined with the noise of the coffee machines and blenders, combined with mobile phones going off and then everyone's conversations on top... all in all it is a very noisy and un-peaceful place.

The coffee is still great and muffins delicious, but the quality of atmosphere has definitely gone downhill (for me at least) since the move. : (

• Visited March 2012