“coaching and competition” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of We Freedive

We Freedive
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Sarah Whitcher and Richard Wonka, Freedivers, Instructors, Judges and founders of We Freedive. We Freedive is about giving freedivers Quality Freediving Education in a safe, productive and enjoyable environment. We Freedive is the only AIDA, Apnea International and PADI Freediver Instructor Training Centre world wide. We Freedive freediving courses and training for the absolute beginner all the way to a full-time professional level, as well as individual training packages to suit your personal requirements. We Freedive (Thailand) is based in Phuket, Thailand. Outside of Thailand, we run courses in Malaysia, Indonesia and throughout South East Asia. - If you are planning a training camp, let us know and we can train at your favourite site!
Stockholm, Sweden
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“coaching and competition”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I thought I knew something before I signed up with a just a "fun dive" (=you rent the infrastructure). Yet I didn't - I only had experience from pool freediving before.

Yet Richard accomodated me with coaching lesson and I booked a proper coaching session afterwards. Of the latter, I was initially little bit displeased that I was a part of three others and worried about of his focus. Anyway the session turned to be pleasant and educational nevertheless. However, if you want to be sure - check before how many others will join.

I ended up attending their "WeFreedive Suunto Thailand Series" (or such) competition series and was extremely impressed of Richard's and Sarah's professionalism.
I also did my personal best of dynamic with fins with 85m.
The only downside I can think is the area - the open water outside Chalong, Phuket, offers nothing to see expect deep blue.

Overall, the lady and the gentleman here are of the utmost professionalism and I believe the only ones as AIDA judges in South East Asia.
Richard's training method is friendly but frank - if you think you know better, I think you do not, so listen, take in and learn. I will definately visit them again when chance.

The only point "deducted" is for the location.

Thanks Richard and Sarah.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank lare

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Excellent freediving weekend with great instructor!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have started freediving with Richard and Sarah!! They are very friendly instructors and really focused on safety.

They offre me the opportunity to go beyond my limits.

I am really looking for coming backgammon in chalong to get my aida 3***!!

Thanks again
JP from KL

Visited April 2014
Chetwynd, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Enjoyable AIDA 2* course”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I had a very positive experience with Richard and his Phuket/Chalong shop. His passion and dedication to the sport shine through all aspects of the course and its delivery. My fellow coursemates and I (three total) had the added bonus of two instructor candidates alongside Richard.

From the beginning, a strong emphasis was placed on safety both during the pool and sea sessions. Richard's nationality is evident in the drills and exercises. He and his instructor candidates were professional, supportive, encouraging, approachable and engaging throughout.

Their rental masks were great. Low volume, good fit. I had to use regular fins as freediving fins aren't yet manufactured in small sizes. Bring a rashie if you have one, as they only have shortie wetsuits and the sun is relentless. your forehead and hands will get BBQ'd in the sun - not much you can do if you don't have a hood and gloves.

I stayed across the (busy) street at Phuket Art Home. It's very near and good value.

My only grievance was there was no shop-organized transport between the shop and the pier with the instructors carrying scary-looking loads on their motorbikes. A 40baht moto taxi fills in the gap - and leaves you fearing for your life.

Overall, VERY pleased with my experience and introduction to the sport. Would happily return for further courses and training!

2 Thank sheri_connolly
Ko Samui, Thailand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Don't Go there !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I did a 4 star and an IC with Richard Wonka
I've been practising freediving for 5 years now and I definitely not recommend to go there
it was a real nightmare ...
There are so many other places where you can learn and have fun at the same time
Just Don't go there ! ( except if you enjoy the army bootcamp style )

8 Thank anotheryear
richardwonka, Owner at We Freedive, responded to this review, 27 July 2015
Dear Sophie,

we do wish you had told us about your troubles in the daily feedback sessions or on one of the regular rest days that were part of your training schedule.

That your training would be challenging was clear when you wanted to book the most advanced of our courses in direct succession and there is no shame in not managing to achieve the required standards in such a relatively short time. - The AIDA Instructor certification you aspired to requires a very high skill level not only in your own diving, but also in the different aspects of teaching, so it is unfortunate that we were unable to issue a certification after your weeks of training with us.

We hope your training will succeed and wish you and your buddies good luck!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Freediving Experience, Excellent Instructors !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Richard and Sarah are very passionate freedivers and really cool to hang out with.

Immense knowledge on freediving, its physiology, techniques and ways to improve one's skills further. Richard was perspicuous while teaching allowing his students to grasp the subjects and techniques on freediving better.

I've trained with both Richard and Sarah in KL and in Phuket and enjoyed thoroughly the sessions in pool and open water. If anyone were to start freediving or improving to the next level, Richard and Sarah would be the best instructors one could be with. Quality freediving at its best.

Thanks Richard & Sarah. Look forward to see you guys again very soon :)

1 Thank NazmySalamat