“Training in sweat heaven!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Unit 27 Total Conditioning & CrossFit Gym
Ranked #3 of 43 things to do in Chalong
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Unit-27 is Thailand's leading specialist & purpose built S&C/Fitness Facility. Staffed with an Elite Team of instructors including British degree Qualified S&C coaches the quality of our sessions is high, the results effective, fast and above all safe. Fully quipped with high quality functional equipment including prowler tracks, Rig, Cargo Nets and indoor underground sprint track. Add to this air-conditioned cardio & spin rooms and much, much more. Then wrap it all up in a graffiti/urban vibe with pumping tunes ! We are also the only CrossFit affiliate in Phuket Thailand & operate under the official name "CrossFit Phuket". Instructor are all L1 & L2 qualified having conducted their training in Europe and Australia. Our on site organic, healthy and tasty Muscle Bar provide nutrition advice and personalised meal plans. All sessions are all high intensity orientated and include Strength and Conditioning, Yoga, Body Fit, Spinning, Crossfit, Free Weights. With Ice Baths & Sauna for your recovery needs, and an apparel shop selling cool gear, Unit-27 is a "one stop shop" for all your needs.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Hong Kong, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Training in sweat heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was my third time to train on Soi Ta Aed, Chalong. I was looking for a muay thai / boxing / conditioning training 'holiday' and had just paid for a month (out of 7 weeks) at the muay thai gym I had been to previously on the street. As I walked back to my hotel along the street, I came across Unit 27. It wasn't there last time I was in Phuket! Why oh why had I not seen this half an hour earlier! As I stopped and stared I became mesmerized by what I saw and heard:

.....about 20 sweaty people of all different shapes and sizes thrashing out a workout (rapid fire it turned out to be) giving it there all... the sounds of tyres being hammered, balls being slammed, feet pounding up the sprint track and sweat hitting the mats were music to my ears, not to mention the sounds of encouragement, praise and support from the trainers, as well as those being trained. The environment felt alive, pumping, electric.

I decided that THIS was where I belonged. Only now I had already paid at the other gym, I'd have to wait a month, training at the other gym and then I could spend my last three weeks at the Unit. And what an experience it was. I had a load of fun, trained hard and got results. I'd have to say the best thing about Unit 27 is not just their amazing facilities and equipment or the wealth of knowledge and experience each trainer has....it is the openness, friendliness and overall positive attitude that all the trainers and staff have. Their attitudes have created an environment that makes anyone feel welcome, whether you're just starting out on your fitness journey or an elite athlete.

Its been a couple of weeks since I left and I can not wait until my next holiday to return.

My biggest piece of advice to you.... do NOT book any training online until you've come to Chalong, to Soi Ta Aed and you've looked at all the gyms. I recommend training at all of - muay thai, boxing, strength and conditioning and CrossFit (well.... only Unit 27 has that anyway) and I can guarantee that you too will 'come home' to train at Unit 27.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Megzii83
Rob H, Owner at Unit 27 Total Conditioning & CrossFit Gym, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Hi there Megzii83 !

Thanks for the great review :-)

We even copied this one to our FB page as we believe that your advice is sound, ie come and check it all out before you spend any cash ..... its' all about you guys getting the best you can.

Glad that the team inspired you, they love what they do and that we feel that this is what makes The Unit that little bit special .... add to that our great clients and how could it go wrong ? :-)

Finally thanks for mentioning that we have every variety of person training at The Unit. We have a reputation for being Hardcore on the Soi ... & we don't mid at all, we're here to get you where you want to be and that means some sweat and maybe even tears ;-) But at the end of the day every session we do is achievable by anybody, its just down to how hard THEY want to go.

Go Hard or Go home ;-)

See you again soon we hope !

“Excellent facility with knowledgable staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was actually in chalong training Muay Thai in another gym on the street whilst Unit 27 was being built. We were actually part of the first ever group to train there.

After that first day I knew I had found the place I wanted to train for the next two months I was staying in Phuket.

Great place to use exclusively to train or to supplement your martial arts training whilst in Phuket. Definitely going back.

Visited December 2013
Rob H, Owner at Unit 27 Total Conditioning & CrossFit Gym, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Hi and thanks for the great review.

Really happy to hear from another one of the 'originals' ;-) We still hear from lots of the guys from back then, great period that we all enjoyed.

Looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon @ The Unit !

Cheers - Rob
Hong Kong, China
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Pushing you to your limits, and having fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I arrived for a week in Chalong, not really sure what to expect in terms of my week ahead.

I was more than pleasantly surprised to discover Unit 27, together with their friendly and knowledgable trainers, helpful staff, spotless facilities and quality equipment. A friend had been in town and recommended them - I'm glad she did.

As a single female, relatively new to weight based training, I found myself looking forward to every class at Unit 27, and yes, I actually even enjoyed the toughness of the classes! I was immediately drawn to the encouraging (and sometimes friendly competition) of the other participants, who always made me feel welcome, and importantly, helped push me further than I would ever go alone. I enjoyed being surrounded by like minded people - working hard to get the most from it, and then enjoy ourselves afterwards!

Each class type followed a similar format, but was totally different, so you never know what you'd be getting! Just that it would be tough enough to challenge everyone in the class, no matter their level.

The facilities are SO clean, and I really liked that they gave you a fresh face towel for each class - believe me, you need it! The space itself is a good size, the music system solid and the overall set-up great.

The only suggestion would be to add an evening yoga class a few times a week. Regardless, 100% recommend and I can't wait to go back!

Visited July 2014
Hi SydBJ,

firstly thanks for taking the time out of your day to write such a positive review, very much appreciated.

We love the fact that you understood the ethic of the gym .... that being that we will push you to YOUR limits .... but only if you let us .... and maybe we can make it a bit of fun along the way ;-)

We did try evening Yoga for a month or so in the higher season and unfortunately it had very few takers. If enough clients do request it at any one time then we would certainly look at having our instructor conduct Ad Hoc lessons as required / requested. Next time your in the Unit let us know and we'll see what can be spun up.

Cheers & thanks again - Rob
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent staff, facilities and training. You'll have fun and get results!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I trained at Unit 27 for four weeks in July and thoroughly recommend them as the best training gym on the Chalong strip.
All the staff are friendly and enthusiastic about the training they provide and each are well skilled in their own discipline.
The facilities are in excellent condition and cleaned after every class throughout the day - after being on the strip for a few days you'll realise how much of a pleasure it is to be in a spotless gym, as not all of them are.
The variety of training offered at Unit 27 also makes their weekly and monthly packages excellent value for money. I regularly did yoga in the morning with Note (which was a great day to start the day and stretch out sore muscles) followed by morning circuits with Sarah (whose unstoppable enthusiasm puts your morning into overdrive), and then a strength and conditioning session in the afternoon with Evan and Oh (these guys know what they are doing and ensure correct technique to prevent injuries and isolate targeted muscle groups). If you've got anything left there's also crossfit and spin classes in the evening. Not to mention access to the weights room, sauna and ice baths. It's the best equipped outfit on the strip.
The prices are also very very good. I selected the weekly packages which provided unlimited access for only 3500 baht; by comparison Tiger down the road charge over 4000 bath for a weekly package (be careful as Tiger quotes prices excluding tax) and don't provide nearly the same variety or quality of training.
While training at Unit 27 I also added a few private sessions of Muay Thai per week at Dragon Muay Thai (great staff and also recommended) but you could also do the same at Top Team.

If in doubt, don't book anything until you arrive. Try a few out when you get there and then book the long term packages. I'm sure you'll agree, Unit 27 delivers.

Enjoy it

Visited July 2014
Hi Kiwi,

another great review from another great client, thanks so much !

Agree with absolutely the best piece of information you could give to anyone coming to the Soi ......... don't book anything before arrival, shop around and pick what suits YOU best.

Good advice !

Cheers - Rob
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“If you want to get fit that's the place to go ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Unit 27 was for me the superior gym in the area. The fitness training was very professional, focused and different every day. The staff were evidently experienced and added great variety to their sessions. There was also a personal touch, they quickly get to know your name and make you feel welcome every time. The sessions were fun and enjoyable requiring maximum participation. It is extremely satisfying, even with the achy body, and all achieved with a smile on your face!!

Tiger gym was enjoyable, sociable and inclusive with some good sessions but it was not as focused as Unit 27. It was a bit of a sausage machine, I felt they are living of reputation. You will not be disappointed with Unit 27.

Rob H, Owner at Unit 27 Total Conditioning & CrossFit Gym, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hey Jolita,

good to see you are safe back in Dubai, and we hope you are looking flights back to Phuket :-)

Thanks for the excellent feedback, was awesome to have you with us training, we really enjoyed your positive attitude and commitment to the sessions.

Hope to see you again soon.

Best - Rob

P.S. It's more difficult not to remember the names of our clients with the level of personality and focus that they all tend to have, we are very lucky to work with people like yourself daily :-)