“Something out of the ordinary”
Review of Frewin House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ramelton
Frewin House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ramelton
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Dining to the light of 18 candles, beautiful food, wonderful service. Bedroom at least five star rating (linen sheets and crocheted pillow slips). And above all the warmth and kindness of the hosts made this an unforgettable stay.
Maybe the quality of the wine could be improved, guests would be very happy to pay appropriately.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MireiaSDublin

Reviewed 5 September 2011

I recently stayed at Frewin House. I've stayed there several times in the past and have come to look forward to returning there again and again. The house could not be lovelier and the location ideal for exploring this very special corner of Donegal. The decor of the house is incredibly tasteful and the rooms are filled with antiques and art which combine to make one feel at home and infinitely comfortable. Hard to leave the little sitting room, let alone the house. Regina's breakfasts are beyond description. Suffice to say my tummy was quite content throughout my stay. Regina, Thomas and their children make for charming and welcoming hosts and hostesses. I almost feel as though I'm returning to pay a visit to old friends every time I return to Ramelton and to Frewin. In short, I adore staying with the Coyles and cannot wait for my next visit which I hope will be much sooner than later.

Christina

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed one night in Frewin booked at the last minute. Like the last reviewer, we had the room that had a bathroom en suite and separate shower room down the hall. This would normally freak me out, but tbh it was no big deal. Bathrobes are provided and it meant my hubby could luxuriate in the rolltop whilst I showered! The bed was not the biggest but was perfectly comfy - I was 6 mths pregnant at the time so it must have been comfy if I slept ok! The little attached sitting area was lovely and made the room feel very large. Tea and cakes were provided when we arrived and Regina welcomed us like old friends into her home. Breakfast was good - a continental buffet and then a cooked to order hot breakfast. The library had a lovely wood fire burning in it which we sat and stared at before bed!! Our rate was €130 for the night which suggests the VAT reduction had been passed on. It's not the cheapest, granted, but if you want to stay in a 1980s bungalow for €80-€90 then don't stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Whilst we would agree that Regina is a very good host and the Breakfast was excellent on both days but I guess being Irish we looked at things in a different way. We didn’t see anything of particular historical, architectural or artistic interest in the house other then the fact that it was a large, old, former Rectory that contains a variety of old furniture, pictures, books etc. Our first impression was that we were arriving into someone’s house when they weren’t ready for us and whilst that is what some people like it is not what we expected. The Dining Room is nice, candle lit and meals are taken around one large table which was fine and as I say the food (breakfast) was great. There is a sitting room and a small cosy library with an open fireplace but we didn’t avail of these. Our bedroom at the rear of the house was a reasonable size with a small seating area. Furniture was basic, no television, only one bedside table and on en-suite with a large cast iron bath but no shower. A shower room exclusively for our room was available down the hall with an electric shower unit. The bed was what I felt to be the worst part, it looked homemade and it certainly felt homemade, the most uncomfortable bed I ever slept (or in this case didn’t sleep) in.
The location is good, the area is beautiful and the village of Remelton is lovely. Conway’s Pub is great, a “real” traditional pub and if OBama thought he had the perfect pint in Moneygall, he should have gone to Conway’s. We also dined at the Bridge Inn and had a lovely meal with very good service.
In conclusion I would sum it up like this. We had received a gift of vouchers valued at €300.00 for the “hidden houses” of Ireland and we were using them up. Had we not had those vouchers we would most likely have walked out of the house after arriving on the first day and whilst that might seem like a harsh criticism of Frewin House it is how we both felt. €140.00 per night was vastly overpriced given that we could have stopped in a Superior Room of an excellent four star hotel just down the road for slightly less and had all the perks that go with it. That is why we think it was “overrated and overpriced”.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the back bedroom
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alarmingjoe
Frewinhouse, Owner at Frewin House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

As written in the Hidden Ireland brochure: "Hidden Ireland houses are as far removed from a traditional hotel experience as could possibly be imagined. Your hosts are not employees and these houses are their homes, where they still live with their families".

Regarding the bed and lack of sleep, even though this is the first time that a problem has been highlighted about this bed, one complaint is one too many. We appreciate all our guests views and take them very seriously as in this case and to this end adjustments have been made. As stated, the private shower for this room is located close by on the landing due to the architecture of the house which is over 150 years old. There are purposely no televisions in the bedrooms but a television is always made available on request in the Library. We appreciate all comments made as our guests comfort is paramount.

After 13 years of sharing our home with guests thankfully the vast majority of our overseas and Irish visitors seem to have enjoyed Frewin.

Reviewed 7 May 2011

Just had a night at Frewin House. Brilliant from the moment we arrived. Greeted warmly by Regina and offered tea and cake. Rooms were beautiful. Very relaxing setting and loved the fire. Dinner by candlelight was great with lots of fresh vegetables and local fish. Sad to leave - could have stayed longer. Thanks Regina for a superb stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Regina and her family provided a lovely welcome in a house overflowing with character and charm. Our family had four bedrooms; each with their own fine interior design inclusive of white linen and lace. It would be hard to choose which room I preferred. The small touches enriched our stay: my elderly aunt had her hot water bottle filled, my teenager enjoyed playing cards in the library, the exquisitely presented breakfasts were eaten in palatial surroundings. We found it central for our visits to Glenveagh, Ards Friary, Doon Well and Glebe House. Ramelton itself has a great history and a good farmer's market on Sat mornings! We will return with our husbands to this lovely hidden retreat - it was a pleasure to find.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2011

One night is not long enough in this absolute gem. We were mesmerized by the house itself with it's beautiful decor, amazing book collection, interesting pieces of art and hidden little gems of detail everywhere you look.
Regina was an absolute star with interesting and animated conversation that you could listen to for hours.
The attention to detail with the tea and open fire in the library on arrival and the breakfast in the morning is done in the forgotten old fashioned manner with such consideration and care. We were made to feel very special.
Thank you Regina! We will be back again in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Eili22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramelton
Mulroy Woods Hotel
#1 of 3 in Downings
Downings Bay Hotel
Downings Bay Hotel
#3 of 3 in Downings

Been to Frewin House? Share your experiences!