“Perfect retreat”
Review of Frewin House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ramelton
Frewin House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ramelton
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Perfect retreat”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Regina's wonderful hospitality and delicious breakfasts ensured that our stay here topped most other B&B/country house hotel experiences. I would highly recommend Frewin to anyone seeking a cosy base from which to explore the delights of Ramelton and its surrounding environs.

Room Tip: Our room had an en suite bathroom with bath and a separate shower room across the landing. It also h...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KMKM2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My daughter and I stayed in the self catering cottage in the garden of Frewin House grounds. The owner was very friendly and informative. The cottage itself is, I think, a converted barn with bags of character and charm and a lot cheaper than the bed and breakfast (we did see the main house, which is equally beautiful). The cottage is equipped with everything you could need, apart from a washing machine, and dishwasher, but hand washing detergent is provided, if you need it . I took towels, but didn't need to as they were provided too. The cottage would be ideal for a couple or family of three( with a travelcot) as only one double bed in the bedroom. You pay extra for heating, hot water, electricity, but the owner didn't charge me as we used so little, which was kind of her.

The most important thing travellers need to know is that if you struggle with mobility at all, the cottage would not be suitable as the stairs to the bedroom are narrow and steep, which the owner warned me about before I booked. The bed is also quite raised, so much so that a step is provided to help less agile people climb on to it. Don't let that put you off though as once up, it's a very comfortable bed.

In terms of location, it's on the outskirts of Ramelton, about 15-20 min walk down a steepish hill to where the small town is, which has a fab pub and restaurant 'The Bridge Bar'. The food at the pub was excellent, reasonably priced (about £12-15 for a main) and large portions. A starter and side dish would be enough.

In terms of location, Ramelton is a good place to use as a base to explore Donegal from.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Our outstanding host, Regina, had the best room in the house ready for us upon arrival and a restaurant/pub, the Bridge Bar, lined up for our dinner. Because of the amazing room and the late arrival into Ramelton, we decided to sleep in and take breakfast at 0900 and since we were the only ones in that evening/morning it made it easier for our fantastic host. She serve a made-to-order breakfast complete with all the trimmings, coffee and hot tea. A perfect start to our busy day. Additionally, at my request she explained the extensive history of this former rectory and now home/ B&B. The house is filled with books spanning many topics and interests and as well had an eclectic collection of furnishings, art, and collectables. We talked for what seemed almost a half hour just about all the curios. Perfectly located in northern County Donegal. Plan to see the area of Ireland when you visit. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor room on the north side. It is complete with modern plumbing and a very cool s...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

All been said before. Very friendly hostess ,superb breakfast , lovely house very quirky and filled with all sorts of interesting things. Very comfortably situated at end of village. Some great pubs. We enjoyed the bridge view pub. Only reason it is not a five star for us is that the bed is a double ( of the old fashioned variety) and a bit smaller than is really comfortable.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pakiripost
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We spent a night in the cottage at Frewin House on 07/07/13. The cottage is a beautiful place to stay, it resembles a gate keepers cottage & is tucked away in behind the main house. It is a quaint little cottage with everything you would need for a self catering stay. The bedroom covers the entire upstairs floor & has possible the most comfortable bed in the world. The bed has a story all of its own but I will leave it for Regina to tell if you ever visit. Overall I can't recommend this place highly enough, we didn't spend much time in the main house but it did look very nice. Both the main house & the cottage have a impressive collection of books which is nice to see, & the cottage also has a lovely old piano. It's a 5/10 minute walk into town. McDaids Wine Bar is definitely worth a visit, there are a few other pubs but this place is a real gem. We will certainly be back to Frewin House in the near future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulMcStay-Belfast
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We had a wonderful night's stay at Frewin House. We were greeted by the lovely Regina on arrival who served us tea by the big open fire in the library which was just perfect to relax after the journey. We stayed in the beautifully adorned Glas room with its adjoining lounge and lovely views of the gardens and we were very comfortable. It's not a far walk to the centre of the town but Regina kindly dropped us in for dinner at The Bridge and we finished our evening with a glass too many of red wine in the Wine Bar with the gracious host James. Breakfast in the morning was a splendid affair with a huge spread of fruit, cereals, homemade breads and freshly squeezed orange juice followed by the full Irish. The house is tastefully decorated with great antiques and the warmth of the family flows throughout. Thank you :)

Room Tip: Glas is a lovely room :)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I just returned from a recent visit to Donegal. I travel frequently to this corner of the world as my grandmother came from the area outside of Letterkenny. When visiting, I always stay at Frewin and have now visited more times than I count. I've also recommended Frewin to my family so I'm pleased to report that the Coyles have played host to other various Cahill members throughout the years. Frewin has become a home away from home for us during these trips and I couldn't imagine traveling to this region without Frewin. Regina is like a long lost friend, always ready with a warm and familiar greeting. She and Thomas and their children could not be more gracious and welcoming, always. Above and beyond a generous welcome, Frewin offers an absolutely charming and inviting home, filled with wonderful furnishings, antiques, books and art. There is evidence that a real family lives, works and cares for this home and its history and the surrounding area. Having had many conversations with both Thomas and Regina over the years, I know that they are both firmly committed to treasuring and preserving the unique, the historic and the character filled Irish traditions that seem so elusive these days, whether in their home cooking, their care for their home and of course their genuine hospitality. I'm hard pressed to think of time better spent than sitting in Regina's library, sipping tea in front of the peet fire. The meals are out of this world. I'm literally still daydreaming about Regina's breakfast weeks later. If only I could awaken in NY with a similar fuel for my day. We also try to eat dinner at Frewin as often as possible. Another wonderful treat and the best way to spend an evening, post tea in the library and before climbing upstairs to a cozy Frewin bed. Having visited this area often, I can also report that Ramelton is an ideal base for touring the highlights of Donegal. Ramelton itself is a beautiful, well preserved and scenic town. Glenveigh National Park and Castle are close by, as is Derek Hills home, Glebe House. Both are worthy attractions, worth considerable time and many repeat visits. Again, Ramelton is the perfect base for touring and Frewin could not be a better home away from home when visiting. My sincere thanks to Thomas, Regina and their children. Looking forward to many more visits. Christina

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramelton
Castle Grove Country House Hotel
Dillons Hotel
Dillons Hotel
#3 of 12 in Letterkenny
Station House Hotel Letterkenny

Been to Frewin House? Share your experiences!