“Relaxing Break”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ballyliffin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Break”
Reviewed 30 March 2011

This was our 3rd time staying at Ballyliffen and this break was as enjoyable and realxing as the others. We booked the 2 night spa break which includes evening meal and is excellent value. before we arrived I contacted the hotel and asked for a room on the first floor with access to a balcony, room was lovely with great views.
Spa treatments were very relaxing, I booked a facial will book it again on our next stay. Food at the bar is good value pub grub with quick and friendly service and breakfast was very filling! No complaints at all about our stay and coudl not recommend this hotel enough for anyone wanting a relaxing break away for a few days. We will be staying again. This is a gem of a hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Belfast, N.Ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2011

This was our second time at Ballyliffin Lodge as part of a play & stay golf deal The hotel is very nice with pool and spa. This time the Hollybush Restaurant was unfortunately not open yet (opened the weekend after our stay) for evening meals which was a shame as the meals we had there previously were excellent; the Mamie Pat's bar food was a reasonable consolation. The golf courses are amazing and, overall, we had a fantastic stay. We'll be looking to book again in the near future.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
n ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2011

my best friend and I needed a break from the stresses of life and chose this hotel we have stayed here on 2 previous occassions and again we were not disappointed with the hotel its friendliness and the sense of relaxation the Spa and leisure facilities are very good and we definately had a restful 2 nites and the scenary from the hotel is fabulous and the local beach great for a walk no matter what the weather.
The ballyliffen golf club near by is a great links course and the lunch there was great I would reccommend the seafood chowder delicious.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Rooms are fine and big though the lack of a variety of condiments is suprising in a 4 star.

Food however is very poor I ate in the supposedly upmarket Holly tree restaurant, les routers etc. The meal was close to inediable the chick was massively overcooked, the veggies cooked beyond recognition. Not at all what I expected. Breakfast was the usual uninspiring Irish breakfast , with the various items " kept warm" little other choice.

This is a hotel very much struggling to stay still

• Stayed March 2011
Coleraine, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We travelled with our two young children hoping to escape for a couple of days quietness.............this hotel was absolutely perfect. From our welcoming entrance, the top quality rooms, beautiful views, splendid decor, quality spa and sublime food, we really had the best couple of days for a bargain price (in our opinion). I feel I should mention The Holly Tree Restaurant in particular as the food was incredible with service to match and prices that didn't - €74 for a family of four - totally blown away by the solitude and quality of the hotel....we will definitely be returning when we need a quiet break.....and we can't wait.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2011

The evening meal was not up to 4 star standard

Starters - potato skins- soggy
Main Meal - orderd well done steak - got pink
Main Meal -ordered chicken got luke warm meal and no sides
No Tea/Coffee offered

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2011

The room was mediocre at best. I was traveling by myself and you can really get a feeling about how a place operates by going solo. And being in the hospitality industry I expect a bit more from some where with a 4 star rating. This was supposed to be a treat for myself and it was a disaster!

Let me tell you about my food. I had the three course meal. The donegal fish chowder, the sea bass with bok choi and potatoes, and the crunchy munchy to finish.
The chowder was ok lacking seasoning and acid.
The main course the sea bass was like rubber way over cooked with no seasoning, I picked out 5 pin bones, and then a there was a ROCK that I bit down on!! (being a chef I can tell you this means they did NOT wash their bok choi!!) disgusting!! Dessert was ok just ice-cream.

I complained that I paid 95 euros to stay and eat ( package plus solo mark up) and that the food was awful!!! The manger only comped the solo mark up and not the entries stay!! Then I saw the chef say the ROCK was small!!! Unacceptable!!!

If they would handled the ordeal by offering me another nights stay for free or comped my entire 1 night stay ( drove 3 hrs out of my way to go here) I would not have written this review. Obviously hospitality escapes them!! And I will be sending out emails/ newsletters to the 80,000 alum from the Culinary Institute of America (which I am part of)!! Stating to avoid this place like the plague!!!

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank DMDein
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyliffin
Ballyliffin TownHouse
#1 of 4 in Buncrana
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!