“Excellent accommodation with great golf access”

Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ballyliffin
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I returned to the area and spent four nights, from Sunday to Thursday and played four rounds of golf at the two nearby courses at Ballyliffin Golf Club. The course is not much more than a kilometer or two from the hotel. The room provided was very good and the food in the pub and morning breakfast were excellent. I would say that my experience on a trip in 2009 and again in 2011 contributes to my interest in returning again to the area on my next golf trip to Ireland. The booking process online was straightforward and I received good email communication from the hotel when I was planning my trip to the area several months ago.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Golftrekker

Reviewed 28 June 2011

The service at the Ballyliffin lodge hotel was very good. The room was very clean and had the towels changed each day! The breakfast is very nice and meals in Mamie Pats Bar are very tasty. There is a variety of different foods and the staff were very attentive. The hotel is situated close to the beach and has beautiful views. The swimming pool and swimming facitlities are very good and enjoyable. The Jacuzzi and sauna are definatley areas to enjoy. overall it was a very enjoyable weekend and we will definatley back.

Room Tip: Room 208 has a good view and is very big!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irishblondie20
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Took advantage of a 2 night B&B break with 1 evening meal included. Although the lobby is welcoming (decor & staff) and our room was perfectly nice, the bathroom was disappointing. For example I expected fluffy towels and a few quality toiletries and maybe some nice biscuits to go with my tea & coffee.
The real disappointment came with the evening meal; I had curry which was basically just a large pot of coloured water with a couple of bits of chicken floating in it, it was pretty tasteless; the dessert was inedible, sickly sweet bits of bought confectionery shoved into a couple of dollops of ice cream and canned cream. We also tried the lasagne which was fine but uninspiring. Normally breakfast is my favourite meal when I'm away from home however the continental breakfast selection was extremely poor, no croissants or tasty breads, just boring toast and coffee that tasted like it came from a machine. The next morning I asked for Earl Grey tea but was told they didn't have any! I think the cooked breakfast was fine, but it was served buffet style which isn't what I would have expected in a 4 star hotel.
As for the spa ...... lovely pool and good gym, not very busy. If you book a treatment in the spa be prepared to wait a long time in a dark waiting area where the visibility is so poor you can't read the out of date magazines on offer. Check with the therapist before your treatment starts about what you are expecting; I booked a treatment but the therapist did a variation of it and cut out the bits I was most looking forward to, all without any explanation.

There is little or nothing to do in Ballyliffin and the hotel isn't as good as it looks on the web so I wouldn't recommend it unless you really like mediocre pub grub and intend to go out for evening meals.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank C0uldD0Better
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We booked to stay as a supervalue break for 2 nights bed & breakfast and 1 dinner. We were going for my 30th birthday. My husband stated this in the booking.

When we arrived, the hotel had upgraded us to a superior room with a balcony. The room was lovely and the view superb.

The next morning, I had booked into the spa. The spa is fantastic and the ladies that work there are great. My hubby went to the pool. Both of us observed our clean the changing facilities were. And very family friendly.

We ate in the bar both nights. The food was lovely and the portions were generous. The bar staff were very friendly.
The breakfast was the usual fayre, but very nice.

I can't wait to come back and would recommend the hotel.

It really made my 30th birthday one to remember.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank finlayargyle
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2011 - large v comfortable bedroom with fantastic views of the beach and surrounding countryside. Spacious bathroom, large bath, power shower - lots of hot water. Safe in room, plenty of hanging space. Would have liked ironing facilities in room.
Wonderful breakfasts. We didn't eat dinner in dining room so cannot comment, would recommend the aged rib eye steak on the bar menu. Very clean hotel.
Hotel is about 2 miles from Ballyliffin golf club - two world class links courses - we have played Ballybunion, Lahinch, Portrush and Rosapenna in last two years and Ballyliffin is right up there - if you have time for only one course suggest play Glashedy. Hotel guests get discounts off rates - we paid 50 euros each per round on each course.
Would we return to the hotel? Absolutely.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank openroad002
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I have always wanted to try this hotel and location as it looks so good on the website. I booked one night DBB in a superior room on Easter Monday. The hotel looks a bit jaded compared to the glossy brochure but we were lucky to be given the bridal suite, a huge modern room with fantastic views over Pollan strand and a powerful jacuzzi bath. We didn't need to use the spa as we had our own experience. Dinner in Mamie Pats was tasty as was breakfast the next morning. The town is nice and the beach spectacular. The one negative was having to wait for 20 minutes to get into the dining room for breakfast, as it is so small and the hotel was full. THey really need to find an alternative such as opening the bar area!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Stayed on a Supervalu getaway break - this was a first time for the hotel I believe. I booked 6 weeks in advance. On arrival at 2.15pm was told room wouldn't be ready until 3pm - no offer of a cup of tea. Checked in , having been told we could upgrade our dinner allowance (3 B&B and 1 evening meal) for 5Euro and dine in the restaurant. The meal was lovely and the service very good. Got to the room to discover it was a room with disabled facilities - i.e. no bath. Rang reception and was told the hotel was full and they couldn't help me. Room itself was comfortable and clean but there was a large enclosed box outside our window which droned constantly - turns out it was the fans for the kitchen.It was most unpleasant and very annoying and never ceased. Complained about this - couldn't help us. Breakfast was very busy but staff tried their best. Leisure facilities were ordinary - the jacuzzi seemed to be really to give up. There were no towels on the second day in the leisure centre so we had to go back upstairs for our room towels but reception gave us new ones later on. Facilities in the changing room were fine - good showers and hairdryers.
On check out, the receptionist asked if everything had been ok and I told her about our problems. I asked if the reason we were given such a bad room was because we were on a voucher and she said no and encouraged me to fill out a comment form. She assured me that the managers read them - well obviously they weren't too interested in mine as I haven't had a response and they have all my contact details - it's all a ploy - they aren't interested in feedback obviously. Well I don't think they will get the chance again because at the moment I feel that I wouldn't stay there again. Am still mystified how this hotel got 4 Stars?????

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 106
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank juselo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyliffin
Ballyliffin TownHouse
#1 of 4 in Buncrana
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!