“Sunday Lunch - Great Food but Service Lacked...well Service”

Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ballyliffin
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We haven't been to Ballyliffin in quite a while for Sunday Lunch and so decided to book the Ballyliffin Lodge as a lot of our family and friends had highly recommended the hotels Sunday Lunch offerings. On reflection of our experiences I thought I would leave a review to commend the chefs for their amazing food, but also to explain how the lack of customer service during our meal put a downer on the overall experience.

SERVICE
When we arrived we were shown to our seats but there was no drink order taken which was disappointing. We ordered drinks at the bar and the kind lady offered to bring them to the table for us which was great. After the starter our empty plates remained on the table and after the main course. My drink glass was empty before I began my main course and nobody offered me another drink, the perfect opportunity to up-sell me some drinks as I was thirsty!! There was a gentleman in the room who appeared to be the manager - who once we finished our desserts came over and swiftly cleared the table and run off into the kitchen. Working in Hospitality Management & Training myself, I could not understand why he would not even ask if we enjoyed our meal or even gesture a smile at us? It was not acceptable service. Not to mention the folding, unfolding and banging of table legs beside our table. The service just made us feel rushed and un-welcome which I am sure isn't the intention.

FOOD
The food was brilliant, of very high quality and also piping hot!! The choices were great, the meats and accompaniments were fabulous and the chefs and kitchen staff definitely saved the day!! The turkey and ham was among the best I have ever had. The service at the carvery and dessert area was great and the chefs/servers had great personality.

I suppose everyone/everywhere has their bad days but with so many places out their offering excellent food coupled with professional service I am afraid my experience would persuade me to find somewhere a bit closer to home next Sunday.

1  Thank Niall D
JoDoherty, Customer Care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind compliments on our food at our Sunday Carvery, we welcome all feedback from our customers but It is disappointing to read that the service let you down on your visit here. This is not the norm so I can only apologies that you received such poor service. I have passed your comments on to the food and beverage manager who will address with her team. I hope that you might reconsider and return to the lodge again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed here for one night and asked for a nice quiet room and was told no problem. On arrival we were given a 'nice' room up in the roof with a good view. On the bedside was complimentary ear plugs with two chocolates and a card telling us the hotel can be quite noisy at time which started alarm bells ringing. There was a wedding arriving in the afternoon and when we looked out our window we were looking down into the room were the wedding was. To cut a long story short at 12.30 in the morn I had to phone and ask wat time music ended at and was told by a porter there was nothing he could do and I should have been informed there was a wedding. The thumping noise of the disco went on to 2am and it wasn't the nice relaxing break in a nice quiet village we expected. Got up the next morn drained and only an apology. Our planned day of touring was ruined, so thank you Ballyliffin Lodge we wont be back. So beware if you think your lucky enough to get a late booking because it prob means that all the wedding guests are not staying and they have released their rooms. O, and not even a biscuit on the tea tray which I have got in 3 star hotels and this claims to be a 4 star. If your a big tea or coffee drinker then bring your own sugar and milk as they only provided for one cup each. So disappointed as I had been reading all the good reviews.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
JoDoherty, Customer Care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for posting your feeback on your recent stay with us. I am very sorry you did not enjoy your visit here with us. It’s an extremely busy week here in Clonmany with the festival and the holiday period. It is one of the busiest weeks in the year with weddings everyday here in the Lodge. As we are a small hotel noise travels easily and we inform all guests in advance when we have a wedding because of this reason, we also provide sleep kits for all guests with ear plugs to use if required. We do not provide biscuits in our guest rooms but additional supplies of tea/coffee could have been provided had we have known. A Room charge was taken off your bill as a gesture on departure also and I am sorry if you didn’t get to enjoy your day touring as Inishowen has many beautiful attractions. I hope you will come back to visit again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Our grown up children had given us a voucher for this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. That was in 2011! There was always a reason why we couldn't go. Work commitments, a dog who couldn't be left, too busy in Summer, local places of interest not open at other times. The reception staff were very accommodating in that they extended the voucher time and again. We were on first name terms after eighteen months.
Eventually we set a date and went for an Anniversary Special in the Spa. We arrived in good time, gave the dog a quick walk, and presented ourselves at Reception, from where we were directed downstairs to don a robe and slippers. We were then directed to a room where two massage couches were side by side. I was a bit nonplussed by this as we had had some very un-anniversary words on the journey up, and I had been looking forward to spending 90 minutes apart!
That was fine, so we were left to disrobe and get under our respective blankets on our beds, but my husband, being a fidget, got up again to explore the room. I explained that the girls would be back very soon, so he returned, but not before the delightful young ladies returned. "Sorry", he said, "We've just finished", by which he meant that we had divested ourselves of the robes, but I was very glad of the little face hole in the couch and managed to stifle my sniggers! What the girls thought of their late sixties clients I dread to think!
Anyway, we then had an hour and a half of the most relaxing massage and foot treatment ever, (and I've had lots). It was absolutely amazing, and the staff were so pleasant.
We didn't have an opportunity to eat, but I spoke to an American family who had and they were very vociferous in their praise of the staff, the service, the food and the price.
A great experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kiltie59

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review on the Rock Crystal Spa, It sounds as if you had an amazing experience in our spa. I’m sure the spa therapists will enjoy your comments! I will certainly be passing them on to the girls there. We hope you return again soon and perhaps enjoy a longer break with an overnight so you can enjoy the full Ballyliffin Lodge experience. Best Wishes from all the team.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

One of the best experience I have had in a long long time. The staff could not do enough for you. Pleasant, Courtesies, helpful. The food was delicious, the service second to none. I was there with my family at a family wedding. My grandson of eight months got tired so I had to leave the reception early just as the meal was about to start. To my surprise my meal was served to my room. Pipping hot and as I am gluten free the food was to die for. I certainly would highly recommend this hotel to everyone. It's also in a very beautiful part of Donegal. Very family friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Rosemary, thank you for you kind review of our hotel, weddings are a very important part of our business and each and everyone is given our full attention to detail in every aspect from service to the quality of our food. It is most rewarding when our efforts are recognized with the kind comments our guests provide. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best Regards from all the team at the Lodge.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were there for 2 days on the occassion of our son and daughter in laws wedding, had a fabulous time, the staff were more than helpful the food and service were excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel. Will definitely return to this hotel again.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to hear that your son and daughter in laws wedding went so well and that you all had a fabulous time here with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Best Wishes from all the team.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Just returned from two night stay at this hotel. Can't praise it high enough, had a beautiful, clean, spacious, well decorated room with a sea view. The food was totally delicious, the staff all round were exceptional, they were so friendly and helpful and I must say a special thanks to Colm who when he discovered I enjoyed their freshly baked walnut and raisin loaf so much ( definitely worth trying ) he arranged to have one baked for me on my departure. Thanks Colm it was delicious. Will definitely return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ballymena Evely... M
JoDoherty, Customer Care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely review, I am delighted with your comments and so glad to hear your had such an enjoyable stay with us recently. I will share all you fantastic comments with Colm and the rest of the team and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Best Regards

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Just home from 2 nights b&b with my mum and 3 kids. I can't get enough of the ballyliffin lodge, I just love it. Rooms so clean and spacious, staff unreal, they couldn't do enough for you. So so helpful. My kids enjoy every minute at the lodge, between the pool, playroom an park down at beach it's great. They are also many places to visit. But most of all the food, superb service in jacks bar (Emma) looked after us so well both nights. The standard of food is excellent. We will keep going as long as its open. When you find a hidden gem it's hard to change to something else.
Thanks aLso Lisa at reception for excellent customer service on phone before our visit.

2  Thank paulad671

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review on TripAdvisor, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us again this year. When the kids have a good time so do the parents and we are fortunate to have the kids facilities and the beach nearby to keep them entertained. I will pass on your comments to all the staff and we all look forward to welcoming your family back again soon. Best Wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyliffin
Redcastle Hotel
#1 of 4 in Buncrana
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!