“Perfection”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ballyliffin
Stoneham, Massachusetts
“Perfection”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The Ballyliffin Lodge is so warm and welcoming.
The rooms are lovely, spacious and immaculate.
The Hotel is situated in a stunningly beautiful part
of Inishowen with breathtaking scenery in every direction.
Dining in the restaurant is first class, and the breakfast
buffet in the morning was something special to begin your day.
Last , but not least, the staff couldn't have been nicer.
They do everything they can to make your stay special.
( Thank you Anthony B. and Michael D.).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
JoDoherty, Customer Care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Anthony and Michael, Thank you for your recent review on our hotel. Your kind comments on our staff and food are very much appreciated and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here with us. We look forward to welcoming you both back again soon, best regards from all the team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
London
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We were attending wedding reception at Ballyliffin Lodge and so we stayed there just for one night. We arrived very early and unfortunately couldn't check in until 3pm, which was quite uncomfortable as we had to get ready for the church ceremony at 1pm. But we were kindly told that we could use spa facilities, lockers and showers to get ready. And that was just fine, and I even managed to squeeze myself an appointment for a hair wash and blow-dry with the spa hair dresser :) We got ready and off we went to the church leaving our bags in the locker room and at the reception. When we were back our room was ready and I must say we did not expect it to be so great. Our room was big, with massive bed and even a kettle with tea's and coffee :) Bathroom was very clean, all that was missing was hairdryer, (maybe a tip?). We then went to the wedding reception held downstairs. Food we were served was lovely, staff were nice and friendly, drinks were great, only service behind the bar could have been quicker. We partied till 2am and so we were very happy that our bed was massive and comfortable, we even got some earplugs and chocks on the bedside tables :) We were able to extend our check out till 1pm next day and that was great. We had breakfast which was lovely, all you need and would like, full English, or choice of Belgian waffles, pancakes or salmon with eggs. Really great. We didn't have a chance to use the spa or swimming pool but it looked really good. Views from the lodge are magnificent and we wish we were staying there longer than just one night, But we decided for sure that we will be back! Enjoy :)

Room Tip: Room 207 very quiet :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to post your kind review, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us recently and thank you for your compliments on our bedrooms and staff, all our rooms have hairdryers, and they are located in the drawer on the dressing table so perhaps you missed it. I’m sorry you found the service in the bar to be slow; it may have been busy at the time with a large wedding. I hope you will return to the lodge again in the future. Best Regards from all the team.
Kells
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We just returned from a 2 night stay offer we got on Living Social. Easy to find, ample parking and friendly reception staff. The room was grand, huge bed that could easily sleep 3! All the basics, tea, coffee making facilities etc. We ate in the bar which was quick and bar staff were friendly. Availed of a couple of spa treatments and these were lovely. Spa staff friendly enough and dry flotation treatment recommended. My partner used the pool, sauna area and said it was lovely. Few wee niggly things though that could make this better and I am being picky considering what we paid for our two night stay. No biscuits in the room and the shower gel, hand wash, shampoo all mediocre and the same product. I had read this on TA beforehand so had packed my own. The hotel was very clean although when sat at the bar the dust on the pumps was quite noticeable - The room we stayed in was Room 126 and that night I was awoken by a loud droning noise - sounded like a helicopter hovering over the hotel but the next day we noticed machinery(looked like the air con unit) close to our window. This kept me awake most of the first night and my partner awake the second night so would avoid this room where possible. On checking out we weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay otherwise I would have reported re the room issue then. It was a different receptionist than on check in. This time of year is ideal as the hotel really did go over and above with the Christmas decorations - really tastefully done and added that special touch. View is second to none and the breakfast staff were grand with all the usual food on offer- no potato or soda farls in sight though. We took a trip to Malin Head one day and then drove to The Railway Tavern Firebox Grill about 30 mins away in Fanan for dinner one night which had been recommended to us and didn't disappoint. All in all a grand stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 102 - bring your own toiletries and biccies!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am delighted to hear that you were happy with your room and the service you received in Jacks Bar. I am really sorry that you were disturbed by the fan outside your window; I have passed on your comment to our maintenance team to investigate it. I appreciate all your constructive feedback on your recent stay which I can assure you we will take on board. I hope to welcome you back again in the future, best regards
Bangor co Down
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I spent a lovely 2 nights Sunday to Tuesday this is a fantastic place great food both in the Restaurant and Bar . Breakfast all you could ever want after a few good pints of Guinness the night before. We were very lucky and got an upgrade to one of the executive rooms really nice we have been to many good 5 star hotels on planet earth and this for a 4 star is right up there. My only concern would be noise not so much on a Sunday but the Lodge do have weddings every weekend so its quite loud not on a Sunday so bear that in mind having said the executive rooms are above the Bar area on Sunday we were in the Bar live music so no problem for us. Going to book for the new year for a break recommend the Ballyliffin Lodge Louise and all the staff are Excellent thanks, Kyle.

Room Tip: We had an executive room so lovely the other rooms i would think will be great to
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Kyle, Thank you for your lovely review on our hotel. I am delighted to hear yourself and your wife had an enjoyable time here recently. You were indeed lucky to stay in the best room in the hotel, it is certainly worth it. I appreciate your comments on the noise, we are a busy wedding venue with music each weekend in the bar also, during the week is usually the best time for a quiet break with us but I am glad you enjoyed the entertainment. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Best Regards from all the team.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I recently stayed at this erroneously rated 4 star hotel. Our room was effectively in the attic as the windows were at least 1.8 meters over the floor which has its disadvantages. The room was cold as the heating was off at 12.30pm which is expected. We request the heat be turned on and was told it would. As it did not come on we resorted to the hair dryer to take the chill out of the room. Effective.
We returned later that evening for dinner.
The dining room was tastefully decorated and the staff nice. I ordered Cesar salad followed by turkey & ham, while my partner had soup and Salmon. The salad was without doubt the worst I have ever had, while the remainder was tasty. The serving staff need service training as all dishes were effectively shoved/ dropped on the table. The reception staff were helpful & friendly.

Room Tip: Avoid attic rooms. Rooms to the front have amazingly stunning views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
JoDoherty, Customer Care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review. We currently have plans to renovate our attic rooms in January when we will close the hotel for one week to carry out these renovations and I am sorry you were not happy with this room. Our heating is controlled by timers and while the heat is off it can be turned on at anytime if a guest requests , as you checked in early our heat was not on as it is timed to come on before the 3pm check in time. I believe it was the wedding you attended last weekend that you are referring too and it is so disappointing to receive this feedback on our food and service as the comments we get from our guests are always so complimentary. I will certainly be investigating this with our head chef and service team as I can assure you this is far from the normal standards we provide here at the lodge. Your feedback is very much appreciated and I hope this does not deter you from visiting us again. Best Regards
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Got a great deal on a mid-week break here and was very impressed, it was certainly value for money. The breakfasts were lovely, the dinners very nice and well priced, and the staff were very friendly and approachable. Our room was extremely spacious and quiet. We took advantage of the swimming pool and the spa on site and booked a pick and mix treatment which we were very pleased with (the massages were fantastic).

Overall we were very impressed by the hotel and would very much recommend it to others, although I can understand that if there is a wedding or some function going on downstairs the noise may travel. Maybe the management should try to soundproof the function room?

Would definitely go back again for a mid-week break.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your lovely review on your recent midweek break with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your kind comments on our staff and food. Your recommendations are very much appreciated. Your comments on our function room will be passed onto our management team.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Londonderry
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Having arrived at the hotel in the hope of a relaxing getaway to recharge after a busy week initial appearances were good - the reception and rooms were lovely but it became apparent there are major issues with the hotel.
As previously mentioned there are no individual toiletries, just a pump soap dispenser on the wall - regardless of justification on the basis of being green, it is not up to scratch for a 4* hotel to not even provide conditioner for guests.
But the major problem, as raised multiple times on this page, is the noise. It was totally horrendous, despite being on the second floor we could hear everything from the wedding speeches to the music, which went on the majority of the night. I got no sleep. Again I have read the attempts to justify this by management, but given that they are so aware of the problem that they supply earplugs, but have failed to do anything definitive about it, suggests they are not terribly interested in customer care or opinion. And the earplugs were of no help whatsoever anyway.
I have stayed in many busy, city centre hotels that have been much quieter. It is not acceptable to be expected to put foreign bodies into your ears in a 4* hotel - it is ridiculous. I would suggest that the management direct their time and resources into finding a solution rather than arguing that it is acceptable.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay. We are a gold star accredited green hospitality hotel and reducing waste is very important to us. We provide our guests with the same product but in a more environmentally friendly container which complies with the four star standards set out by Failte Ireland. As we are only a small hotel, noise does travel I’m afraid and over the years we have done our best to try and reduce the noise levels by adding noise reducers to our sound equipment and adding complimentary sleep kits with ear plugs as an aid if guests are unable to sleep. We also inform guests in our confirmation letters when we have any functions in the hotel so that they are made aware in advance. I am really sorry that your stay was not the relaxing break you had expected; midweek is a quieter time in our hotel as weekends are always busy here in the lodge. Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyliffin
Ballyliffin TownHouse