“Prince hotel”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mrauk U
portland
“Prince hotel”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The Prince Hotel is getting old and need of basic updating in plumbing and sealing cracks and holes in walls. My bed was clean. The owners are nice and made hot water for coffee at 5:30am so I could go on my daily run. Breakfast amongst other items had great fruits. Though I did not go on a guided trip through them, depending on who you get for your guide, you may want to rethink days trips. You want a guide with knowledge of other cultures. You can rent bikes, highly recommended, and do your own poking around, which I did. The bikes even work on rocky bumpy roads.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Just for context: Myanmar is a country which has low supply of good quality accommodation, so you get way less with the same money compared to other countries in South East Asia.

That being said, you get even way less in Mrauk - U. And this is the reality with Prince Hotel.

You might think, USD 25 is cheap so you cannot expect much. In remote areas in Thailand, for example, you get a spanking new room with bath WITH AC for even less money.

Prince Hotel's rooms look like a dump, the window screens have holes (so be prepared to be bitten by mosquitoes all night), the mosquito nets over the beds have holes too, and it seems like an abandoned building from the war era.

The mattress is so old, you can feel "potholes" when you lie down. The beddings and towels have stains. And the towels smell big time. I don't know how they wash them and I do not want to know.

The food is horrible. I love fried rice and can usually appreciate any form of it. They lather so much butter in it that the oil drips. The chicken they mix with it is not fresh at all. The other nights, we ate at Moi Cherry which is way better.

That being said, service is really good. The owners do put a lot of effort into it so the stay is emotionally pleasant. However, that cannot mask the physical ugliness of the whole place.

I do not know what the fuss is about the long table.

I guess because I was born and I live in Asia, I am not fascinated with the rustic and rundown environment of the hotel. And I also am aware that USD 25 can buy you a lot in this part of the world. So it is not necessarily "cheap".

I hope that Mrauk-U will have better quality accommodations (apart from the overpriced USD 250) Princess Hotel so that travelers can find something with far better value for money.

Room Tip: All are the same
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bankergirl1016
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

the room really need a big refreshing but in a hotel you can't just wait to get a top room in Mrauk.
The food on evening was excellent, the staff was as well really excellent.
we take a tour with them to visit the Chin village 80$ and a day tour with a jeep for 25$.
The guide for the visit of the chin village was really good and do a good job with comunicate with the people.....

Room Tip: take a jeep for a day tour! great value
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank James w
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Staying at Prince really made my Burma trip a lot more fun! One reason: the long dining table. We met so many cool people at that table that, for many mornings, we ended up staying and talking after breakfast until almost 1 PM! We don’t typically interact with a lot of other travelers, so it was a treat.

The staff is super, but particularly a young man whose name unfortunately escapes me at the moment (you’ll know him… he’s 14, super smart and peppy and funny!) The 2 dogs on site are a treat; the male dog is one of the happiest dogs I’ve ever seen!

The food is fantastic; the eggplant (aubergine) dish they serve every night is just unreal. The mohinga in the a.m. is not fishy at all (more of a dal with rice noodles), and if you want to get crazy, dip your banana pancakes in the sweetened condensed milk! And lest we forget the "mini" potatoes...

We stayed in a big room, and it was quite nice. There was a mosquito net but we didn’t bother using it once the 6 nights we were there, and we didn’t get bit. Hot water can be iffy, but a cold shower in the middle of the day will do you good. (Hot water does exist, but it’s a bit sporadic & fleeting).

It’s a decent location, quiet and a bit removed from town. Bike rental from the hotel is running $2/day and will get you everywhere you need to go around Mrauk U, more or less.

If you NEED to check in to real life, there's a place in town with some of the slowest internet this side of 1995, but someone from the guesthouse can show you were it is (you probably won't be able to find it yourself, trust me).

Staying at Prince will make your Mrauk U experience SO much more well-rounded, getting to compare notes with other like-minded travelers over some amazing dinners.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QiDoctor
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The rooms here are nothing fancy and a little old--though the suites are quite large, the regular rooms are a little small. It’s totally recommendable especially because of the wonderful staff that manage the hotel/restaurant. The owner is very nice as well. The food at the restaurant is FANTASTIC! It’s served at a large table where all the guests sit and converse--it’s a wonderful place to meet other guests. The location is a little out of town and the temples, but the affordable bike-rentals are a nice option. For breakfast, get the mohinga and for dinner be sure to get the prawns at least one time.

I wish I could remember the name of the young man that took SUCH great care of us at the restaurant (14 years old). He was SO funny and SO nice. An absolute joy. He didn't have email but I hope he keeps in touch with us years down the road. Seriously one of the most memorable people I've met on my travels (although I have forgotten his name LOL).

AND the two dogs are great--brother and sister. The brother has some mange and I hope he gets medicated for it as he is SUCH a nice/happy dog (we nick-named him "Happy") and the sister is super sweet as well. They are good dogs to have around the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BJ G
Reviewed 26 January 2014

It is one of the cheapest place we have been in Myanmar, also the worst in matters of room quality, seems not finished, you get white cloth after touching the walls, toilet water tank falling, apart, bathroom tiles in bad condition, hardly no hot water, but as clean as possible. An effort could be done to improve all of this very easily.

It is ideally located, fairly close to town and to all the interesting temples, and also not on a major road, at night it is nice and calm.

In matter of friendliness, and kitchen matter we loved it. It’s our “coup de Coeur” When we arrived, tea was served as well as excellent small bananas.

The cuisine, excellent typical Burmese meals, great fish and all the various vegetables served were great and tasty. Service done by the kid’s was very friendly, served on a big long table inviting us to meet the other guests and share tips of our trip. Breakfast was also very good, banana pancakes, eggs, mohinga soup succulent, well a great place where to eat.

The local guide offer boat trips to the Chin village, full day trip for 80$ 1 to 3 persons, seems a lot, but we enjoyed it. Check the trip path on google maps there http://www.a-trip.com/tracks/view/146134

Room Tip: It does not worth taking the junior room...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank schna
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We really enjoy our stay There. The area is quiet, room are spacious and clean. Hot water.
You can take your diner there.
A lot of people came from outside to have breakfast or diner at Prince GH.
Staff is very friendly and helpful.
They can organize local tip for you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 18 in Ngapali
Mrauk U Palace Resort
Mrauk U Palace Resort
#4 of 10 in Mrauk U

Been to Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!