“Can't say I enjoyed my time at Cooney's Hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cooneys Hotel

Cooneys Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballymahon
dublin
“Can't say I enjoyed my time at Cooney's Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed in cooney's on main st ballymahon on the 21-4-2012. I found no problem with the staff very polite. It was the amount of noise from the nightclub and the shouting on the streets afterwards. I felt like calling the police as the amount of children (under 18) who were very drunk who had either brought in their own drink or were served in the nightclub ran riot outside. I am not a light sleeper but the constant drum beat from the music kept me awake. the room was very warm so i opened a window that is now i heard the shouting and roaring. Will not be staying again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank pat h
Stephen C, General Manager at Cooneys Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Pat H,

The nightclub is no longer in operation

Kind Regards,
Michael Cooney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

On my travels, I stopped at this hotel for lunch. This place is spotless, Bathrooms are sparkling. On arrival i was promptly offered the menu by a friendly waitress,I ordered Battered Whiting. Food was piping hot, and the fish was delicious.As for dessert I sampled the baileys trifle,recommended by the waitress, Presentation wasnt the best,but it was lovely with lots of cream.I would recommend this Hotel highly, Lovely homely feel and atmosphere.Staff are lovely and pleasent and helpful I may add.I've travelled most of the country and there's very few places like this,i asked the waitress did she know off any hotels in the area i was travelling to,before leaving she had them printed offfor me.Will definitily stop again, to this lovely hidden gem in the midlands.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank John H
Stephen C, General Manager at Cooneys Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear John H,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit to us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Stephen Cooney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stopped here on the way back from a pony hunt in Glasson today (19-03-12) with my wife and young son as we're ravenous and this place was recommended by a friend. Got our menus and sat down in a nice corner of the nice bar. Staff were friendly and we asked for a high chair for our son. Now there were about 5 or 6 staff on duty yet a high chair took over 10 mins to get even though nobody was particularly busy. Our order was taken and 15 mins later it came. My wife ordered Cod and chips and I the Burger. Food looked great. The chips were cold, the fish had just been about cooked and no more and was like a watery mess inside the batter like it was frozen and just flashed in the deep fat fryer The burger was completely raw inside which I wouldn't have minded had it not been cold also. Obviously the chef does not know how to cook never mind know that a burger should be 155 degrees in order to kill any bacteria in ground beef. So my wife went to pick up our daughter from the hunt whilst I re-ordered chicken fajitas. Whilst I waited the server gave me another watery warm diet coke and proceeded around the corner to the other servers and their friends for what seemed like their 10th chat. My fajitas were alright and we're accompanied by another bowl of luke warm chips. I ate nearly all the fajitas as I was so hungry. Bill was 34. Not as much as a sorry for the inconvenience or lack of any service whatsoever. While eating the fajitas, without enough cutlery(another thing they missed) a couple came in and waited 15 mins to have their order taken eventually having to disturb one of the servers from her chats to order his food. Disgraceful service and standards from a place that would be better served by sending the lazy servers home and keeping one or two of them to work the room by themselves which they would be able to do comfortably and they might even be able to keep focused on their customers. Honestly don't waste your money here, go to athlone and goto grogans.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank sureshot78
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed. Overnight in this hotel for a family party. The staff were extraordinarily friendly with each one going out of their way to be helpful. This kind of hospitality is really what some of the bigger hotels can fall down on . The room was clean and very spacious .breakfast the next morning was the traditional fry up,from an extensive menu,and prepared freshly,with gorgeous brown bread. All the staff appeared to know we had a late night and were appropriately sympathetic without being intrusive ! Would definitely stay here again if in the area

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Stephen C, Owner at Cooneys Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Tessie74,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Monaghan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stopped off here on our long drive home. A group of 22 of us descended on them without any prior notice and they coped extremely well.
Among our group we had chicken kiev, chicken curry, lasagne, chicken maryland, beef burger and fish and chips. Food was excellent. Extremely tasty, pipping hot and delicious. Children were served first and had a normal children's sized portion. My daughter ate every bit of hers which is a great sign.
For 4 adults and 1 child, it was good value for money as we had starters also. It only cost €68. I will definitely be stopping here again, if it is on my route.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank pobrien2009
Stephen C, Owner at Cooneys Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Pobrien2009,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review. We are delighted your group enjoyed their dining experience in the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again.

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Please bear in mind the hotel has its own nightclub so it can get noisy at nightime.
However the hotel does not have the appearance of having a nightclub, it is classy and ever so clean so please do not let that put you off. Food is first class and plentiful.
Ballymahon is a welcoming local town, it is not especially scenic - but truly Irish in character and charm, nestled amongst glorious green fields and rivers.There are lots of places to go in the surrounding area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank murphy17Uk
Dear Murphy17uk,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. When there is a function on in the nightclub people are advised of this when making their reservations. We always try to accommodate a guests preference to be located in the bedrooms furthest away from the nightclub.

Stephen Cooney
Mullingar, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

This was my second time to visit, and did so because my memory of the bar food last time was pretty good. But this was Tuesday evening around 8pm and whilst the barman and waitress were lovely, the food wasnt worth €5 never mind the inflated €15 or so a head we paid for "fish" and chips and lasagne. It was unedible. It seemed like it was frozen microwaved food at its worse. The Guinness I had was fine. Overall, the lounge is nice, but never again would I have food there. (in fairness the waitress asked if we wanted desserts "as the chef was leaving soon")........,so maybe he was in a rush to produce my fish n mushy peas!

Room Tip: No experience of rooms