“Nice place!”

The Johnstown Estate Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Enfield
“Nice place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012 via mobile

Can't comment on the hotel rooms, as I didn't stay over.
I Accompanied a friend of mine to the spa one afternoon recently. The website offered great deals, one particularly of note was a daily special, different treatment for every day of the week, each costing €50. I was very impressed by a very chirpy girl at end of phone who phoned me a couple of days before we were due in order to confirm the booking.

We arrived early so went for lunch in the hotel bar - great simple food, and an efficient friendly service. And an imaginative selection of afternoon tea items (for two people for €16!) which I'll definitely be returning for another day!

On arrival at the spa the reception area seemed a bit chaotic, not the usual tranquil feel a spa has. We weren't clear if there was an overall manager, or if all therapists book in their own clients. After check-in we were escorted to the small changing room, where we noted the two showers were being selotaped up with 'out of order' signs. One locker offered between two of us, but a second was no problem once we asked. We then wandered round outside in the hallways til we found a staff member to show us to a 'relaxation' area. There is an overwhelming air of essential oils everywhere (which made me just want to open up a window). There's another waiting room which offers a seating area, fruit and juice, and a third area with steam room/sauna.

I had opted for a massage, which in itself was well delivered, but I really disliked the thin brightly coloured polyester sheets which covered the treatment beds. But that's just a matter of personal taste.

Massage over, having sat and read a magazine for a while, i felt the need to de-grime myself of whatever oils were used for treatment, so I went to the steam room only to find it out of order.
So decided instead on a hot shower. Fortunately one of the two in the changing area were by now functional. But someone had removed all bath size towels, leaving only hand towels available (big enough to wrap around your head). The shower itself was of good pressure, but needed a thorough cleaning - a bottle of bleach/mildew cleaner would not have gone astray. Hair dryer was fairly poor also, and the layout of the changing room means if you want to use the dryers/ apply make up etc, the mirror you're looking into reflects the entire changing area. Not exactly discreet facilities for those drying off/changing!!

The pool/jacuzzi area is common to the hotel area, and on the day I visited had some kids splashing about, which didn't tie in with the relaxing afternoon I'd in mind, so I didn't venture down. There is a handy porthole window from the 'relaxation' room looking down onto it, so you can judge for yourself in advance of wandering down. There are 3 decent sized jacuzzi type pools alongside a reasonably sized swimming pool, an outdoor jacuzzi and a separate thermal suite. Most impressive of all there was a lifeguard on duty.

All in all, There's great value and good quality to be had here. Something they might consider adding to their extensive treatment menu is serving lunch/afternoon tea either up at the reception area of the spa, or in the bar as part of a spa package.

It really wouldn't take much to improve this spa no end, just a bit of freshening up, and it could be a place to be reckoned with!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Angeld62
odhran l, General Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Angeld 62,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and the spa facility. Equally I am very grateful for your feedback and please be assured that we will sort out these issues you have raised. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you to Johnstown House Hotel in the not too distant future. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Odhran Lawlor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
ludlow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

this has to be the best hotel we have stayed in,the food was excellent and the staff was brilliant through out,the surroundings of the hotel was peaceful and relaxing i would recommend this hotel to anybody the beds were to die for big 7 foot ones cant find a bad word to say

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LudlowBazzer
Dear Ludlow Bazzer,
Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and are honoured that you regarded it as the nicest hotel on your trip. Please be assured that I will pass on your comments to our team. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you to Johnstown House Hotel in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

My partner and I stayed here last weekend. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was simply delicious.

I really enjoyed the breakfast and ale carte breakfast options. The breakfast was freshly cooked which was a nice change from the Buffet provided by other hotels. I would highly recommend this hotel for a relaxing weekend stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cupcake05
Dear EttyC,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed the spa and the hotel facilities. Please be assured that I will pass on your comments to our team. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit TO Johnstown House Hotel. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cavan, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

My daughter and I recently had a 2-night mid week spa break and absolutely loved it. It is a gorgeous hotel in a peaceful and relaxing setting. The staff throughout the hotel, bar, restaurant, leisure and spa were all lovely; so friendly and extremely helpful. The spa is gorgeous, though I was a little disappointed that the precious stone therapy room was out of action, but I knew that before I went and had fabulous alternative treatments instead. We ate in both the bar and the restaurant and the food was excellent.
Overall a really enjoyable break and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
odhran l, General Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2012
Dear EttyC,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and rest assured I will pass on your comments to our staff.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Johnstown House Hotel.

Kind regards,

Johnstownbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Attended the spa over the weekend and have only good things to say about it, the staff were super friendly and helpful. We got there around 3 and got into our robes and used the facilities, pool, sauna, steam rooma and relaxion room. I had a hot stone aroma massage and have to say it was stunning and the therapist was lovely, talked me through what exactly it was and the benefits. The heated slippers at the end were a lovely suprise too. All in all a great day for relaxing, we had lunch in the bar beforehand and that was excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lorraine73434
Dear Lorraine73434,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed the spa and the hotel facilities. Please be assured that I will pass on your comments to our team. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit and if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

attended a wedding here with some friends, venue was intimate and cosy and hotel was comfortable and rooms cosy. Staff were friendly and allowed us a late checkout till 2pm with no extra charges which was great, would recommend this hotel and staff were great !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank colin_morrissey
Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed the wedding and the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit and if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Very disappointed with our trip to this Hotel. We arrived at 15.15 p.m for a one night getaway. We had contacted the hotel the night previous to book dinner and were given a 7pm or 8.45p.m choice, we took the earlier of the two. Upon arrival we were told our room was not ready, I asked could they tell me when they expected it to be ready and he just said 'I don't really know'. We were told to wait in the bar area and he would call me. One hour ten minutes later we went back to reception and only then we were told it was ready. He had taken our bags up to the room. The room was cold and I rang to reception to ask re heating, I was told someone would come up. They never did. Our bags didn't arrive either even after another phone call. We went and got them ourselves. It was now well after 5.30p.m and our planned trip to the spa did not take place as dinner was at 7p.m. The only saving grace was the dinner in the Pavillion Restaurant. It was fantastic and there was some nice entertainment in the bar afterwards.
Breakfast was another disaster. Young staff with no one managing or directing them. They seemed overworked and unable manage the amount of people that were there. I asked for a pot of tea and then waited 20 minutes for it to come, I had no tea cup and I honestly had to wait another 10 minutes for it all while the table was full of our used plates. I did bring up our disappointments with staff and we were offered a late check out. We did not avail of same however nor did we get chance to use the spa. Some of these complaints have already been noted on tripadviser but as far as I am aware nothing has been done about them. At best a 3 Star Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Parkville 79,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience at Johnstown House Hotel. It was with deep regret that I heard of your comments as this is not the standard we are striving to achieve at the hotel. We consider all comments received to be an invaluable source of information on guest satisfaction.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience or annoyance caused as a result of our shortcomings. We will review the issues you raised with your team internally and I please be assured that immediate steps have been taken to ensure no re-occurrence of this regrettable situation.
In the meantime, thank you once again for your feedback and if I can be of any further assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me.

Odhran Lawlor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Moyvalley Hotel & Golf Resort
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Hamlet Court Hotel
Hamlet Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Enfield
Trim Castle Hotel
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure

Been to The Johnstown Estate Hotel? Share your experiences!