“Unhappy children”

CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gormanston
Reviewed 18 March 2014

On doing a lot of research and reading many reviews to take our 2 children away for a 3 night break we chose this one. We were excited to read about a games room, movie nights and games behind reception for the children. We thought this would be perfect and arrived on our first day at 1pm. We asked if our room was ready, it was and we checked in very quickly. We went to the room and rearranged the camp bed as the children wanted to be beside each other. Moved the double over which was very dusty underneath and looked like it was not moved in sometime, to fit them in together. Bathroom clean but in need of a change in grout and silicone and soap holder was rusted. Chipped furniture in the room so I wouldn't rate the rooms 4 star. Leaving the room and wanting to hang about the hotel we were told the games room was on the first floor. I had read somewhere it was beside reception so the adults could relax and not have to worry? It's actually 2 bedrooms upstairs, unwelcoming, has seen better days and totally unsuitable for wee ones, they also had to be supervised with nowhere for any adult to sit down. We asked at reception about the kids club and the movie nights for the children to be told there weren't any. We then planned our visit so that we stayed out of the hotel most of the time as there was nothing for the children, only returning at bedtime. Surely this is not what the hotel want in terms of revenue and certainly not what we wanted. We did want to relax too. We did sit in reception for about an hour one night and asked if there were any games. Children were given a small Christmas fun pack with 4 crayons. My children were very upset, as was I because it was hard to keep them entertained. Infact I saw several children sitting around using DS or tablets so there was no atmosphere. Breakfast was good and staff very nice. Overall I don't think I would stay again unless there were things for the children in the evenings and it was made very clear if it was on or off. I also think the games room should be on the ground floor close to where parents can relax and have a drink.

• Stayed: March 2014
CityNorth, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Hello Ange074,

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am glad you found our staff very nice and enjoyed your breakfast whilst staying with us.

Regarding activities for children, we always strive to improve ourselves here and appreciate all feedback. There is a plan to upgrade our Games Room and if you do decide to return to us in the summer, I do hope that you will notice a difference. Our Kids Clubs run in the summer months and Easter, so I am sorry that your children were disappointed.

If you do decide to stay with us again with the family, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,
Andy Greenslade

There are newer reviews for CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel gets lots of enthusiastic ratings -- they must be from wedding parties or others unused to luxury hotels, so think if something costs a lot it must be truly splendid. Including American tourists to Ireland who mistake "contemporary Ireland" with what would have been unacceptable hospitality 25 years ago. I'd left Dublin well after dark, late, too tired to keep driving to my original destination. The hotel appeared next to the road. I stopped. Service was perfunctory. Price was 69 Euros; pricy for beds with no top sheets -- just a duvet cover with a duvet too heavy and hot for comfortable sleeping. After I'd removed the duvet and covered myself with the cover, I discovered that as the night wore on it wasn't enough for warmth. Duvet still too uncomfortable. Bathroom was OK. Traffic noises from highway loud. Room information said for booking ahead to dial 0, yet when I asked in the morning at check-out the clerk said he would not make a call for a further booking for the night ahead because I would have to make the call from my room and be charged for it.. Breakfast was an additional 10 Euro. There was no offering of a continental breakfast.. When I objected to returning to my room to make a phone call, he, the front desk clerk (not Irish, by the way), lifted his brow and said, "But mahdom, this is a 4 Star Hotel!" Which left me speechless.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the highway have to be quieter. Bring your own sheets and blankets; if it's imp...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
CityNorth, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Hello martinWisconsin,

Thank-you for taking the time to review the hotel and we appreciate all feedback - both positive and negative.

Our previous 'enthusiastic' ratings come from all types of guests, not just ones here for a wedding. We have received feedback from people here on business, leisure guests, conference bookers and sports groups. It is something we are good here at CityNorth - offering an ideal venue for so many varied and different types of guest.

I do offer my apologies for you not having a comfortable nights sleep, we could have sent additional sheets/bed linen to your room if you had asked.

From reading your review, I am not 100% clear on what happened when you tried to book an additional night. If you could contact me directly, I would be only too happy to discuss with you.

Thank-you again and I look forward to speaking with you.

Andy Greenslade
Sales & Marketing Manager

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed in Citynorth Hotel.Very friendly and welcoming Staff.Rooms were spacious and very clean.
We had Dinner in The Bar.We were served by A manager,Very Pleasant and professional(Over heard her name I think Aga) .We were offered special of the day which we took.Food was lovely and service was Exceptional.Next morning had breakfast in Restaurant .Lots of selection of cereals and hot breakfast.We will recommend this hotel and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello John O,

Thank-you for speaking so highly about your recent stay with us. Whilst 6 stars would be nice, we are only too happy to receive the maximum 5 from you!!

Hopefully we will get a chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here for one night and left the car while we flew out of Dublin airport. Good value, nice food and super staff. Clean rooms and restaurant/bar areas, couldn't really fault it and would definitely recommend. The food and drink are good value also and they pour a reasonable pint of Guinness. They have recently upgraded the security around the car park which mea

Stayed: March 2014

Hello PJKNorthernIreland,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience here at CityNorth Hotel.

The Park, Stay & Fly package which you booked is one of our most popular and I am so happy to learn that your stay was a positive one. Any hotel will tell you that the staff makes or break the place, and I delighted that you found our staff 'super'! We think so too!

We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Excellent 4 star hotel just off the M4 Motorway Dublin Belfast. Ten minutes from Dublin Airport
Twenty five minutes from Dublin City Centre. Transfer and coach service to/from both locations Modern well furnished rooms with coffee/tea facilities. Well equipped bars and restaurant with varied menu.On the doorstep of the Boyne Valley one of the most historic( and pre historic) parts of Ireland covering sites with histories and structures from 5500 year ago down to modern times. Within ten minutes of sand beaches of Co Meath and small attractive inland villages.Good base for touring counties Meath, Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ernest C

Hello Ernest C,

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review.

It was great to read such positive comments and I will be sure to share with all the team here at the hotel. As the hotel is located between Boyne Valley and Dublin, a great deal of our guests plan similar trips to yourself and all leave happy.

Don't forget to tell all your friends and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stopped off for a night as we were visiting a friend in Drogheda before heading down to Cork... Rooms were excellent and very clean. Check in was quick and efficient with friendly staff. Breakfast was nice and staff were quick to seat and serve us. I would definatly use this hotel again and would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lontrick

Hello lontrick,

It was great to read your positive comments and thank-you for sharing them with us.

We are a popular stop for people visiting Drogheda and I am happy to learn that you enjoyed our breakfast and found our staff friendly.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here last night for a relaxing night away but unfortunately left this morning more stressed and tired then when we arrived.The guests of the rooms all around us where up partying very loudly all night slamming doors shouting and laughing in the halls goin from room to room for hours.We understand that the hotel can't be held solely responsible for the lack of consideration some guest have for others,but after a certain number of hours you begin to wonder how the staff was not aware of all the noise and commotion at that hour of the morning.And we can't understand why just as we where drifting off(at half six!) we where woken again by a call from reception asking if we required a newspaper for the morning ?! We have regularly been coming to the city north and usually enjoy, sadly last night's partying was a bit to much for us to return.

• Stayed: March 2014
CityNorth, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Hello Jes36,

Thank-you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am so sorry to learn that you did not have a relaxing time whilst you were here with us.

Unfortunately, we did have some guests staying in your vicinity who were unruly and did not care too much for others. We did try and control them as much as we could, but it was not always possible and this resulted in the excess noise.

If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be only too delighted to arrange an overnight stay for you.

Kind Regards,

Andy Greenslade - Sales & Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gormanston
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Westcourt Hotel
Westcourt Hotel
#2 of 5 in Drogheda

Been to CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!