“Top Class!!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gormanston
A TripAdvisor Member
“Top Class!!!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Having visited this fabulous hotel with my girlfriend for the last weekend of march, I must say I got exactly what I expected and more. Checking in was easy and quick with friendly staff (massive reason for this excellent review). The rooms were perfect, tidy, clean and very comfortable. Having booked this on a deal I was expecting a set menu for the dinner but had full choice from the A la carte menu!! Food both nights from the restaurant and bar was delicious.... absolutely no complaints!! Staff of the restaurant and the bar (especially Caroline from the bar staff the second night) were extremely friendly and helpful. Not to mention the breakfasts on both mornings..... Both being last minute due to the few beers the night before we both found to be fresh and fulfilling with a very wide variety of choices to fit anyone's requirements. I really cannot fault anything with this hotel!!! I have stayed in my fair share of hotels but this is the first time I have left a review and is simply because of the excellent standard of service and quality of this hotel. 5 stars in our eyes!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
CityNorth, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank-you for your comments! I am glad you and your girlfriend had an enjoyable stay and that you found our bedrooms perfect, tidy, clean and very comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Carlow
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel after a visit to the theatre and before a sporting event. Our arrival was late and the hotel was busy but we were greeted promptly at reception and checked in efficiently (we were offered a cup of tea and use of a porter - neither was necessary, but nice to be offered)
Our room was very clean and spacious with the usual facilities. The bed was large and very comfortable. We had none of the noise commented on by other guests. A good restful night's sleep set us up for the next day.
Breakfast was the usual buffet with a good selection and well presented. Staff were friendly and prompt in offering tea/coffee and clearing used plates.
Check out was seamless, staff offered help with our onward plans and wished us well for the rest of the day (another nice touch)
We will certainly return and recommend this hotel to friends.
jandsc

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Sam C,

Many thanks for posting your positive comments.

We are very popular with guests who visit the local theatre in Drogheda and for sporting events in Dublin. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and cup of tea on arrival!

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

After travelling an hour and a half to get to the hotel we were turned away and not allowed our room due to having no id (which wasn't stated anywhere that we needed it) however there were an elderly couple and a family both in front of us who weren't asked for this id, yet we were because we were younger!! The woman at the desk was ignorant and not at all helpful even though my partner had a photocopy of his id she still couldn't accept it! We even offered to leave a deposit but no! Disgraceful! Won't be back!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank-you for your feedback
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Sorry for the late review.

I stayed in the hotel with my husband for one night.
The food was very good and the rooms very confortable.
The gentleman at the desk was very helpfull and check us in very quick.
I think his name was Francisco.
Also the girls in the bar were very good .
Thank you all for a wonderful stay.
Definiti

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CityNorth, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Hello LeaS2013,

Thank-you for taking the time to submit a review and delighted to learn that you enjoyed our food and bedrooms.

I will also pass your kind comments regarding our team across to the relevant people.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Celebrated a fantastic birthday party in the Tara Lounge. The Finger Food was fantastic and service excellent. A big thank you to Niamh who provided first class service and ensured everything went smoothly. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hello C_Dublin_K

Delighted to learn that you enjoyed your birthday here at CityNorth Hotel.

Thank-you also for taking the time to submit a review
Belfast
Reviewed 18 March 2014

On doing a lot of research and reading many reviews to take our 2 children away for a 3 night break we chose this one. We were excited to read about a games room, movie nights and games behind reception for the children. We thought this would be perfect and arrived on our first day at 1pm. We asked if our room was ready, it was and we checked in very quickly. We went to the room and rearranged the camp bed as the children wanted to be beside each other. Moved the double over which was very dusty underneath and looked like it was not moved in sometime, to fit them in together. Bathroom clean but in need of a change in grout and silicone and soap holder was rusted. Chipped furniture in the room so I wouldn't rate the rooms 4 star. Leaving the room and wanting to hang about the hotel we were told the games room was on the first floor. I had read somewhere it was beside reception so the adults could relax and not have to worry? It's actually 2 bedrooms upstairs, unwelcoming, has seen better days and totally unsuitable for wee ones, they also had to be supervised with nowhere for any adult to sit down. We asked at reception about the kids club and the movie nights for the children to be told there weren't any. We then planned our visit so that we stayed out of the hotel most of the time as there was nothing for the children, only returning at bedtime. Surely this is not what the hotel want in terms of revenue and certainly not what we wanted. We did want to relax too. We did sit in reception for about an hour one night and asked if there were any games. Children were given a small Christmas fun pack with 4 crayons. My children were very upset, as was I because it was hard to keep them entertained. Infact I saw several children sitting around using DS or tablets so there was no atmosphere. Breakfast was good and staff very nice. Overall I don't think I would stay again unless there were things for the children in the evenings and it was made very clear if it was on or off. I also think the games room should be on the ground floor close to where parents can relax and have a drink.

• Stayed March 2014
CityNorth, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Hello Ange074,

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am glad you found our staff very nice and enjoyed your breakfast whilst staying with us.

Regarding activities for children, we always strive to improve ourselves here and appreciate all feedback. There is a plan to upgrade our Games Room and if you do decide to return to us in the summer, I do hope that you will notice a difference. Our Kids Clubs run in the summer months and Easter, so I am sorry that your children were disappointed.

If you do decide to stay with us again with the family, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,
Andy Greenslade
Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel gets lots of enthusiastic ratings -- they must be from wedding parties or others unused to luxury hotels, so think if something costs a lot it must be truly splendid. Including American tourists to Ireland who mistake "contemporary Ireland" with what would have been unacceptable hospitality 25 years ago. I'd left Dublin well after dark, late, too tired to keep driving to my original destination. The hotel appeared next to the road. I stopped. Service was perfunctory. Price was 69 Euros; pricy for beds with no top sheets -- just a duvet cover with a duvet too heavy and hot for comfortable sleeping. After I'd removed the duvet and covered myself with the cover, I discovered that as the night wore on it wasn't enough for warmth. Duvet still too uncomfortable. Bathroom was OK. Traffic noises from highway loud. Room information said for booking ahead to dial 0, yet when I asked in the morning at check-out the clerk said he would not make a call for a further booking for the night ahead because I would have to make the call from my room and be charged for it.. Breakfast was an additional 10 Euro. There was no offering of a continental breakfast.. When I objected to returning to my room to make a phone call, he, the front desk clerk (not Irish, by the way), lifted his brow and said, "But mahdom, this is a 4 Star Hotel!" Which left me speechless.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the highway have to be quieter. Bring your own sheets and blankets; if it's imp...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
CityNorth, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hello martinWisconsin,

Thank-you for taking the time to review the hotel and we appreciate all feedback - both positive and negative.

Our previous 'enthusiastic' ratings come from all types of guests, not just ones here for a wedding. We have received feedback from people here on business, leisure guests, conference bookers and sports groups. It is something we are good here at CityNorth - offering an ideal venue for so many varied and different types of guest.

I do offer my apologies for you not having a comfortable nights sleep, we could have sent additional sheets/bed linen to your room if you had asked.

From reading your review, I am not 100% clear on what happened when you tried to book an additional night. If you could contact me directly, I would be only too happy to discuss with you.

Thank-you again and I look forward to speaking with you.

Andy Greenslade
Sales & Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gormanston
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#4 of 5 in Drogheda
Ashbourne Court Hotel
Ashbourne Court Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ashbourne

Been to CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!