“Excellent, creative & delicious food!”
Review of The Old Convent

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clogheen
The Old Convent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clogheen
Reviewed 18 September 2012

This is one of the best meals I've had in Ireland. The courses were creatively designed and expertly prepared. Every dish we were served was fantastic and presented in a very professional way. The setting and candle lighting creates a most wonderful atmosphere.

I'd have to say that this place is probably only a slightly higher end wine list away from a Michelin star.

Note* Review applies to restaurant only - we did not stay here.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DaithiDufaux

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Awesome, unforgettable food.... We had a bento box first night and eight course chef tasting menu the second, both were outstanding! Accommodation is great, we had a nose around some of the vacant rooms and suites and they are beautiful, particularly the four poster. A very chilled out place, no TVs but has portable DVD players, wifi and plenty of books. We will be back soon...

Room Tip: Wifi is best nearest the stairs, four poster bedroom is sweet!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patindublin_12
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed in the professors suite on the June weekend and had a fantastic weekend. The thought that goes into customer care from the time you arrive to the day you leave is apparent but delivered in a subtle relaxed manner. At one stage dermot even came out from the kitchen to help me with a spot to park the car. I wont go into the food as it would take too long. Suffice to say this is food as good as it gets, delivered in a well judged and beautifully presented style. Only 1 hour from cork but feels like a world away from everywhere. Stop stressing about your wish list of where to go and just book it. Thank me later.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Early-Bird-Ireland
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I'd like to say 3.5 stars, it was good, great food, but it is very expensive for BnB rates, and I have stayed in more luxurious gastro-guesthouses for that price range.
I was brought here as a birthday treat by my husband (having been recommended by a friend) and we had a nice time. Its a nice peaceful location, and the bedroom was comfortable though small, the bath was huge. The food was very good, we had the Bento box the first night (what they call a light dinner but it was more than enough for me) and the tasting menu the second night - unfortunately that was a bit too much for both of us - while the portions are small, there are just too many to cope, and we ended up leaving the dining room before the dessert courses.
I think there is only a wine licence (no beer anyway, didn't ask about spirits), but the wine list is extensive, and the house red and white were both very nice.
There are no TVs or internet (a good point for me, but not for my husband who had intended to get a bit of work done on the laptop), but there are plenty of books and portable DVD players in the guest kitchen, so you can really relax.
The staff were all very pleasant and helpful throughout our stay, we arrived in the middle of the friday night dinner and there was no hassle being shown to our room.
The tasting menu is pretty good value at 65 Euro per person, for I think 8 courses including coffee.
However in my opinion a stay here is not good value, at 170 Euro per night for a basic although comfortable room, my husband had assumed that the dinner was included in this price when he booked it, so got a bit of a shock when he realised the total price for the weekend, which has left a bitter aftertaste.
I would recommend the food, but would warn anyone planning on staying to be very aware of the price, perhaps book a special offer where you know exactly what the price will be for a combo of food and accomodation.

2  Thank CorkonianCouple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The Old Convent is certainly one of the most romantic locations we have ever stayed in. The grounds and building are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the honeymoon suite, which was so luxurious. Dinner was very enjoyable and the breakfast was out of this world. We especially loved the extra touches of the residents coffee area upstairs, where guests could help themselves to tea / coffee, cookies, fruit, dvds, boardgames and books. I would love to see black out blinds on our next trip as the sun beamed in our windows from early morning waking us up.

1  Thank Cmyappletart
Reviewed 20 August 2012

After receiving a 2 night stay at the Old Convent as a wedding present, my husband and I were eager to visit after checking out all the reviews online. Once checked in, I can happily say that we were not disappointed! After arriving a little early, we were treated to freshly baked muffins and tea by the friendly hostess and shown our to our room, complete with sitting area, a great bathroom and a very comfy bed. We took advantage of the pantry to collect some snacks and portable dvd player and were treated to the 8 course tasting menu. As part of our voucher we also received the bento box on our second night- both meals were totally amazing with great service from the staff!

We would recommend the OC to any friend travelling through the area and hope to return again ourselves!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Great experience. All staff were friendly and welcoming from beginning to end. Quiet location on edge of small village. On arrival shown around the house, dining room, lounge, room on first floor where 24 hours a day you could help yourself to delicious home made nut cookies, hot chocolate and marshmallows, tea, coffee, bottles of water and locally made apple juice, which I suggest you try, DVD's with portable players, games etc, spare toiletries, just about anything which you might need! our bedroom was lovely, had sitting room and bedroom. Four poster bed with very comfortable mattress, memory foam I think. Shower in bathroom quite powerful. View of mountains from bedroom. Now for the important stuff, the food! My partner is a celiac so I emailed them a week before arrival to see if the chef would accommodate her. They responded immediately to say that the chef would adapt the taster menu to fit her needs. Well they did exactly that and each course was excellent, she was able to eat everything. it really is food at its best. Breakfast was equally lovely, they had prepared gluten free waffles and two different special breads amongst her choices. We left contented and probably half a stone heavier! Will certainly return. Than you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clogheen
Kilcoran Lodge Hotel
Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel
Hotel Minella
Hotel Minella
#1 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to The Old Convent? Share your experiences!