“old convent new convert”
Review of The Old Convent

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clogheen
The Old Convent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clogheen
Dublin
“old convent new convert”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Spent a surprise night here last weekend for our fifth wedding anniversary and enjoyed it immensely. On arrival we were warmly greeted and shown to a lovely drawing room and given coffee and macaroons! As it was our anniversary we were kindly assigned the 'honeymoon suite' which was bright, extremely roomy and included a fab double corner bath and separate reception room. My only negative would be the lack of a blackout blind in the bedroom area which caused me to wake up quite early! As good as the room and the house and grounds were the food was the highlight for us both. The seven course tasting menu served by Dermot and his staff wasmost probably the finest meal I've ever had and put michelin starred restaurants in Dublin to shame. I won't ramble on about it but suffice to say I shall not be waiting another 5 years to return and sample it again. A lovely breakfast the next morning with terrific waffles and gourmet pork products capped a memorable stay followed by a nice walk to visit the donkeys and chickens on the gounds.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sweetie-dj

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
waterford
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Travellers..if you are coming to Ireland from abroad you HAVE to come here. Everything about The OC is simple, authentic & unassuming. The food & level of service is totally unexpected & absolutely outstanding. I love food, however my husband is a tad picky, not a lover of tasting menus, finds them too fussy & intimidating! So the eight course tasting menu was a little off putting for him. BUT, he absolutely loved EVERYTHING. The food is uncomplicated, understated & the very best I have eaten in Ireland to date. The level of professionalism & service provided by the staff is to be envied by other 5 star hotels I have stayed in. The rooms are quirky & unique, breakfast just perfect. I loved the fact that there is no TV & hence no constant flicking of channels! Just to mention, it is particularly quiet here & I therefore would not suggest for bringing kids or a noisy group! It is such a pity that the OC is not part of any main tourist drive because the surrounding scenery, drive through the Vee and countryside is stunning. The owners should be very proud of this unique little gem they have created.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Have visited the old convent for the 2nd time. Great place to escape from it all. Thew food here is the highlight however.The menu is full of locally sourced delicious ingredients cooked to perfection. Would highly recommend a visit to this gourmet hideaway! Great scenery and walks to explore in the surroundings also!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The best hotels aren't made of bricks and mortar, but love and commitment to an idea. Back in 2006 Christine and Dermot Gannon had an idea to turn an old Convent into a hotel with a nun theme and seven years later the idea is a stunning success. The only other place I can compare this with in Ireland - and this is a compliment - is Tom and Maura Foley's excellent Shelburne Lodge in Kenmare. It has all of the detail and charm. And in an age when anti-clericalism is sadly crass and rife, the fun-nun theme is done with an affection and charm that will please everyone and offend no one.

First of all some caveats: This is not a hotel catering for children and is geared towards couples having a romantic few days in a remote location. Secondly it isn't open all year around and in some months - April being one of them - it opens only two or three days a week. Thirdly they don't have a beer license and hence no beer (but beer can be consumed if bought in the nearby village) Those caveats aside, the place is a real treat. Rooms consist of a generously sized bedroom decorated with extremely good taste (by Christine) plus a small living room. Althoug there are no TVs in the rooms there is a generously stocked library of books and DVDs with DVD players provided so you can watch a great selection of movies. Personally I don't miss the TV at all as all you do is flick from CNN to Sky and back 50 times. The DVD collection was great and so were the books. There is also a little communal area where you can make tea, grab sweets/biscuits/goodies provided free of charge and meet and get to know other guests.
Christine's touch is evident from the interior design and clever details of the hotel. Dermot's contribution is the truly excellent cuisine. Apart from Maura Foley (and my own mother and wife of course!) no one has ever prepared as delicious a breakfast for me as that prepared in this hotel. And on the one night we dined in the hotel - the other night we took a few sambos up to our room and had them with tea (which was cool with Christine) - the food was excellent too. So was the hospitality: We had come to the hotel specialising in adult weekend breaks with a small baby (our mistake as we didn't carefully look at the website). But to enable us to dine without disturbing other guests, Christine provided us with our own small dining room which was beatiful. And while they didn't have baby cots - being a hotel catering for adults - they lent us their son's playpen for two nights. We couldn't have felt more at home and will definitely go back. So if you're going to county Tipperary my advice is: Get thee to a nunnery.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Marcpc
Dublin
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My husband and I were given a voucher for our wedding to visit here which we did for our first wedding anniversary. From the second we arrived we knew we were due a wonderful time. The hostess met us at the door and brought us up to our room. Aware that it was our first wedding anniversary we had been given the Honeymoon suite which has gorgeous little 'romantic' touches dotted throughout the room. There was a bottle of prosecco, strawberries and a welcome note wishing us a happy anniversary which we were delighted about. We also loved the treat room where you could pick up Dvd's/books and treats including jellies an marshmellows as well as fresh apple juice to enjoy.
That night we went down for the Bento box which was truly one of the top dining experiences we have ever had in Ireland. For €25 we stuffed ourselves on the most delicious food ranging from a smoked duck breast salad with gorgonzola cheese, walnuts and baby beets to the most delicious sensual sundae. We couldn't fault one bite. This was the theme for the rest of the weekend.
We had two of the most delicious breakfasts we have ever had anywhere in the world - the sourdough waffles literally made me feel like I had died and gone to heaven. The tasting dinner on the Saturday night was absolutely out of this world with the salmon course being a particularly highlight as well as the delicious fudge that we were given as a petit fours. Another highlight was the service - the girls are unbelievably well trained and passionate about their jobs. They are also so knowledgable about the food and take a huge pride in the Old Convent which was so lovely to see. Another small item that we loved were the three donkey's outside that we could feed with carrots and digestive biscuits.
Out of all the places we have stayed in Irelan over the last couple of years the Old Convent was the first that gave us the full package - a brilliant hostess, fantatsic service, amazing out of this world food, a great splotless room with wonderful little touches and entertainment despite there not being a television (which was a blessing).
If there is one place you should stay in Ireland in 2013 this is the place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank magenta_clovisse
Dunboyne, Ireland
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We went again with a couple of friends for a "switch off" overnight stay and culinary experience. Once arrived you enter into Christine and Dermot's cocoon and all the worries of the world disappear. It's astounding how hospitable, polite, conscientious, considerate, welcoming, client focussed, attentive, responsive and enthusiastic Christine, Niamh and all the staff at The Old Convent are! I couldn't speak highly enough about it and suggest they provide training courses for all other service industries in Ireland on how to deal with customer service.

This time we stayed in the Mother Superior room and it had almost a religious peace, with one exception to the naughty painting hidden in the corner.

We sat for the 8pm meal, 9 course tasting menu. Our guests and ourselves commented on whether we would make it to the end, however you don't need to worry as Dermot always proportions each course perfectly. It was a hit with us all, and attached is a photo of the menu and some dishes. I feel I need to make at least one criticism, as it can't all be good! I am not a big fan of pork as a main course, and so didn't particularly like the Tamworth pork belly, personal choice. Also, not sure two desert courses are needed, both were fantastic, but maybe a savoury element would be a could alternative to end the meal. Christine delivered some iced caramels at the end of the meal which finished of the culinary delight.

We retired to the drawing room for restful drink after the meal, and then wandered up to bed. What is a pleasure when you go to any of the unique rooms in the Old Convent is the spotlessness, the standard of hygiene is second to none. The decor is reserved and peaceful, befitting a restful sleep after an enjoyable evening. My only comment would be to have black out blinds or bring along a blindfold for those who are sensitive to early morning bright lights.

We slept gloriously and headed down to breakfast the next morning. Again an appropriate and welcoming "Good morning" from the staff which set the tone for the morning fayre. Another unique menu, albeit the classic Irish breakfast was on there of course. Unique products and flavours which awoke our senses for the mornings activities. It's hard to believe after a meal the night before that you would have an appetite left, but quantities are measured and worthy such that you never feel bloated.

What an experience! We will be coming back, and I hope my review will not end up with so many going to the OC that it loses it's charm and uniqueness in this world overcome with standard hotels and overcooked vegetables in Ireland.

Before I forget, the OC sits in the cradle of some beautiful landscape and mountain views, complimenting the whole experience, it's another world. Wow those Nuns knew how to live!

Room Tip: Call Christine and ask her the names of each room and it might help you chose which will suit your v...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank mebo40
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My financé and I stayed here for one night as part of a deal. €100 per person for bed and breakfast and their 8 course tasting menu. We were not disappointed.

Tea/coffee and handmade chocolate treats on arrival seems to be standard. The sitting room was delightful. Comfy seats made for couples and coffee table books about.

Our room was fantastic. Lovely comfortable bed and huge bath more then capable of holding two adults (and their escapades) comfortably. I peaked into a few unoccupied rooms that were in the process of being cleaned and they were all lovely too. Each room (I believe there are only 8 rooms) has it's own character.

There are facilities to make your own tea/coffee/hot chocolate on the landing. Homemade macaroons in a jar on the counter were a lovely touch. On the opposite wall were shelves of books/dvds/games for couples to enjoy.

The building itself and grounds are magnificent. Apple and pear trees and chickens and ponies abound.

The dinner was the best food I have ever eaten. Dermot's is an excellent cook. There was not one bad things to be said about any of the 8 courses we had. I've since eaten in L'écrivain (my only michelin star experience and the food was not as good as it is here).

The quality of the breakfast the following morning was a complete surprise. I don't klnow why I just expected your run of the mill breakfast but it certainly was not run of the mill.

My one problem is that check in is not until 4pm so if you're staying for one night, it seems like you don't get a lot of time there.

I will definitely go back there when we can afford it. And hopefully stay for two nights this time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dave W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clogheen
Baileys Hotel Cashel
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
#2 of 3 in Cappoquin
Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel

Been to The Old Convent? Share your experiences!