“Amazing Heavenly experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Convent

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clogheen
The Old Convent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clogheen
cork
“Amazing Heavenly experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

This is perhaps the best restaurant I've ever been to. It is fabulous. Went with some friends as a catch up and everything about it was perfect. In fact I wet back with my husband after this. We didn't stay overnight but I wish we did. It was just a fantastic experience. The food was unforgettable. I really wish this hotel/restaurant the very best of luck and I think they have made their own luck already. The management must be excellent - Its obvious the chef/s are and staff are so efficient, friendly and awake. We will return.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We came here for a family treat and were stunned with how great the meal here was. The staff were extremely friendly and couldnt do enough to help us. My wife was pregnant and they substituted out any course where there were ingredients she couldnt have but the dishes she was given in their place were of the highest quality. My wifes mother is vegetarian and she was delighted by the courses that were provided for her. The rest of us were meat eaters and we loved our meal. It was simply one of the best meals we had every had. Deserving of a star.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

The Old Convent is a place you have to go to just to understand how wonderful it is.
Upon arrival I was very warmly greeted by Christine and shown to my room which was the Professor's Suite. The suite had its own sitting room and stocked bookcase. There was ample wardrobe space in the bedroom along with a most charming dressing table/writing desk. The room also had a super comfortable four poster bed. There were also magnificent views from the room. The website promotes this suite as being the scene of many marriage proposals and I can understand why. However as I was travelling alone I was not adding to this list!
There is also a room which has books, games, tea/coffee making facilities, sweet treats and toiletries all available complimentary should you have forgotten anything.
Throughout the whole building the cleanliness is impeccable.
Shortly after arrival I was given coffee and cake in the drawing room and chatted to some other guests.
Dinner was at 8pm and commenced in the drawing room with drinks. The Old Convent has an excellent wine list.
We were then seated in the dining room which used to be the Chapel of the Convent and some of the original windows are retained.
That evening there were seven people dining - three couples and myself. The waitress for the evening, Hannah, was excellent and served eight courses to seven people with absolute professionalism and a charming manner.
As for the meal itself, the courses blended perfectly and while I am not going to list all of them certainly outstanding, for me, were the Green Onion Velouté and the Aga Roast Hereford Beef.
Breakfast the next morning was also superb starting off with red berries, walnuts and cream with a fizzy apple juice. There were three option for breakfast of which I chose the full Irish breakfast with toast and coffee.
The Old Convent is an absolute haven of relaxation, calm and warm welcomes, dedicated staff and superb food.
To treat yourself or for a romantic getaway this is the place to come.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Redsionnach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the loft suite. Fantastic room with a view and amazing bath. Food superb and the the little extras like tea coffee, biscuits and water etc
I would thoroughly recommend a visit and will definitely be visiting again. It's a great romantic getaway

• Stayed July 2013
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is my favourite place to eat. I recommend the tasting menu and bring your appetite. Come early to enjoy a pre dinner drink in the drawing room and stay overnight for a special occasion if the budget allows. It's a truly exceptional experience here. Enjoy! Unfortunately, it's pricey so only for special occasions.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Tramore, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

This old convent is a fantastic place to stay. Everything has been thought of. Great welcome on arrival with afternoon tea/coffee. A big open fire to relax in front of. A selection of tastefully designed bedrooms each one different. A little room with everything you might ever need from a book to a DVD to hog chocolate to toothpaste to popcorn :-). Beautiful gardens to explore with wellies inside the front door. Old chapel converted to dining room where you will have the most sumptuous meal. The old convent is for adults only so a fantastic place to relax go on treat yourself you won't regret it!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank deisecailin
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Spent a surprise night here last weekend for our fifth wedding anniversary and enjoyed it immensely. On arrival we were warmly greeted and shown to a lovely drawing room and given coffee and macaroons! As it was our anniversary we were kindly assigned the 'honeymoon suite' which was bright, extremely roomy and included a fab double corner bath and separate reception room. My only negative would be the lack of a blackout blind in the bedroom area which caused me to wake up quite early! As good as the room and the house and grounds were the food was the highlight for us both. The seven course tasting menu served by Dermot and his staff wasmost probably the finest meal I've ever had and put michelin starred restaurants in Dublin to shame. I won't ramble on about it but suffice to say I shall not be waiting another 5 years to return and sample it again. A lovely breakfast the next morning with terrific waffles and gourmet pork products capped a memorable stay followed by a nice walk to visit the donkeys and chickens on the gounds.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sweetie-dj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clogheen
Baileys Hotel Cashel
Ballykisteen Hotel and Golf Resort
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
#2 of 3 in Cappoquin

Been to The Old Convent? Share your experiences!