“A very comfortable hotel”

Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in this very comfortable hotel. Our room was in the attic but was spacious & comfortable and had a small balcony which allowed us to enjoy some rare spring sunshine.
Service was excellent throughout our stay. The “Local Pub” is an excellent innovation – a more relaxed environment for a pint than the more “formal” bar in the hotel itself.
The only slight disappointment was the 4 course seasonal menu (€55) we had in the dining-room on our first night. The food was fine but no course was outstanding – I guess our expectations may have been unreasonably high due to the “celebrity chef” status of the joint owner.
On our second night we went to the adjoining “Local Pub” for a couple of pints and ended up eating there – some excellent & very reasonably priced Fish & chips.
We certainly hope to be back.

Room Tip: If allocated an attic room, get someone to bring up your bags.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Dunbrody Country House Hotel

Reviewed 8 March 2014

My wife, my 14 months baby and I booked one night + cooking class at Dunbrody for late February.
To be honest, we were not sure what to expect given the mixed review on TA and travelling with a baby does not always get you sympathy from hotels staff.
I have to say I have been very impressed by the kindness, the thoughtfulness and the high level of professionalism in this very well kept house.
The staff ha been nothing short of helpful and really went the extra mile to make our stay unforgettable.
Dinner was lovely and choice of wine well above average.
The cooking class was exactly what I expected with young French Chef Julien who was both didactic and fun. Recipes are well suited to an average cook like me and I had no problem making them again at home. Well done, Dunbrody.
Overall it is a very nice place and I would absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank matdiver2
Reviewed 7 March 2014

was so looking forward to our stay,it was my birthday and myself and my sister had got a deal on face book for a nights stay here.
on arrival through gates felt the grounds were very unkept,arrived at the main house and waited at least five minutes after pressing bell to be greeted and brought to our room which was a bit dated and miss matched.We decided we would have a gls of wine while overlooking the gardens we opened the dirty window and all the bramble came in which obviously had not been trimmed back in a long time and the gardens looked as if they had not been maintained in a long time either.
So to dinner what was to be the high light with kevin being one of our celebrity chefs was looking forward to a tasting adventure. How wrong!! We were opting for the early bird menu as we were on a budget must have been the worst menu i have ever read, the choice of starters was duck or salmon and mains salmon or duck!!!! So we opted for salmon and duck one of each for starter and main,starters were fine nothing amazing but mains were dreadful tasteless boring even the presentation and vegetables were cold,the head waiter did ask at end was everything ok we replied no tasteless.Well he came back to say the chef said it must be our taste!!!!! desserts my sticky toffee was left to long in microwave so was to hard to eat chocolate fondant was nice but tiny.All there wine was over priced.
Not a good night sleep either as there was a problem with plumbing so pipes banging all night,After finding out that breakfast would cost us 25e each and after our dinner experience we decided to drive else where.
When paying the way over the top bill i was asked again was everything ok and explained no but the lady didnt care atall it went over her head and I did send an email to Cathrine and Kevin a week and half ago now the day we got home and still have not heard anything!!!
So all I can say folks go and spend your money else where this place does not live up to the standard that you would expect.

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lion533
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Myself and my Husband spent one night in Dunbrody House hotel March 1st 2014. This was a special occasion as it was my Husband's birthday. We stayed in the 'Blue Room' located on the 1st floor. This room was rather dated, with obvious signs of general wear including a sagging bed. There was a musty smell throughout the bedroom, which was particularly potent each time we entered the room. While some concessions can be made for the age of the property there is no reason as to why the room should smell or the bed sag.

We enjoyed the bar/lounge area for a late lunch. I had the chicken sandwich and my Husband had the chowder - both very tasty. The lounge/sitting room is nicely appointed with an open fire. The waitress was very pleasant and welcoming.

Later in the evening we had the Chef's Tasting Menu for dinner, with accompanying wines. Our initial problem was with the speed of service. As after 1 hour and 25 minutes we had to draw the managers attention as we had only received 2 courses (of 8). We had noticed that the table next to us - who may have been reviewing the restaurant - were receiving constant attention from all staff, while we were plainly ignored. After speaking with the Manager he apologized and the following course shortly followed. Despite having a long wait between courses the old wine glasses were not cleared away from the table. During the following course our food arrived to the table while we still had not received the paired wine for the course, at which point we had to speak to the Manager again. The Manager did try to defend himself but we expressed that for the reputation and quality of the establishment the service was not good enough and we had not received good service.

In advance of going to Dunbrody I rang and let the hotel know that it was a special occasion and I specifically requested candles for my Husbands desert. This was not forthcoming. The kitchen did acknowledge his birthday by writing in chocolate on his plate however no candles. A different table to ours were also celebrating a Birthday and they were presented with candles and staff sang Happy Birthday.

The kitchen apologised for the wait by sending us a glass of champagne. This was a thoughtful gesture but it was too little too late.

Breakfast was pleasant with good service and a decent choice of buffet and set menu.

On check-out we were also apologised to again, however apologises and a free glass of champagne was not what we were after - what we wanted for a lovely experience.

The night away, with lunch and dinner cost just 500 euro. This is a lot of money and our experience did not in any way justify that spend. We were very disappointed and we are certainly never going to return. We would also recommend that others spend their money elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DubWoman1979
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I took my mam here for a night for a quiet getaway. It was beautiful. The hotel itself, the rooms and location were all beautiful. I was a little disappointed in the menus. We ate in the Champagne bar and what we had was nice, but I have to admit I was expecting wow. Breakfast was nice too but again I was disappointed due to the fact the coffee was cold. I did ask for some hot coffee and the lovely girls looked after us really well but again, the coffee was still cold even though it was fresh.
I will return again to give it another chance.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank galwaygirl27
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I spent a night in Dunbrody, having had to delay a planned two day trip. This was a trip we had wanted to make for some time. The house and setting is really lovely and when one arrives you enter into what is a cosy reception area. When we looked to book in there was initially some confusion and no record of our booking. Notwithstanding the blip we went from a superior room to a suite. The suite was lovely with a very comfortable bed, cosy outer area and spacious and well equipped bathroom. We went for coffee and a read of the sunday papers in the champagne bar. Again very comfortable and adult but funnily enough the coffee was not good, rather weak. When it came to dinner we split choices with one of us. following the winter menur and the other taking the choices off the package menu. One thing that we noted was that the breads were rather doughy, though very tasty.The amuse buoche was very pleasant and augured well. I chose pigeon breast as a starter and my wife had the spiced soup. Both were lovely. I then had duck with a cherry sauce and my wife had salmon. The duck was possibly the best I have ever had, beautifully cooked and with a sauce that was sweet but not cloying. Unfortunately my wifes salmon was not cooked through and we had to ask that it be replaced. The staff were apologetic and the waiter and restaurant manager did check if the replacement was ok. I chose the cheeseboard for dessert and my wife chose the apple strudel. This was good as was my cheeseboard, though interestingly the waiter did not stop to explain the cheeseboard. The wine list was good and there is a good selection of ports as well. Overall the meal was excellent but one cant really accept that fish would be not cooked through. We retired to an exceptionally comfortable bed and slept incredibly well. Awaking in the morning we were delighted to remember that breakfast is served to 12 and that late check out means you can enjoy the last piece of staying in Dunbrody. We went for a late breakfast served in the restaurant which is at the back of the house and with a pleasant and relaxed ambience. Breakfast is for us a real mark of a hotel and in Dunbrody it is very very good, with a good selection of additional hot dishes over the buffet. Breakfast was, however severely impacted on when we poured milk from the jug into our tea and coffee and discovered crusted milk inside the jug. Again the waiting staff were very apologetic and, with a gentle hint replaced both the milk and the tea. Coffee again was extremely weak. Overall this was a lovely stay and I would go again and, with small caveats recommend Dunbrody. A little more attention to the details and it would have been perfect. I will be booking again and hoping that we just were unlucky on our trip this time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My mother and I spent a morning in the Dunbrody House Spa followed by lunch in the house. We really enjoyed our morning in the spa and completely relaxed. The staff were very welcoming and made us feel very relaxed. We had a Grabone voucher for a morning spa package which was very great value. The treatments were gorgeous and very relaxing. The therapists seem experienced it shows throughout the treatments. It is a small sized spa but is nicely laid out and warm and welcoming. The therapist brought us a yogurt shot with fresh fruit while we relaxed in the relaxation room which was a nice touch. Overall we loved the spa and treatments and would recommend to others.

We had lunch in the house and it was well worth the wait. Lunch isn't served until 2pm however the manager was nice enough to serve us coffee while we relaxed and waited for lunch. The food in Dunbrody is beautiful, great quality food which is served beautifully. We would recommend a day out in Dunbrody to anyone who wants to relax in a nice quiet and cozy house hotel. The staff are relaxed and welcoming and the house itself and gardens are lovely! We Look forward to returning.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Ferrycarrig Hotel
Ferrycarrig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ferrycarrig

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!