“There is just something lacking!”

Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in early March with my husband for one night. We did the cookery course that day, which was very entertaining. This was a christmas gift for my husband and had been booked a couple of months ago. The house is a lovely grand period house, lovely entrance hall. We were shown to our room which was small but quaint 209. We were so disappointed the bed was small. My husband said I will sleep on the floor. I never really complain but hearing my

husband say this down I went to reception. Basically the woman said we are booked up ! I may be wrong to say this but I felt she did not care really. She said she would say it to the manager. Anyway not to spoil dunbrody, and I our stay, we went down to reception room sat by the lovely open fire and had a few glasses of wine. We left early the next day, my husband hardly slept a wink. What I am saying here is that it is quiet expensive to stay and do the cookery course, which we were willing to pay, but then our expectations were much higher. I even wrote an email afterwards but never received a reply, which says a lot. It's not that we wanted anything, I suppose just an acknowledgement. ..there's just something lacking! !!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank rhondaIreland

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Myself and two friends went to Dunbrody recently for a spa day and it is suffice to say we will not be back again. We were paying with a grabone voucher but none the less, the standard of the visit was not how it should be for a hotel which likes to market themselves as 'luxury'.
The spa is like an after thought for the hotel, the relaxation area is literally three couches in a room with padded material walls which were stained and dirty looking, over one of the couches there was an electric wire taped up sticking from the wall. There were no fruit/ tea's or anything to make this relaxation area luxurious whatsoever, we were lucky to get a glass of water. We were brought what was being described as 'sorbet' but turned out to be a spoonfull of yoghurt in a shot glass.....! There is no pool here/ sauna or steam room noting which most spa's offer,to be honest I've been in more impressive beauty salons.
We had booked in for the mud treatments before our massage,facial and file/polish. The therapist admitted she had never even tried the mud room (In my opinion thats a bit green for such a prestigious hotel!)
We were told there wasn't enough mud (even though the couple after us also had mud treatments!).They seemed to struggle with the electronics of the mud chamber rooms and we sat for a long time while they fiddled around trying to get steam and showers working. Afterwards I waited in the relaxation room, there was only two therapists and three of us so it ment one of us always had to wait a long time.
My treatment room was nice but the beds could really do with upgrading, for a back massage...there was no face or arm rests! So it ment I was smothering uncomfortably in a pillow and it gave the therapist no way to massage my neck or shoulders correctly.The therapist also apologised that she couldnt get any music working in that room either, the experience was far from relaxing listening to myself breathing into a pillow and my tummy rumbling with the hunger from the lack of even an apple to snack on during the afternoon, oh and it didnt help that the relaxation room reading material was Kevin Dundons cookery books!
I next had the file and polish, I already had red nail varnish on and all I can say is that it looked better than what I left with! She left most of my old varnish around by the cuticles, she put on base coat and two coats of varnish and then top coat without leaving any time inbetween for the layers to dry, it ment two hours later my nails were still smudgeable (if thats a word!).
When we were all finished and waiting for my nails to dry one of the therapists came advise they were both now going to their next clients so nobody would be at the spa reception desk for us when leaving. This gave us no opportunity to voice our dissatisfaction or to point out that two out of the three of us didn't even recieve the full treatments as described on the voucher. Overall the experience was dissapointing, for similar value that we paid grabone we could have got a far superior spa experience in some of the other local hotels.I would have been livid if I had paid the prices they advertise.

Room Tip: Go some where else for spa days................
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank LadyElma
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in late January with a group of relatives we stayed in the lodge and a few
Members stayed in hotel.overall the staff were very pleasant and helpful but the lodge was haunted!! Between loud bangs from empty rooms to peoples objects being moved around ! And an overall feeling of unease ! When we brought this to hotel receptions attention we were simply laughed at !!! I along with several
Members of my group didn't sleep for a week !!!! Food was a disappointment as I don't like fish and the menu consisted of mainly fish dishes however they did allow me to order off a different menu and that was lovely !! Place itself is well finished and grounds are lovely. Unfortunately will 100% be never returning here again.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank AmyHannahG
Reviewed 18 March 2014

"On a recent visit to Wexford races, we decided to drop by Dunbrody Country House Hotel on the way home for a long awaited chance to experience first hand the reputation Kevin Dundon's restaurant, Coming after a long period of recent storms one could see that the surroundings were showing the scars but somehow it just aaded to the natural surroundings of the place. We had arrived early so we we had plenty of time to enjoy some pre dinner drinks in the cocktail bar complete with open fire. Service was excellent and the hour we had to spare sped by without noticing it. For dinner which offered an "early bird" option there were sufficient choices and flavour combinations to tempt either the adventurous or the more conservative palate. My own choice of of perfectly cooked duck was not I felt complimented by the near raw rhubarb which accompanied it. However the creme fraiche soufflet with apple will bring us back sometime to do an overnight stay, wander through the gardens and enjoy a pint or two in their on site pub. Cant wait !

Room Tip: "Be sure and visit the on site pub"
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in this very comfortable hotel. Our room was in the attic but was spacious & comfortable and had a small balcony which allowed us to enjoy some rare spring sunshine.
Service was excellent throughout our stay. The “Local Pub” is an excellent innovation – a more relaxed environment for a pint than the more “formal” bar in the hotel itself.
The only slight disappointment was the 4 course seasonal menu (€55) we had in the dining-room on our first night. The food was fine but no course was outstanding – I guess our expectations may have been unreasonably high due to the “celebrity chef” status of the joint owner.
On our second night we went to the adjoining “Local Pub” for a couple of pints and ended up eating there – some excellent & very reasonably priced Fish & chips.
We certainly hope to be back.

Room Tip: If allocated an attic room, get someone to bring up your bags.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My wife, my 14 months baby and I booked one night + cooking class at Dunbrody for late February.
To be honest, we were not sure what to expect given the mixed review on TA and travelling with a baby does not always get you sympathy from hotels staff.
I have to say I have been very impressed by the kindness, the thoughtfulness and the high level of professionalism in this very well kept house.
The staff ha been nothing short of helpful and really went the extra mile to make our stay unforgettable.
Dinner was lovely and choice of wine well above average.
The cooking class was exactly what I expected with young French Chef Julien who was both didactic and fun. Recipes are well suited to an average cook like me and I had no problem making them again at home. Well done, Dunbrody.
Overall it is a very nice place and I would absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank matdiver2
Reviewed 7 March 2014

was so looking forward to our stay,it was my birthday and myself and my sister had got a deal on face book for a nights stay here.
on arrival through gates felt the grounds were very unkept,arrived at the main house and waited at least five minutes after pressing bell to be greeted and brought to our room which was a bit dated and miss matched.We decided we would have a gls of wine while overlooking the gardens we opened the dirty window and all the bramble came in which obviously had not been trimmed back in a long time and the gardens looked as if they had not been maintained in a long time either.
So to dinner what was to be the high light with kevin being one of our celebrity chefs was looking forward to a tasting adventure. How wrong!! We were opting for the early bird menu as we were on a budget must have been the worst menu i have ever read, the choice of starters was duck or salmon and mains salmon or duck!!!! So we opted for salmon and duck one of each for starter and main,starters were fine nothing amazing but mains were dreadful tasteless boring even the presentation and vegetables were cold,the head waiter did ask at end was everything ok we replied no tasteless.Well he came back to say the chef said it must be our taste!!!!! desserts my sticky toffee was left to long in microwave so was to hard to eat chocolate fondant was nice but tiny.All there wine was over priced.
Not a good night sleep either as there was a problem with plumbing so pipes banging all night,After finding out that breakfast would cost us 25e each and after our dinner experience we decided to drive else where.
When paying the way over the top bill i was asked again was everything ok and explained no but the lady didnt care atall it went over her head and I did send an email to Cathrine and Kevin a week and half ago now the day we got home and still have not heard anything!!!
So all I can say folks go and spend your money else where this place does not live up to the standard that you would expect.

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lion533
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Brandon House Hotel
Brandon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Ross

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!