“Beware of Cancellation Charges”

Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked this hotel as we had planned to go to Malahide/Wexford on a break. I read an article about Dunbrody and it sounded great. As we were travelling down to Wexford I decided to include it in our itinerary. On 5th July I booked 2 nights 16 &17 July 2014 confirmation was received promptly. Unfortunately I had a fall on the 7th July 2014 so when the hotel bombarded me with emails offering spa treatments and discounts I decided to wait and see how I felt. We left for the trip and spent the first 3 nights in the Grand Hotel in Malahide and unfortunately I was getting much worse so we came home.

I rang the next two hotels I had booked - the Ashford Park Hotel in Gorey first as we were in fact due to arrive there within a few hours. I found them helpful and obliging saying they would accept the cancellation if I rebooked. The second one was Dunbrody House well the reaction was devastating and rude - “we charge for all cancellations if we cannot let the room”. I explained how ill I was and stated I was going to the RVH casualty department as soon as I finished the call. I went to the RVH casualty department and had an Xray which showed broken ribs. They were concerned about blood clots so I had to stay in overnight and have a scan the following day. The hospital agreed to let me home on the evening of 15th warning me I was radioactive should not go near pregnant women or children. The following day I rang the hotel and enquired if the room had been let and informed them I had been kept in hospital and could not be in contact with pregnant women or children so I would not have been allowed in to their hotel anyway. They were not interested - pay up was the only voice I heard.

Please be careful when booking here as local people do not usually have insurance for these trips and if you fall into the trap and book a treatment in the spa you will be charged as well.

I would be very wary of booking in advance and feel this property is rarely fully booked and upon reading trip advisor I think I can understand why - unfortunately I read it a little late’

This nasty experience has cost me €230.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank sharks25

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very disappointing stay here - the place was nice but the food was so-so and the service shambolic. For the money they charge, you could stay in some where genuinely good. Would not reccomend at all. So disappointing for what should have been a lovely weekend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Simon T
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The hotel and grounds were beautiful and the pub provided a very limited menu but the food was quite good. If you go to the hotel's website they advertise themselves as a "spa." When we arrived we were looking for the "spa" experience, but the staff that provides this service was off for 2 days! Not acceptable. They do not have a sauna, pool, jacuzzi or steam room. The rooms were quite large and comfortable and the grounds were beautiful. The internet was very limited and unavailable in our room which was a bit frustrating.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kenneth M
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Very poor meal, really disappointing. 45 minute delay between our starter and mains, wrong dessert then whipped away and replaced by the fourth waitress serving our table, a shambles. For a hotel run by 'celeb' chef, charging exhorbitant prices, this is just not acceptable. Theh beginners i heir cookery school would have served up better fare than this. The house is nice, but the food is terrible.

Room Tip: Rooms all have character, just avoid eating in the restaurant
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank James K
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here in late June 2014 for 2 nights. It was excellent-a really lovely place to spend some time.
The staff were friendly, helpful and engaging right from when we arrived.
The food was great quality-seasonal, beautifully cooked and presented. Lots of local produce on the menu, including a delicous cheese board and lots of produce from their own kitchen garden, which you can visit. Breakfast was equally good.
We had a charming, comfortable and spacious room in a historic country house that oozes character.
Thanks to the owner and the staff for a lovely time. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a two night stay in dunbrody with friends and were looking forward to a real treat - having heard so much about it. We got a lovely welcome from the staff and enjoyed a complimentary cocktail sitting out in the garden in beautiful sunshine. Our rooms, the breakfasts and service were all wonderful - but the biggest let down was the dinner on our first night. Food was only ok - certainly not to the standard of a top class restaurant. Kevin Dundon was not in the kitchen that night - and I wonder did this impact the quality of the food. The beef had no flavour whatsoever and the vegetables offered were little potatoes with pieces of cabbage mixed in - presented in a copper pot . We didn't eat in the restaurant the following night - and had a most wonderful meal in a local pub/restaurant - The Hollow. Would highly recommend that. The chefs in dunbrody could learn a thing or two from the chefs in The Hollow.
Pity - as the house is lovely and otherwise had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. Kevin is lucky to have such good staff running the house while he is not there - but needs to pay more attention to the kitchen staff.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank margaretmc150
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Wanted to try this restaurant having heard about it for some time. What a disappointment! Simply not up the standard of the price expected. It is 'blue-book', but the dining experience was more akin to a B&B.

The wine was very well matched with the dishes, but the food itself was merely average and was expecting a lot more from it.
This brings me to my next big disappointment, the service. the staff were trained to the level of weddings or banquet waters without any modicum of class or demeanor.

I think were approached by nearly every member of the floor staff asking the same questions again and again, and even the more mature members ( I presume the managers) simply did not know enough about either the food or wine to justify the price of the meal. The table settings were a disaster, forks and knives tossed down on the table in any random order.

These are just a few of the low-lights for me, and I could go on , but the crux for me was when we were informed 5 times, from 5 different people that our souffles had be 'dropped' and we were offered no form of libation to calm our nerves during the 20 minute wait. We did suggest to one of the staff that a glass of desert wine would be nice, and it was fuzzily agreed that this would be 'on the house', this did not transpire as the manageress made sure that every item was included, and failed to apologize for the delay, or even ask how we enjoyed the meal when paying for the bill.

We will not be back until this hotel is either renovated or sold to someone with a strong belief in service and value.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Conrd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa
Waterford Marina Hotel
Waterford Marina Hotel
#3 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!