“A Nourishing and Relaxing Break”

Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Dunbrody House located on the Hook Peninsula which offers endless opportunities for coastal walks, visits to rich and varied historical sites and lazy days on intimate beaches. We arrived at Dunbrody House on Sunday the 20th July 2014 for a two night stay and enjoyed it so much we extended it by a further three nights. Our appreciation to Sarah and Catherine for accommodating us with a ‘short notice booking’.
Dunbrody House is a fabulous place to stay. The bedrooms are extremely comfortable, meticulously clean and beautifully decorated and furnished in keeping with the history of the house. Overall we experienced a most relaxed atmosphere, excellent service and delicious food in both dining room and bar. We loved the fresh vegetables from the kitchen garden.
The staff were very helpful and pleasant at all times. Proprietors Catherine and Kevin to be commended for their personable presence and offering an experience in gracious living. We would highly recommend Dunbrody House. It nourishes both body and soul.
We look forward to a return visit.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom G
AdrianRoss73, Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your review which has left us very humble.
We are glad that you found your stay to be in a most relaxed atmosphere, having received excellent service and delicious food.
We will see you again soon!
Kind Regards
Adrian

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in march with my husband.. I submitted a review after our stay, to speak about our great disappointment.. since then I often flick through reviews to see was it just us that were left with a bitter taste in our mouths from our stay!! I just wish I had read trip adviser before I booked because if I had I would have never booked to stay in dunbrody.. I

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
25  Thank rhondaIreland

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for posting two reviews one in March titled " There is just something lacking" and this currant one. I would like to apologise for the experience you received and room 209 has been ear marked for a facelift. All reviews are read and unfortunately due to a change of management and a hectic period some have not been responded to.
Should you decide to return to Dunbrody House, please contact me directly at the hotel and I will be delighted to assist you.
Kind Regards
Adrian

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked this hotel as we had planned to go to Malahide/Wexford on a break. I read an article about Dunbrody and it sounded great. As we were travelling down to Wexford I decided to include it in our itinerary. On 5th July I booked 2 nights 16 &17 July 2014 confirmation was received promptly. Unfortunately I had a fall on the 7th July 2014 so when the hotel bombarded me with emails offering spa treatments and discounts I decided to wait and see how I felt. We left for the trip and spent the first 3 nights in the Grand Hotel in Malahide and unfortunately I was getting much worse so we came home.

I rang the next two hotels I had booked - the Ashford Park Hotel in Gorey first as we were in fact due to arrive there within a few hours. I found them helpful and obliging saying they would accept the cancellation if I rebooked. The second one was Dunbrody House well the reaction was devastating and rude - “we charge for all cancellations if we cannot let the room”. I explained how ill I was and stated I was going to the RVH casualty department as soon as I finished the call. I went to the RVH casualty department and had an Xray which showed broken ribs. They were concerned about blood clots so I had to stay in overnight and have a scan the following day. The hospital agreed to let me home on the evening of 15th warning me I was radioactive should not go near pregnant women or children. The following day I rang the hotel and enquired if the room had been let and informed them I had been kept in hospital and could not be in contact with pregnant women or children so I would not have been allowed in to their hotel anyway. They were not interested - pay up was the only voice I heard.

Please be careful when booking here as local people do not usually have insurance for these trips and if you fall into the trap and book a treatment in the spa you will be charged as well.

I would be very wary of booking in advance and feel this property is rarely fully booked and upon reading trip advisor I think I can understand why - unfortunately I read it a little late’

This nasty experience has cost me €230.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank sharks25
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very disappointing stay here - the place was nice but the food was so-so and the service shambolic. For the money they charge, you could stay in some where genuinely good. Would not reccomend at all. So disappointing for what should have been a lovely weekend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Simon T
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The hotel and grounds were beautiful and the pub provided a very limited menu but the food was quite good. If you go to the hotel's website they advertise themselves as a "spa." When we arrived we were looking for the "spa" experience, but the staff that provides this service was off for 2 days! Not acceptable. They do not have a sauna, pool, jacuzzi or steam room. The rooms were quite large and comfortable and the grounds were beautiful. The internet was very limited and unavailable in our room which was a bit frustrating.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kenneth M
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Very poor meal, really disappointing. 45 minute delay between our starter and mains, wrong dessert then whipped away and replaced by the fourth waitress serving our table, a shambles. For a hotel run by 'celeb' chef, charging exhorbitant prices, this is just not acceptable. Theh beginners i heir cookery school would have served up better fare than this. The house is nice, but the food is terrible.

Room Tip: Rooms all have character, just avoid eating in the restaurant
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank James K
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here in late June 2014 for 2 nights. It was excellent-a really lovely place to spend some time.
The staff were friendly, helpful and engaging right from when we arrived.
The food was great quality-seasonal, beautifully cooked and presented. Lots of local produce on the menu, including a delicous cheese board and lots of produce from their own kitchen garden, which you can visit. Breakfast was equally good.
We had a charming, comfortable and spacious room in a historic country house that oozes character.
Thanks to the owner and the staff for a lovely time. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Brandon House Hotel
Brandon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Ross

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!